Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-26-2010, 07:25 AM   #41
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner View Post
I don't know why people have such a hard time communicating these days. I would bet that 90% of neighbourhood issues could be resolved amicably or avoided altogether if people would just talk to each other.
I would love it if I could talk to my neighbours and sort this out. However, during the fence conversation he said "I don't want to talk to you. I know what you people are like. You're an a-hole" and he said the same thing to me when I told him that he doesn't have the right to tell the tow truck to come onto my driveway to put something onto his driveway.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:29 AM   #42
Hevishot
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Maybe because you have decided not to pony up for the fence he is trying to get under your skin so you will move away. That kinda neighbor vs neighbor arguing and telling eachother to fata off will only last so long until one of you finally cracks.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:29 AM   #43
algernon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'll bet the guy is originally from the Interior of BC. My loser neighbour is originally from there, and is a bigger trash-collector than your guy from the sounds of it. Before some Interior-resident tells me not to paint with broad strokes... I know not all of them are backwards ass hillbillies, but I have spoke with others that have had lowlife neighbours, and it seems to be a common theme. I notice that some people out there basically live like refugees.

Document the Deeb's infractions, as he will continue being a POS, and likely threaten you at some point, IMO. The bylaws are there so the city doesn't end up looking like a shanty town.

P.S. Screw you big Jim if you are reading this.
algernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:30 AM   #44
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking from the legal perspective, your only realistic means of escaping these issues is moving to a neighbourhood where white trash can't afford to live.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:38 AM   #45
algernon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Speaking from the legal perspective, your only realistic means of escaping these issues is moving to a neighbourhood where white trash can't afford to live.
I know that's most practical, but neighbourhoods can and DO change. When my folks split up, my Mom moved to South Calgary (now Marda Loop). There were bikers, cars on some lawns and the usual lowlifeism. Now, the place is over-run with infills and yuppies. I say people should put their foot down, and not allow ignorant people to get away with this crap. Move to Sparwood, if you don't like upity city living. There's lots of parts in Sparwood, you know. Plus they will be with in walking distance if your wreck is broke down!
algernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:28 AM   #46
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner View Post
I don't know why people have such a hard time communicating these days. I would bet that 90% of neighbourhood issues could be resolved amicably or avoided altogether if people would just talk to each other.
I see this kind of comment on CP all the time, and I think it’s hilarious because CP is hardly the paragon of amicable communication. You yourself said in the post I’m quoting above “wow, I’m glad I’m not your neighbor”; if you talk to people like that in real life, how well is it gonna go?
Old 04-26-2010, 08:49 AM   #47
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
There was no fence to being with. It was a new fence. The only reason I mentioned the fence business is because he might be using this to just do as he pleases. This has nothing to do with a fence really. The issue is the parking lot and all the broken down cars.
I think it has everything to do with the fence. He handled it poorly but for gawd's sake man, you have a new fence. For you to not contribute anything is unforgivable imo. He doesn't sound like a guy I'd want as a neighbor but you sound very inflexible to me which can also make for a very bad neighbor.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2010, 10:09 AM   #48
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Could it be that this guy just wants to park his broken down car in his drive way and that he is not doing it to spite you?
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Vail For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2010, 10:27 AM   #49
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

This thread is full of awesome.

Mostly because the neighbour isn't doing anything wrong (parking dead car on driveway and ugly working car on street, put up fence) and yet the poster is outraged.

If I were your neighbour I'd start doing things to purposefully piss you off just for the reaction.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:36 AM   #50
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
This thread is full of awesome.

Mostly because the neighbour isn't doing anything wrong (parking dead car on driveway and ugly working car on street, put up fence) and yet the poster is outraged.

If I were your neighbour I'd start doing things to purposefully piss you off just for the reaction.
My only reaction has been to call the bylaw officer and file a complaint. There are reasons that bylaws were created and put in place. Like one poster said I'm sure the city doesn't want houses and communities to look like shanty towns, especially the newer communities.

Last edited by Meelapo; 04-26-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:01 AM   #51
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
My only reaction has been to call the bylaw officer and file a complaint. There are reasons that bylaws were created and put in place. Like one poster said I'm sure the city doesn't want houses and communities to look like shanty towns, especially the newer communities.
Quote:

I called the bylaw unit and made a complaint (April 4th) but nothing has really happened. The bylaw officer, who didn't seem happy when I talked to him, said he gave them notice and they will move their truck. This has yet to happen and it doesn't look like the home owners aren't making an effort to even fix the truck or move it.
You're right, the bylaws are in place for a reason. However, it sounds like you might be a little off. Bylaw officer wasn't happy? Nothing happened? Sounds like you might not be in the right, bylaw wise.
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:26 AM   #52
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knalus View Post
You're right, the bylaws are in place for a reason. However, it sounds like you might be a little off. Bylaw officer wasn't happy? Nothing happened? Sounds like you might not be in the right, bylaw wise.
The bylaw officer wasn't happy as in he sounded grumpy. Maybe he didn't get enough sleep. I'm not sure. He said that this takes time and that he was going to visit the property on the 23rd. As far as I know the bylaw that I found does apply to this situation. I found it difficult to get information out of him because of all the privacy policies they must follow.

When I talked to him after I got back from my vacation he did state they were told to remove the garbage (they had ruined couches and wood along the side of their property) and that they had14 days to either repair or remove the vehicle. As far as I can tell they seem to be siding with my interpretation. The reason I posted this on the forum was to ask if they do aggressively enforce these bylaws or if it's something that takes months and months.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:29 AM   #53
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I think it has everything to do with the fence. He handled it poorly but for gawd's sake man, you have a new fence. For you to not contribute anything is unforgivable imo. He doesn't sound like a guy I'd want as a neighbor but you sound very inflexible to me which can also make for a very bad neighbor.
Fully agree. And for you to come over while he is building the thing and say "Hey, did you make sure that is on your property?" Would piss me off.

He should have talked to you first but I think some of your actions are making this a lot worse than it really has to be.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:37 AM   #54
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
Fully agree. And for you to come over while he is building the thing and say "Hey, did you make sure that is on your property?" Would piss me off.

He should have talked to you first but I think some of your actions are making this a lot worse than it really has to be.
As soon as I saw the fence was being constructed and I wasn't asked I assumed that he took it upon himself to fund the project. I just asked if he measured the property lines correctly because when an adjacent neighbour didn't do it they had to tear down the fence and rebuild it which, I'm sure, cost them additional money. I just wanted to prevent the same mistake from happening.

And to reiterate, had he done this like a normal person would rather than work out all the details of the fence himself and then demand money I would have gladly paid. However, because he didn't consult me, because he didn't ask me I refuse to pay. I'm sure most people here would refuse to pay for something that was forced on them. When I talked to him he did say "You know you can pay if you want, it doesn't matter to me." So I said I won't pay. He gave me an option.

Last edited by Meelapo; 04-26-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:49 AM   #55
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As soon as I saw the fence was being constructed and I wasn't asked I assumed that he took it upon himself to fund the project. I just asked if he measured the property lines correctly because when an adjacent neighbour didn't do it they had to tear down the fence and rebuild it which, I'm sure, cost them additional money. I just wanted to prevent the same mistake from happening.
Which is a totally valid point. But he was probably expecting you to come over and ask him about the project, what you could do to help, offer to chip in, etc... Which is unreasonable given that he didn't speak to you first, but you should have still at least had a discussion with him about it. Like another poster said, offer to pay for a portion of it or just negotiate with him.

From his perspective, coming over to ensure that the fence was not affecting your property in any adverse way would make you look like an a-hole. Combine that with the fact that you didn't chip in a single cent for a shared fence, then yeah, I can see why he would go out of his way to mess with you.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:53 AM   #56
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
I'm sure most people here would refuse to pay for something that was forced on them. When I talked to him he did say "You know you can pay if you want, it doesn't matter to me." So I said I won't pay. He gave me an option.
I don't mean to beat a dead horse here dude but...wow.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:56 AM   #57
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
Which is a totally valid point. But he was probably expecting you to come over and ask him about the project, what you could do to help, offer to chip in, etc... Which is unreasonable given that he didn't speak to you first, but you should have still at least had a discussion with him about it. Like another poster said, offer to pay for a portion of it or just negotiate with him.

From his perspective, coming over to ensure that the fence was not affecting your property in any adverse way would make you look like an a-hole. Combine that with the fact that you didn't chip in a single cent for a shared fence, then yeah, I can see why he would go out of his way to mess with you.
Understandable. When we were talking and I said no I'm not going to pay he started with the name calling. Once that happened I just left. Had he not done that I would have had the opportunity to explain to him why I didn't want to pay (which I did get to after the tow truck incident).

I tried to have a discussion with him on two occasions but how can you discuss something with someone when all they do is start name calling? It's hard to develop dialogue or anything for that matter. I called 311 and bylaw after all of this so, from my point of view at least, I tried my best to open dialogue with him. He refused so I went with the other options I have. Never once did I raise my voice or get angry.

I suppose he would be upset about the property line question but I didn't mean for it to come out in a negative or a-hole way. It was just a simple question and I assumed, like I said before, that he was okay with building and paying for it himself since he already started construction of it without asking me. I was under the impression that if a neighbour wants to add/construct something that they share with you they talk to you first. My other neighbour came and talked to me about a fence and grass before they did anything.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:00 PM   #58
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I don't mean to beat a dead horse here dude but...wow.
Not sure what you mean. Sounds like you would pay for a fence regardless of what it costs and input you gave and good for you. Unfortunately, we are all individuals and my principles are slightly different than yours. Sure I got a fence but if I'm paying for some of it I should get some input on it.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:00 PM   #59
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the fence issue, would it not have been handled better if you had just talked to the guy, find out how much the fence was, and then decide what to pay him? I hear the "what if it cost $5,000" argument. Well, you could have told him "sorry, because I wasn't consulted about the fence, it is way beyond my budget for a fence. I was only budgeting $1,000, so here's my half of the $500". I would think that'd be a better option than to just refuse to pay.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:07 PM   #60
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

The fence thing is a sticky situation. There is no legal obligation to pay for it if you don't do the work. I can totally see the "it's a dick move" argument, but communication in a fence build is sooooo bloody important. The way I look at it you are 5 levels of crazy if you even consider the idea of a fence without having a sit-down with the neighbors.

You also can't offer up the option to not pay and then get pissy when nobody pays. I realize the kind thing to do would be to pay, but you can't give your neighbor an option like that and then hold a grudge when they don't make the decision you want.

My brother-in-law has a tinge of racism in him. Not a big fan of people that aren't white. When he built his fence, he went to his white neighbor to hammer out a deal, but not his East Indian neighbor. As a result when it came to collect the bill his Indian neighbor just told him "I'm not in a financial position to give you $1500 and I didn't want a fence in the first place." He looked into it and his hands are totally tied. Doesn't really add to the thread, but I tell that story any chance I get to hammer home the importance of talking to neighbors about fence building.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post: