Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Best guess at Sam Bennett's contract
2 years $6M ($3/) 34 5.57%
2 years $5.5M 62 10.16%
2 years $5M 105 17.21%
2 years $4.5M 118 19.34%
2 years $4M 55 9.02%
3 years $9M 53 8.69%
3 years $8.25M 47 7.70%
3 years $7.5M 54 8.85%
3 years $6.75M 30 4.92%
3 years $6M 10 1.64%
1 year deal 8 1.31%
Long Term deal 34 5.57%
Voters: 610. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2017, 01:20 PM   #61
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ullr View Post
I'm pretty certain that Draisatl is the #2 center for the Oilers and has been that way for the majority of the season. He basically has been a Malkin-esque player behind McDavid.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Well, I'm pretty sure Draisailt has been on McDavid's wing most of the season. He played with McDavid over 80% of the time (even strength) and I doubt he played centre in any of those instances.

He also played with RNH 6.4% of the time and RNH ain't playing wing either.

http://dobberhockey.com/players/Leon-Draisaitl
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2017, 01:20 PM   #62
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ullr View Post
I'm pretty certain that Draisatl is the #2 center for the Oilers and has been that way for the majority of the season. He basically has been a Malkin-esque player behind McDavid.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Draisaitl plays the majority of his time with Maroon and McDavid. You are wrong if you think he put up those points as the second line C

Oilers second line is the 666 trio of Lucic-Nuge-Eberle
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 01:25 PM   #63
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Well, I'm pretty sure Draisailt has been on McDavid's wing most of the season. He played with McDavid over 80% of the time (even strength) and I doubt he played centre in any of those instances.

He also played with RNH 6.4% of the time and RNH ain't playing wing either.

http://dobberhockey.com/players/Leon-Draisaitl
What is actually funny is Draisaitl does line-up for faceoffs more often than McDavid does (McDavid only has taken 57 draws in the playoffs and is clicking at a horrific 33.3%). McDavid is most definitely the centre on that line during play, but it's neat to see just how much they're sheltering him in the faceoff circle.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 01:27 PM   #64
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
What is actually funny is Draisaitl does line-up for faceoffs more often than McDavid does (McDavid only has taken 57 draws in the playoffs and is clicking at a horrific 33.3%). McDavid is most definitely the centre on that line during play, but it's neat to see just how much they're sheltering him in the faceoff circle.
That's funny. Although I think McDavid took the majority of draws in the regular season.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 01:30 PM   #65
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
That's funny. Although I think McDavid took the majority of draws in the regular season.
Draisaitl took more faceoffs in the regular season as well (972 to McDavid's 806). Draisaitl had a 49% success rate while McDavid again was bad at 43.2%.

Worth noting in Bennett's case as well is that he played a minuscule 99:59 on the PP this year.

Last edited by ComixZone; 05-03-2017 at 01:33 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2017, 01:57 PM   #66
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
he also showed improvement all season long while being buried with our worst player.
Bennett had 7 points in his last 30 games. That's fewer than Brouwer, Chiasson, or Engelland.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:12 PM   #67
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

2.5x2
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:39 PM   #68
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
All I have to say is why couldn't the Flames can't tank properly get Draisaitl instead.
Draisaitl isn't better than Bennett
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:40 PM   #69
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Stolen from HfBoards:

Sam Bennett, away from Troy Brouwer (588.38 TOI): 51.48 CF%, 51.22 xGF%, 94.8 PDO
Leon Draisaitl, away from Connor McDavid (500:42 TOI): 47.86 CF%, 44.78 xGF%, 99.9 PDO

Drai is a good player in his own right, but he isn't leagues ahead of Bennett. He's put in the most opportune situations to produce, while Bennett receives the opposite. Continue playing Bennett as a checker and then wonder why he isn't producing.

Last edited by Love; 05-03-2017 at 04:44 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2017, 04:41 PM   #70
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
On what planet are you living. I despise the Oilers but you'll have a really, really hard time explaining this one to me
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:41 PM   #71
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There is blind homerism and then there is stupidity
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:43 PM   #72
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
On what planet are you living. I despise the Oilers but you'll have a really, really hard time explaining this one to me
Check above friend.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:46 PM   #73
IrishSpring2013
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Bennett had 7 points in his last 30 games. That's fewer than Brouwer, Chiasson, or Engelland.
three points in the final 5 games
2 goals in four playoffs game and was one of the best cgy forwwards outside Mony in all areas of the ice.
IrishSpring2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IrishSpring2013 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2017, 04:55 PM   #74
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd prefer to spend a little more in terms of AAV if we can get a 3rd year on the deal just to help space contracts a bit better. Make things flow smoother so we don't get hit with a big cap crunch in a couple seasons.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:13 PM   #75
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Stolen from HfBoards:

Sam Bennett, away from Troy Brouwer (588.38 TOI): 51.48 CF%, 51.22 xGF%, 94.8 PDO
Leon Draisaitl, away from Connor McDavid (500:42 TOI): 47.86 CF%, 44.78 xGF%, 99.9 PDO

Drai is a good player in his own right, but he isn't leagues ahead of Bennett. He's put in the most opportune situations to produce, while Bennett receives the opposite. Continue playing Bennett as a checker and then wonder why he isn't producing.
So you take way the best player Draisaitl plays with and the worst one Bennett plays with then we compare? Then we ignore counting stats? That's not very good analysis
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2017, 05:19 PM   #76
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So you take way the best player Draisaitl plays with and the worst one Bennett plays with then we compare? Then we ignore counting stats? That's not very good analysis
Yeah, that was absolutely awful.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:23 PM   #77
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
It shows how they played when they weren't affected by playing with boosts or anchors. Drai couldn't even maintain even levels of possession without McDavid. Now again that's not to say that he isn't a great player, but if Edmonton drafted Bennett and we drafted Drai, and Bennett started his career on Hall's wing and then on McDavid's wing, whlie Drai started it consistently on the third line with Chiasson's and Brouwer's, we'd be complaining how we wish we got Bennett instead.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2017, 05:44 PM   #78
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

I'm willing to have patience with Bennett. Al Arbour always said you can teach a scorer to check. This was how St. Louis became a complete player. I'll be disappointed if he's dealt before a coaching move, whenever that happens.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:53 PM   #79
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draisaitl has impressed me in international competition, he shows skill in ways that Bennett just hasn't so far.

However, the situations they find themselves in when playing in the NHL couldn't be more disparate. Draisaitl is attached at the hip to the 3rd or 4th best player in the world and Bennett is forced to carry several players that barely belong in the top 500.

Draisaitl's lack of success away from McDavid isn't anything to be terribly worried about, but when you get ready to pay a guy 7 million dollars it would be nice to know that he can succeed on his own, and judging by the numbers, he doesn't exactly do that.

Bennett, on the other hand, is not being put in a position to succeed. Thanks to the composition of the Flames' forwards, the right position for Bennett's development is not the right position to put him for the Flames to win games. This needs to be fixed. He is the best prospect this team has drafted during the rebuild and they're using him as a checking 3rd liner. It's unforgivable and I hope that his long term development isn't already ruined because of it.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:02 PM   #80
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
NOTE: When I started writing this, I planned to look across all situations. Turns out the data behind the Corsica WOWY tool is broken outside of 5v5 (Milan Lucic has a -450% CF away from Draisaitl, for example).

I'll dive a little deeper into this one since I'm the one who originally posted the stats quoted above on HFBoards. There are two reasons for Draisaitl's impressive numbers: McDavid, and an astronomically high on-ice shooting percentage.

So, let's try to figure out what Draisaitl's season looks like when you control for those two factors.

Goals for/60
McDavid + Draisaitl: 3.52
McDavid w/o Draisaitl: 3.61
Draisaitl w/o McDavid: 2.43
First, notice that McDavid scores more away from Draisaitl than he does with him, to counter the "Draisaitl helps McDavid too!" argument.

Draisaitl spent 1175 minutes at 5v5 this season. With him on the ice, they scored 60 goals, Draisaitl picking up 40 points. We'll assume his .666 points / goal scored is constant. If you extrapolate, using his 2.43 goals/60 without McDavid and the same ice time, you get 47 goals instead of 60. At the same points / goals ratio, he's down to 31 points.

Of course, that's assuming his on-ice shooting percentage of 12.85% (!!!) is sustainable. That would be the 6th highest shooting percentage of all skaters (>600 minutes) in the last 5 years. Bring that down to a more reasonable 9.5% (the average of the top 10 5v5 scorers), and Draisaitl's down at 23 5v5 points. Bennett had 20 5v5 points this year despite shooting 6.5%.

And that's just the offensive side of things. Defensively, Bennett's shot suppression metrics are miles ahead of Draisaitl's without even needing to control for linemates. Bennett's line allows 2.25 xGA/60, while Draisaitl allows 2.76. Away from Brouwer, Bennett's down at 2.02 xGA/60 while Draisaitl's at 2.96 away from McDavid.

Draisaitl has a massive, massive lead in PP production that likely can't be explained away, but 5v5 the gap is massively overstated.

Last edited by Kovaz; 05-03-2017 at 06:49 PM.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kovaz For This Useful Post: