Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 12:47 PM   #3721
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

[QUOTE=Fuzz;5893731]...just bunny hop the whole stupid thing. /QUOTE]

That's what I would do.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2016, 12:49 PM   #3722
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Calgary Roads dept fail, again. Ugh. You could do what you suggest, but if it is busy I'd come around to the right, and stop and pull off the road at the cross walk. Get off, and be a pedestrian to cross. If it isn't busy, just bunny hop the whole stupid thing. Why couldn't they just make it a traffic circle? Why 3/4 of one?
I 'think' that Mount Royal has an issue with Cars cutting through and these traffic circles are meant to limit cars taking side roads.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:55 PM   #3723
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah, the one thing that can over-rule the almighty vehicle. Nimby's. Every other user is just a casualty.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:10 AM   #3724
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rides home like yesterday are almost enough to make me quit riding. Good lord, that was cold and wet.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:17 AM   #3725
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Rides home like yesterday are almost enough to make me quit riding. Good lord, that was cold and wet.
You just need a big hill added to the ride! I was cold until I hit Mount Royal then... hill climb time.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:19 AM   #3726
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had a few of those as well. The wind kicked up and it rained harder as I hit the biggest climb.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:05 AM   #3727
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, it was pretty sucky. But I just reminds myself, it's only sucky for 20 minutes, whereas the bus sucks for 45.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:02 AM   #3728
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find cold and rainy rides are unpleasant for the first 10 minutes or so, and then I get into a kind of zone where I get satisfaction from defying the elements. There's something primal about grunting up a hill with rain drizzling off your face. Knowing there's a pot of tea waiting at the end of the ride helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2016, 10:36 AM   #3729
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

My gear sucked yesterday, so partially my fault. Uphill and into the north wind didn't help, either.

It also reaffirmed that riding in snow is MUCH better than riding through rain.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2016, 06:10 PM   #3730
pope04
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
little chilly this mornin' on the commute
This morning, after I locked up and walked into the office, a co-worker saw me and almost shouted, "those are the gayest pants I've ever seen."

Me: "I'm actually wearing leg warmers." Hilarity at my expense ensued.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:35 PM   #3731
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's way to warm for leg warmers!
Old 09-10-2016, 09:50 AM   #3732
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:
Default Installing Crosstop Brake Levers

I picked up my sons a used youth road bike because they keep bugging me to go for longer rides. They're having trouble with the brakes because it's still a bit of a reach for them. I was thinking of getting a crosstop rear brake installed until they grow a bit. Do you think a LBS do this for me? I'd give it a try myself but I value my children's lives more than I trust my mechanical ability.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:56 AM   #3733
pope04
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It's way to warm for leg warmers!
Haha, that's what my wife says. It was +2, and my limit is +5 for shorts alone.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:41 AM   #3734
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rode Whiteail connector, bragging rights and Merlin this morning - could have been the best conditions of the year. Trails dry, dusty and fast......

Last edited by Northendzone; 09-10-2016 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:51 AM   #3735
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I picked up my sons a used youth road bike because they keep bugging me to go for longer rides. They're having trouble with the brakes because it's still a bit of a reach for them. I was thinking of getting a crosstop rear brake installed until they grow a bit. Do you think a LBS do this for me? I'd give it a try myself but I value my children's lives more than I trust my mechanical ability.

Id assume any shop would do that for you.

Id think about doing it yourself. There's youtube videos that show how to do the install. If you can wrench on a bike, you should be able to do the install. Youll either get it done or you wont, you shouldnt get into a situation where its halfassed and your not sure if its safe.

Its hard to tell from that pic, but if that bike is too big for your son, it wont be fun to ride and it might be hard for him to handle. If he cant handle it properly, moving the brakes wont fix that.

If you are going to pay a shop to install the brakes, you might want to consider whether the cost of parts and labour is worth it or whether you could put it toward a different bike for a year until your son grows into this current one.
The Following User Says Thank You to taco.vidal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2016, 03:12 PM   #3736
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
Id assume any shop would do that for you.

Id think about doing it yourself. There's youtube videos that show how to do the install. If you can wrench on a bike, you should be able to do the install. Youll either get it done or you wont, you shouldnt get into a situation where its halfassed and your not sure if its safe.

Its hard to tell from that pic, but if that bike is too big for your son, it wont be fun to ride and it might be hard for him to handle. If he cant handle it properly, moving the brakes wont fix that.

If you are going to pay a shop to install the brakes, you might want to consider whether the cost of parts and labour is worth it or whether you could put it toward a different bike for a year until your son grows into this current one.
Cyclepath is taking care of it. It's about $60-70 for parts and labour. They don't have to remove the handlebar tape so it's pretty easy.

I looked at a few videos and probably could have handled it but for $30-40 (after buying the parts) it's easier to leave it to the professionals.

Size-wize, my kid is in a bit of an awkward stage. He's getting too big for his 19" bike. I could have tried to find a 20" road bike for him but it would have lasted a season. The 24" should give him a couple years use before it passed down to his brother.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:17 PM   #3737
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Cyclepath is taking care of it. It's about $60-70 for parts and labour. They don't have to remove the handlebar tape so it's pretty easy.

I looked at a few videos and probably could have handled it but for $30-40 (after buying the parts) it's easier to leave it to the professionals.

Size-wize, my kid is in a bit of an awkward stage. He's getting too big for his 19" bike. I could have tried to find a 20" road bike for him but it would have lasted a season. The 24" should give him a couple years use before it passed down to his brother.
Cool. Hope you guys have fun riding the rest of the season.
Old 09-11-2016, 04:31 PM   #3738
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sooo, managed to bend the bracket of my saddle. Any suggestions on a good mountain biking saddle?
Old 09-11-2016, 05:14 PM   #3739
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I bought a bontranger saddle at Cyclepath, bontranger has some kind of device that I sat on and it measured my sit bones and it suggested a certain model saddle.

This is such a personal choice as any saddle that I recommend may not feel great to you.

My Thunderbolt currently has a chromag moon, while it originally came with a wtb saddle that will be installed very soon on my fat bike - out of these three, I think I like the bontranger one the best.

Fizik has a lot of cool looking and pricy saddles
Old 09-11-2016, 05:27 PM   #3740
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never sat on a Fizik saddle that didn't feel like a slab of concrete after 5 minutes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread