Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 01:20 PM   #1881
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Is Poirier the only example of a player with one good AHL season which didn't translate into a successful NHL career? That is just an example EE gave in a very balanced post. Do you disagree with his premise?
Are you aware of his drinking that he went to rehab for?
Old 07-11-2017, 01:21 PM   #1882
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Well its an automatically flawed example given the well documented substance abuse issues Poirier ran into.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:33 PM   #1883
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Are you aware of his drinking that he went to rehab for?
Yes I am. What does have to do this suggesting Jankowski may need more time? As I stated, Poirier not a good example, but that is not my point.

Here are the 3 forwards from the 2015/16 AHL all rookie team.

Austin Czarnik
Mikko Rantanen
Frank Vatrano

Only Rantanen played a full year in the NHL

Here are the 2014 all rookie forwards.

Viktor Arvidsson
Connor Brown
Charles Hudon

Arvidsson and Brown had good NHL seasons in 2016/17. Hudon has done nothing at NHL level.

Jankowski may still need more time or may not even make it. The good news is that is there is a track record of the majority of guys who make the all rookie team making the NHL.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2017, 01:46 PM   #1884
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes I am. What does have to do this suggesting Jankowski may need more time? As I stated, Poirier not a good example, but that is not my point.

Here are the 3 forwards from the 2015/16 AHL all rookie team.

Austin Czarnik
Mikko Rantanen
Frank Vatrano

Only Rantanen played a full year in the NHL

Here are the 2014 all rookie forwards.

Viktor Arvidsson
Connor Brown
Charles Hudon

Arvidsson and Brown had good NHL seasons in 2016/17. Hudon has done nothing at NHL level.

Jankowski may still need more time or may not even make it. The good news is that is there is a track record of the majority of guys who make the all rookie team making the NHL.
Czarnik played 49 games after his rookie AHL season, which is pretty good. And he's a 5'9" 160 pounder so he had that against him as well. Vatrano played 39 games (and 44 the next year), and is also short (though he squeezes over 200 pounds into 5'9" . Arguably they were going after the same job, too.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:50 PM   #1885
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Is Poirier the only example of a player with one good AHL season which didn't translate into a successful NHL career? That is just an example EE gave in a very balanced post. Do you disagree with his premise?

I expect to see Jankowski play games in both Calgary and Stockton this year, but to use Poirier as an analogue for comparison is ridiculous.

I don't know off hand, but am curious to see how other AHL rookies with similar success to Jankowski managed in their second season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2017, 01:56 PM   #1886
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cool, I found the Jankowski thread!

My take on him is that he won't start the season on the main roster, but he will finish the regular season on it and will be contributing most nights as one of the 12 forwards dressed. I'll be following his progress with great interest like everyone else.
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2017, 02:32 PM   #1887
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Apparently the assumption/understanding that LTIR cannot be used during the off season has been proven wrong according to James Mirtle of the Athletic.

https://theathletic.com/74826/2017/0...lary-cap-hell/

The Leafs no longer need to dump salary to sign Connor Brown. In fact assuming Mirtle is correct in his reporting, any team can use LTIR during the off season.

Capfriendly has broken down the Leafs situation:
https://www.capfriendly.com/articles...he-maple-leafs
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2017, 05:08 PM   #1888
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

How about we wait for camp before arguing if Jankowski should or should not make the team.

As for Jagr, a decent case can be made to see how RW sorts itself out in the early season. But having someone like Jagr at a low cost would give the coaches a lot more options at a position we are very shallow at.

Summer optimism is making us look stronger in the position then we actually are. Frolik is great and Versteeg is decent when healthy, but that is a terrible start to a depth chart. And it falls off dramatically from there.

Given our problems with slow starts, I would be more comfortable with another solid option. If the right option is there at the right price.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:13 PM   #1889
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Off topic but I would immediately subscribe to an Athletic Calgary if it was available.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2017, 05:21 PM   #1890
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehatch View Post
How about we wait for camp before arguing if Jankowski should or should not make the team.

As for Jagr, a decent case can be made to see how RW sorts itself out in the early season. But having someone like Jagr at a low cost would give the coaches a lot more options at a position we are very shallow at.

Summer optimism is making us look stronger in the position then we actually are. Frolik is great and Versteeg is decent when healthy, but that is a terrible start to a depth chart. And it falls off dramatically from there.

Given our problems with slow starts, I would be more comfortable with another solid option. If the right option is there at the right price.
The lack of depth at RW is compensated for by excellent depth down the middle, and solid depth on LW. Virtually all but a very small handful of NHL teams have some holes that need to be filled in a capped league. This doesn't really concern me much.

Quote:
Old 07-11-2017, 05:26 PM   #1891
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I'd rather the team sort out Bennett and Ferland's contracts before trying to sign anymore free agents.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Zulu29 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2017, 05:27 PM   #1892
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
The lack of depth at RW is compensated for by excellent depth down the middle, and solid depth on LW. Virtually all but a very small handful of NHL teams have some holes that need to be filled in a capped league. This doesn't really concern me much.
Even if this is true, that doesn't mean the GM should ignore the problem. But I don't think its necessarily true. We saw Bennett struggle last season because the Flames don't have a winger to play with him. We saw Gaudreau and Monahan have a tough start, in part due to what we had to put on their RW.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:31 PM   #1893
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Off topic but I would immediately subscribe to an Athletic Calgary if it was available.
Well, there's certainly enough sportswriters looking for work.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:29 PM   #1894
Cgycowboy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Highly unreliable considering this site also posted the Ovechkin rumor. Seems like it is slow for rumors so these sites are picking up Eklund trash now for hits
Sportsnet just suggested the absolutly great fit that jagr would be on Calgarys top line. I see him as a Hudler equivalent except he is Jagr

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cgycowboy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2017, 06:58 AM   #1895
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
I think I'd rather the team sort out Bennett and Ferland's contracts before trying to sign anymore free agents.
This is probably why there has been little action from the Flames. They really need to nail down those costs before they start spending money they may not have.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:11 AM   #1896
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Gee, I wonder why that is. I guess we should simply expect the same result with Jankowski since there is no good explanation for why Poirier struggled the past two years... or is there?
I know you are a mod now but you are getting annoying at times with your contrary posting to anything that doesn't put the Flames in a surefire upwards trajectory. You do not know exactly when he started drinking and you know that he's not the only player in AHL history that didn't translate to the NHL. Its seems nothing less than saying Jankowski is a slam dunk to be a quality NHL player will suffice in your eyes.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2017, 07:22 AM   #1897
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I know you are a mod now but you are getting annoying at times with your contrary posting to anything that doesn't put the Flames in a surefire upwards trajectory. You do not know exactly when he started drinking and you know that he's not the only player in AHL history that didn't translate to the NHL. Its seems nothing less than saying Jankowski is a slam dunk to be a quality NHL player will suffice in your eyes.
I think we can assume it was sometime after he turned legal drinking age... which hasn't been long.

The annoying part is comparing a player to another player who's development was stunted due to a known problem. It doesn't make any sense.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:31 AM   #1898
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamesVan View Post
I think we can assume it was sometime after he turned legal drinking age... which hasn't been long.

The annoying part is comparing a player to another player who's development was stunted due to a known problem. It doesn't make any sense.
Not sure why you would assume that.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2017, 08:57 AM   #1899
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
...Its seems nothing less than saying Jankowski is a slam dunk to be a quality NHL player will suffice in your eyes.
This was not the source of my objection, and you know it:
Quote:
I expect to see Jankowski play games in both Calgary and Stockton this year, but to use Poirier as an analogue for comparison is ridiculous...

Quote:
Old 07-12-2017, 09:12 AM   #1900
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Bolded part is most certainly true. TC sees the world in Flames colored glasses, and there have been some eye opening examples but you have to admit it doesn't seem to affect how he moderates posters and threads. I disagree with him here and there but he doesn't take disagreement personally. He is basically the anti moon. I guess being a mod is not so much about having a balanced take but more about being even tempered which I respect.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread