Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 12:53 PM   #7621
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
Fine, not world class. But nothing to sneeze at. The Edmonton Fringe Festival is the oldest and largest arts festival in North America. 850,000 attendees to the last one.
I don't know it for a fact, but the bolded sounds like utter bull#### to me. I'm sure someone will do a quick search and find something to refute this shortly.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:08 PM   #7622
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fine, not world class. But nothing to sneeze at. The Edmonton Fringe Festival is the oldest and largest arts festival in North America. 850,000 attendees to the last one.
Hardly seems like the 'Fringe' to me, when are they re-branding it the 'Edmonton Mainstream' Festival?

Or maybe thats why Edmonton so weird, too many people from the 'Fringes' of society hang out there...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 07-26-2017, 01:10 PM   #7623
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Hardly seems like the 'Fringe' to me, when are they re-branding it the 'Edmonton Mainstream' Festival?

Or maybe thats why Edmonton so weird, too many people from the 'Fringes' of society hang out there...
Dad Joke Hall of Fame Inductee 2017
The Following User Says Thank You to JFK For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 01:17 PM   #7624
wingmaker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Edmonton Fringe Festival is a fantastic festival. It was the first Fringe festival in North America and remains among the largest, bigger than Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal Fringe festivals. The number of venues and performers, and the support that the Fringe offers to the acts that win the lottery, is unique in Canada. Calgary has nothing even close to the Edmonton Fringe as far as arts festivals. Even the High Performance Rodeo does not come close to the number of acts or venues.

The fact that people on here haven't heard about it says more about them than it does about the festival itself. Anyone who knows anything about theatre in Canada knows about the Edmonton Fringe.
Harry, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it, don't wait for it, just... let it happen. Could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or... two cups of good, hot, black coffee.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wingmaker For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 01:17 PM   #7625
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I guess the same day the Edinburgh Fringe Festival changes its name because it sold 2M tickets...
Old 07-26-2017, 01:18 PM   #7626
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I don't know it for a fact, but the bolded sounds like utter bull#### to me. I'm sure someone will do a quick search and find something to refute this shortly.
Maybe before calling someone out, look it up yourself, it's just a "quick search".
Old 07-26-2017, 01:21 PM   #7627
wingmaker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

The concept of the Fringe festival in general started in Edinburgh as a response to the Edinburgh Festival, which was a mainstream festival to which you had to be invited to perform. Amateur theatre groups and professional theatre groups presenting work that was not liked by the curators of the Edinburgh Festival used the Fringe as a way of competing. The Edinburgh Fringe remains the largest and the only Fringe Festival as far as I know that is an open festival, meaning literally anyone can perform in it as long as they pay the registration fee and find themselves a venue.

The Edmonton Fringe Festival modelled itself after the Edinburgh fringe. It operates as a lottery system, meaning anyone can apply but only the people who win the lottery can perform.

The reason the Fringe label still has meaning and still is important is because you do not have to be invited. This means that anyone has the chance to present their work. Fringe festivals the world over have been launching grounds for theatre companies, actors, directors, etc that otherwise would have a difficult time presenting their work to the number of audience members that the Fringe Festivals enjoy. The Fringe name has a meaning, even though their popularity has made them more prominent than even many curated and professional theatre festivals.

The Edmonton Fringe started the use of the Fringe festival in North America. It is historically an important cultural institution in Canada.
Harry, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it, don't wait for it, just... let it happen. Could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or... two cups of good, hot, black coffee.

Last edited by wingmaker; 07-26-2017 at 01:25 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to wingmaker For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 01:23 PM   #7628
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
From Wikipedia, the Edmonton Fringe started in 1982. The Stratford Shakespeare Festival in Ontario has been running since 1953.

Just for Laughs in Montreal started in 1983 (so, Edmonton beats them by one year) and their Facebook page says they attract over 2 million people each year.

The Montreal Jazz Festival has been around since 1980 and has attendance of 2.5 million a year.

Those are just a few in Canada that come immediately to mind.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:23 PM   #7629
Iniggywetrust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This thread has taken a really weird turn.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:26 PM   #7630
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I guess the same day the Edinburgh Fringe Festival changes its name because it sold 2M tickets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingmaker View Post
The concept of the Fringe festival in general started in Edinburgh as a response to the Edinburgh Festival, which was a mainstream festival to which you had to be invited to perform. The Edinburgh Fringe remains the largest and the only Fringe Festival as far as I know that is an open festival, meaning literally anyone can perform in it as long as they pay the registration fee and find themselves a venue.

The Edmonton Fringe Festival modelled itself after the Edinburgh fringe. It operates as a lottery system, meaning anyone can apply but only the people who win the lottery can perform.

The reason the Fringe label still has meaning and still is important is because you do not have to be invited. This means that anyone has the chance to present their work. Fringe festivals the world over have been launching grounds for theatre companies, actors, directors, etc that otherwise would have a difficult time presenting their work to the number of audience members that the Fringe Festivals enjoy. The Fringe name has a meaning, even though their popularity has made them more prominent than even many curated and professional theatre festivals.
Okay....I know its the off-season and all, and temperatures are high both literally and figuratively, but this is the E=NG2 thread...most comments in here are not taken all that seriously.

I was taking fun jabs at Edmonton's pride and joy festival (until McDavid gets his own festival, thats a thing thats happening!) tongue firmly in cheek.

Did you not read my super terrible joke about its name?

I'm sure its a fine festival, super deserving of the term 'World Class,' which is arguably among my least favourite terms for just about anything.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 07-26-2017, 01:27 PM   #7631
wingmaker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah it is incorrect. But it is the oldest and arguably still largest FRINGE Festival in North America.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:28 PM   #7632
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iniggywetrust View Post
"My festival is better then your festival''
Old 07-26-2017, 01:28 PM   #7633
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Edmonton is no good, Edmonton is no good, Edmonton is no good, Edmonton is no good, Edmonton is no good, Edmonton is no good, Edmonton is no good, Edmonton is no good, Edmonton is no good, Edmonton is no good, Edmonton is no good, Edmonton is no good,

Edmonton is no good!!!!!! Lets get back to E=NG
Old 07-26-2017, 01:28 PM   #7634
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I do this to Erik all the time so it seems only fair:

Iniggywetrust, meet Off-Season CP, Off-Season CP? Iniggywetrust.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:28 PM   #7635
wingmaker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Okay....I know its the off-season and all, and temperatures are high both literally and figuratively, but this is the E=NG2 thread...most comments in here are not taken all that seriously.

I was taking fun jabs at Edmonton's pride and joy festival (until McDavid gets his own festival, thats a thing thats happening!) tongue firmly in cheek.

Did you not read my super terrible joke about its name?

I'm sure its a fine festival, super deserving of the term 'World Class,' which is arguably among my least favourite terms for just about anything.
Yeah, "world class" is a terrible term. Means absolutely nothing.

I got your joke, but I also think most people don't actually know what the Fringe Festival is and why it has meaning.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:33 PM   #7636
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingmaker View Post
Yeah it is incorrect. But it is the oldest and arguably still largest FRINGE Festival in North America.
Yeah, there's not a lot of competition for that particular title.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:35 PM   #7637
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK View Post
Dad Joke Hall of Fame Inductee 2017
You're just jealous. I can see the envy oozing out of your posts.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:36 PM   #7638
wingmaker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, there's not a lot of competition for that particular title.
Actually, that is not true. There are Fringe festivals in most cities across North America, including Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, New York, Washington, San Fransisco, Chicago, etc etc. May not be important to some people, but they hold an important place in the North American cultural landscape. The Edmonton Fringe is an important theatre festival. Period.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:37 PM   #7639
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Edmonton is no good. Period.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:42 PM   #7640
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:

I blame Edmonton and the handful of insufferable Oilers fans in this thread. They make everything unbearable...

...or hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Closed Thread