Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-30-2010, 05:00 PM   #21
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

I don't think Calgary could support an NBA team. There just isn't enough demand here. The perceived culture of NBA players is too much different then the population here.

The NBA as a whole is struggling right now.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:02 PM   #22
7uongo
Banned Stupid Person

Exp:

We couldnt even support the Drillers and you want to talk about an NBA team?

sorry, this thread hasnt been thought through
7uongo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 7uongo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2010, 05:02 PM   #23
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Grizzlies didn't fail as much as they got mismanaged and then swindled by an owner who said he wouldn't move the team

they were not really any more worse off than Toronto, their management team was terrible in drafting and free agents etc.

I think David Stern said in an interview a few years ago that the league messed up the Vancouver NBA franchise, found it

Quote:
"I wish we hadn't had the Vancouver experience," he said on the BS Report. "Great city, and we disappointed them and we disappointed ourselves."

The Grizzlies left Vancouver for Memphis after six awful seasons, none of which featured a playoff appearance. They made bad draft choices (Steve Francis, Bryant Reeves), bad coaching decision (Stu Jackson, Brian Winters) and compiled an astoundingly bad 101-359 record before leaving for Memphis.

So terrible was the NBA experience in Vancouver that Stern basically ruled out the possibility that the league would ever consider giving it another shot in B.C.'s biggest city.

"I don't think we can go back," he said. "I think that was a great city, and I think we just didn't take advantage of the opportunity."
but no, the nba wouldn't go/work in calgary
d_phaneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:06 PM   #24
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
I don't think Calgary could support an NBA team. There just isn't enough demand here. The perceived culture of NBA players is too much different then the population here.

The NBA as a whole is struggling right now.

And the reason for that is that it provides a crappy product. The games aren't entertaining and most of them aren't competitive.

The rules need some serious attention to make it a team game again, instead of a 1 on 1 league which is what they have now.

Until that happens, people will go elsewhere for their basketball fix. It's a great game when it's pure.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:06 PM   #25
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

As much as I enjoy going to live NBA games, I just can't see the product making it here. Plus how many other American markets are there that could support it?

As said before in jest, we might stand a chance of being able to support an NFL team. And that is because it is a huge difference to pay $150 8 times per year as opposed to $150 40 times per year.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:12 PM   #26
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

While I realize it would never happen, I would absolutely love an NBA team in Calgary. Maybe we can get some exhibition games in the new arena or something.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:19 PM   #27
krazycanuck
Won the Worst Son Ever Award

Exp:

Calgary would get an MLB team before they get an NBA team...that is to say...never ever ever.

if you did a poll of most popular sports in Calgary basketball would probably rank somewhere between Turkish Oil Wrestling and Jai Alai.
krazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:40 PM   #28
DrJ
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Toronto a few years ago could barely support an NBA franchise. Without the emergence of Bosh, Raptors would be extinct.
DrJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:00 PM   #29
Jetsfan
Account Removed @ User's Request

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcb View Post
I wonder why NBA in Vancouver failed and is doing reasonably well in Toronto.

I believe I heard that Maple Leafs Season Ticket Holders are required to purchase Raptors Season Tickets in addition to the Leafs tickets.

Rather than bring the NBA the Flames may want to follow the Philladelphia Flyers lead and bring their AHL team to Calgary.
Jetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jetsfan For This Useful Post:
bcb
Old 01-30-2010, 06:02 PM   #30
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Calgary supported the 88s just fine, the whole league dissolved around them. The 88s were the only stable franchise in the league.

Gotta love height restrictions, though. The league had a 6'3 maximum height for players.
IIRC they averaged close to 8 to 9 thousand fans a game. Imagine the numbers if it was the NBA. In that regard i think an NBA team would do quite well here.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:05 PM   #31
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

First to premise, I really hate the NBA version of basketball.

I don't think that Calgary would support a franchise that would probably start out being worse then the Grizzly's I have my doubts that players would want to play here.

I don't think that the thug lite image that the NBA would fly here, at least I hope it wouldn't.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:07 PM   #32
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

F no
Old 01-30-2010, 06:12 PM   #33
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7uongo View Post
Rofl. You don't know much about the ABA, do you? That's like saying nobody in this city would want a Porche because they refuse to buy a used Chevy Nova.

Anyway, there already is a second professional team in the Saddledome, the Roughnecks. There is also that well supported junior hockey team. The three combined fill about 100 dates over the fall winter and spring. Bringing in a fourth team would create a scheduling nightmare on top of badly oversaturating the market.

Of course, there is also zero chance the NBA would even be interested in Calgary.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:14 PM   #34
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I think the Grizzlies had better attendance in Vancouver, than Memphis, amirite?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:19 PM   #35
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Calgary supported the 88s just fine, the whole league dissolved around them. The 88s were the only stable franchise in the league.

Gotta love height restrictions, though. The league had a 6'3 maximum height for players.
Correct. I believe we were one of only two teams in the league who didn't end up bankrupt.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:22 PM   #36
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
IIRC they averaged close to 8 to 9 thousand fans a game. Imagine the numbers if it was the NBA. In that regard i think an NBA team would do quite well here.
Try closer to 3000 per game. The biggest attendance ever was for the all-star game in `89 which was 9000. I went to a ton of 88`s games and they were lucky to fill half the lower bowl.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:28 PM   #37
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Never.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:34 PM   #38
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazycanuck View Post
Calgary would get an MLB team before they get an NBA team...that is to say...never ever ever.

if you did a poll of most popular sports in Calgary basketball would probably rank somewhere between Turkish Oil Wrestling and Jai Alai.
It seems a good number of the youth generation in this city likes basketball. Especially the minority population. However probably not enough interest from corporate support and those that would pay the season tickets to allow the team to survive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJ View Post
Toronto a few years ago could barely support an NBA franchise. Without the emergence of Bosh, Raptors would be extinct.
That's with lots of teams for any league. Some cities can handle mediocracy for a long period of time because the support is very hardcore and dedicated. But many cities in all of the big leagues except for NFL would be having the same issue Raptors would have without Bosh.

That's a large reason Grizzlies failed in Vancouver. Bad team management lead to fans not wanting to invest into the product. If they had a roadmap to competitiveness and make the playoff at least once, they could possibly be still there. People want to pay for winners resulting in a good product.

The NBA product itself though isn't great right now which is why I only watch Raptors and other NBA games sparingly. The whole fiasco of the last five minutes taking a half hour to finish is a great turnoff for me. I don't want to see five million timeouts and free throws, causing it for each score to occur in two minute intervals.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:39 PM   #39
Papi34
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Id buy season tickets. but it wont ever happen
Papi34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:42 PM   #40
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7uongo View Post

sorry, this thread hasnt been thought through
Edmonton needs an NHL team first before they start thinking about supporting any other pro team