Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-30-2010, 11:38 PM   #61
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
While I would never question your right to not like basketball, saying you'd donate $100 to make sure no one else is able to watch it is a pretty nutso comment to make.

1. It's about as right-wing as you can possibly get.
2. $100 is a pretty crazy number. I think you'd have to come up with a lot more than that.

Anyway, putting the crazy stuff aside... I see a lot of people making general "I hate" comments in this thread, but I've never understood why people hate basketball in this city.

If someone were to ask me why I hate MLB, I can hammer out a top 10 list of reasons in about 30 seconds... so why do you guys hate basketball?
Good of you to take me so seriously. First of all, it's the left-wingers who want to prevent others doing stuff. Second, I do not wish to spearhead this laudable initiative - if someone else does, I will donate the c-note. $100 represents the extent of my caring - I hate basketball just enough to pay a little bit of money never to see it or hear of it.
As to why I hate it... one reason is only 2 of the 48 minutes are relevant, and it's just not a sport that fits into the cultural panorama of a young Russian lad from the Steppes...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:41 PM   #62
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Good of you to take me so seriously. First of all, it's the left-wingers who want to prevent others doing stuff. Second, I do not wish to spearhead this laudable initiative - if someone else does, I will donate the c-note. $100 represents the extent of my caring - I hate basketball just enough to pay a little bit of money never to see it or hear of it.
As to why I hate it... one reason is only 2 of the 48 minutes are relevant, and it's just not a sport that fits into the cultural panorama of a young Russian lad from the Steppes...
Ah, that politics stuff. Such a crazy world. Right, left, up down.

You know... you could save yourself $100 and just change the channel if it happens to come on. That way, other people get to watch the games and you get to watch something else!
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:06 AM   #63
Rhetts_the_Best
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Rhetts_the_Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:09 AM   #64
bcb
Scoring Winger

Exp:

People will be divided about whether they like Basketball, but if the game can survive in New Orleans, with a CMA ~= to Calgary (and a lot poorer), it could at least mathematically work here.

Henry Steel Commager (1902-1998)

bcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:10 AM   #65
bcb
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Not to mention that kids here are just as exposed to basketball as down south.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:17 AM   #66
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7uongo View Post
You think people would be interested in buying a Porche when there isnt any interest in buying cars? Good thing you dont own a high end dealership in a city who dont like cars

If there was interest in watching live basketball, they'd be there at the Drillers games, and we'd at least be able to sustain a pro basketball team for more than a single season. The idea that the NBA would even have an ounce of interest in Calgary is a joke
Actually, the Drillers didn't even last a season, and the team was dead on arrival as well. But that tends to happen when you have teams owned by underfinanced people, managed by ######s and playing in a league that exists only to make its owner rich via a revolving door teams arriving and folding with a constant supply of expansion fees. Several teams play in high school gyms, for christ sake.

You might as well say Calgary couldn't support an NHL team because the AJHL doesn't draw flies.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:20 AM   #67
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcb View Post
People will be divided about whether they like Basketball, but if the game can survive in New Orleans, with a CMA ~= to Calgary (and a lot poorer), it could at least mathematically work here.
New Orleans doesn't have two hockey teams to compete against either.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:24 AM   #68
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Calgary will never get a big league team that isn't the Calgary Flames.
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:31 AM   #69
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

While I would love to see a pro basketball team in Calgary, I don't think it makes sense. Calgary has to be way, way, way down on the list of potential expansion markets for the NBA. They'd go back to both Seattle and Vancouver before they came to Calgary. Not to mention places like San Diego, St Louis, Kansas City, Baltimore and Vegas.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:37 AM   #70
drewboy12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Here's the thing, though. the NBA is in numerous cities that when you include the surrounding area, are smaller than, or equal to Calgary, including Salt Lake City, Oklahoma City, and New Orleans.

Keep in mind, Calgary wasn't what it was in the early 90's with it's sports franchises. A strong CDN$ along with a wealthy overall demorgraphic would likely allow Calgary to support a team, on paper at least.

Ok, I'll really stir the pot now

I predict Calgary could better support an NBA franchise (in the long run) than Winnipeg could support NHL.
I would have to disagree.

Sports, let alone basketball just is not the same in Canada. People are religious when it comes to sports in America. The solid fan base of season ticket holders and people who would go to the games here would be so small. Calgary is lucky we had a NHL run in 04, before that we could hardly support our hockey franchise... Hockey and Calgary seems to go hand and hand and the Flames where almost on the chopping block.... Good luck with an NBA team. Year one maybe would have half decent attendance due to curiosity, after that it would drop down and the team would be bankrupt going into year three. We come from a country where people just do not care as much for sporting events as other countries.

Last edited by drewboy12; 01-31-2010 at 12:43 AM.
drewboy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:02 AM   #71
bcb
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
New Orleans doesn't have two hockey teams to compete against either.
No, but it has football and college sports.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:02 AM   #72
bcb
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
While I would love to see a pro basketball team in Calgary, I don't think it makes sense. Calgary has to be way, way, way down on the list of potential expansion markets for the NBA. They'd go back to both Seattle and Vancouver before they came to Calgary. Not to mention places like San Diego, St Louis, Kansas City, Baltimore and Vegas.
Not if the NHL can get there first

Old 01-31-2010, 01:18 AM   #73
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the main reason the Grizzlies failed was the same reason the Flames almost left, the lousy Canadian dollar exchange rate.

Having said that, I like basketball just not the NBA version anymore. The players are a bunch of posing, crybaby want to be gangsters and the officiating isn't any better.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:35 AM   #74
henriksedin33
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
the racial demographics are just a bit different between the two cities...
henriksedin33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:45 AM   #75
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
I wouldn't watch an NBA game unless I got free tickets.
even then i wouldn't go. basketball is even more boring to watch than soccer, i just don't get the draw at all
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:47 AM   #76
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

The NBA has no interest in coming to Calgary. Nobody sane would want to bankroll an NBA team here if they did. If you scored the special meth that makes reality bend exactly the way you want, in order to ignore these first two problems, the attendance would be still abysmal and the team would move or fold inside 5 years.

Let me put it this way - Calgary *could* have lost its HOCKEY team due to lack of support. Hockey, as in the most popular sport in Canada. How can you make a business case for basketball, which is undoubtedly LAST in popularity among the major sports here in Calgary, in light of that? You can't.

It is not going to happen now, it is not going to happen in 10 years, and I would bet big money it is not going to happen ever. The whole concept is beyond ludicrous.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:07 AM   #77
drewboy12
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Oilers have a better chance at winning the Cup this year then an NBA team coming to Calgary.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:31 AM   #78
Super Nintendo Chalmers
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Grizzlies would be the LA Clippers of basketball if the NBA didn't already have one. I'm glad they're gone.
Super Nintendo Chalmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:34 PM   #79
Flames in 07
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Calgarian's make for great hockey fans that attract owners, but they make terrible fans of almost every other sport. Outside of hockey Calgary has luke warm interest in CFL and basically no interest in anything else. Calgary doesn't want the NBA, and the NBA doesn't want Calgary.
Flames in 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames in 07 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2010, 10:54 PM   #80
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
IIRC they averaged close to 8 to 9 thousand fans a game. Imagine the numbers if it was the NBA. In that regard i think an NBA team would do quite well here.
Even if they did average that many fans it was because it was cheap, NBA tickets are expensive as hell. how many people in cowtown love that game enough to pay $350.00 a seat in the lower bowl?

Answer is probably somewhere between 0-2000 or simply not enough.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote