Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Buy And Sell > The CP Power Ring
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2015, 09:55 AM   #1
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default LF: Divorce Attorney

Looking for a divorce attorney is Calgary or Lethbridge. Don't care where, just need to get this done.
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:00 AM   #2
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

As recommended by another CP member, I went with this firm:

http://www.calgaryfamilylawyers.com/
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:17 AM   #3
Bmuzyka
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Jolene Lalonde at Courtney Aarbo is excellent. It is who I use.
Bmuzyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:35 AM   #4
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

The most important thing is to look for a collaborative family lawyer, imo. Especially if kids are involved. They'll save you money in the long run and salvage some semblance of a workable relationship between you and your ex by not pitting you against each other.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:59 AM   #5
Bmuzyka
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

That may work for some people. I know, personally, in my situation, I am a huge pushover, and in mediation, I caved on a few issues I should have stood my ground on. I really rely on my lawyer to protect my rights as a father, but also look out for my best interests. My ex wife has made some very unreasonable demands, and my lawyer has been awesome shooting them down. My ex wife has now on her third lawyer for a number of reasons.
Bmuzyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:27 AM   #6
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Barbara Widdowson is the one you want.

http://www.wkfamilylawyers.com/our-l...widdowson.html
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:47 AM   #7
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't CP's own Troutman (Peter Robinson) do family law?
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:47 AM   #8
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmuzyka View Post
That may work for some people. I know, personally, in my situation, I am a huge pushover, and in mediation, I caved on a few issues I should have stood my ground on. I really rely on my lawyer to protect my rights as a father, but also look out for my best interests. My ex wife has made some very unreasonable demands, and my lawyer has been awesome shooting them down. My ex wife has now on her third lawyer for a number of reasons.
Is this in response to my post about finding a collaborative lawyer and not a combative one? I think there's a middle ground between being a pushover vs. having a lawyer that fights the other lawyer on every little thing, sends a million l(expensive) letters and ultimately pushes you to the courts to settle your divorce. Lots of them (lawyers) capitalize on angry people wanting to take out their anger on their ex. I actually used Barb Widdowson myself and she was very expensive but really good. I was really really REALLY mad and sad at the outset of my divorce and she talked me down from some issues that I could have wasted a lot of money, time and energy on battling my ex unfairly about if I had a less collaborative lawyer.

Anyways. TL;DR. You can always bring your lawyer with you to mediation, too. But a jointly-retained mediator is responsible to ensure the rights of both parties are being fairly represented in the mediation.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:11 AM   #9
millhouse11
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I used Diana Richmond. I had spoken to 6 different lawyers recommended by friends/colleagues and she was the only one that was willing to do what I asked. She was a little more money up front, but in the end I think saved me thousands. Every other lawyer wanted to go through my ex wifes finances and fight everything. I didn't care about that. I just wanted it done as painless as possible. My brother went the other route, fought for everything and spent more than 3 times what I did. Having said that, you have to do what's right for you. I didn't want my ex's money or assets. I could care less. My brother cared, and in the end he paid less to his ex, but more to his lawyer.
millhouse11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:13 AM   #10
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by millhouse11 View Post
I used Diana Richmond. I had spoken to 6 different lawyers recommended by friends/colleagues and she was the only one that was willing to do what I asked. She was a little more money up front, but in the end I think saved me thousands. Every other lawyer wanted to go through my ex wifes finances and fight everything. I didn't care about that. I just wanted it done as painless as possible. My brother went the other route, fought for everything and spent more than 3 times what I did. Having said that, you have to do what's right for you. I didn't want my ex's money or assets. I could care less. My brother cared, and in the end he paid less to his ex, but more to his lawyer.
I find this funny respective of your username.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:19 AM   #11
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Didn't CP's own Troutman (Peter Robinson) do family law?
He does real estate last I heard. When I contacted him about my own divorce ( a long time ago now) there was another lawyer in his office that did a good job taking care of me.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobblehead For This Useful Post: