Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #41
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The same logic applies to the idea that you can just always recoup a second rounder if you trade your own.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #42
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
Not often you see agents going for less money unless its a hometown discount or a ridiculously long contract term though.

No one is obligated to follow any precedent set in other player negotiations. But they do.
Backlund signed for less than his QO no?

O'Reilly easily could have extended his deal longer term based on the cap hit, not on what the QO would have had to be.
Flames Draft Watcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #43
Iggy Snipe
Powerplay Quarterback

Location: Pengrowth Saddledome, Section 222, Row 23, Seat 14/15
Exp:

This guy has some points, but overall I think its a crap article.

Camy is a good pick up, and still having Iginla is for the best right now. Calgary is not as for out of the playoff picture as people think.
Iggy Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #44
Ro
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think of Cox as a more successful Eric Francis.

Hyperbole, opinion, and sensationalism masquerading as journalism.
Ro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ro For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #45
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanisleflamesfan View Post
Ha ha ha... well if there are so many 5M veterans that the Flames can "drop" easily, perhaps you would like to throw out several names... and methods of "dropping" them.
Cammy for one obviously they planned on it with the cap coming down...easily trade him for a pick. They feel he is a young #1 center. Trade Jaybo he has tons of value right now, Kipper ect.

Had they aquired him somebody would be moving...people are so worried about something that didn't happen they didn't realize the Flames tried to add a young player which would have made them have to get rid of one of the "core" guys

Last edited by dino7c; 03-02-2013 at 04:10 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:50 PM   #46
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
That is my complaint as well - not just Cox but many shabby journalists who make aggressive assertions just to make a name. Then there is absolutely no accountability if they turn out to be wrong.

I don't mind journalists being bold and making unpopular opinions. But I would like to see more accountability.
People need to understand the difference between a reporter and a columnist. The job of a columnist is to attract eyes to the page by expressing strong, often inflammatory or polarizing opinions. An editor doesn't care what opinions a columnist expresses, so long as they get people riled up.

If that approach irritates you, stick to news stories. They'll be the articles that don't have a name or mug shot featured prominently.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:37 PM   #47
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
People need to understand the difference between a reporter and a columnist. The job of a columnist is to attract eyes to the page by expressing strong, often inflammatory or polarizing opinions. An editor doesn't care what opinions a columnist expresses, so long as they get people riled up.

If that approach irritates you, stick to news stories. They'll be the articles that don't have a name or mug shot featured prominently.
I fully understand what their roles are.

As I said, I have no problem with extreme, or headline-grabbing articles.

But they would garner a whole lot more respect from me if they (the columnists and their emplyer) followed up and admitted when they erred, etc.

You can rile people up and still be accountable.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:41 PM   #48
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I fully understand what their roles are.

As I said, I have no problem with extreme, or headline-grabbing articles.

But they would garner a whole lot more respect from me if they (the columnists and their emplyer) followed up and admitted when they erred, etc.

You can rile people up and still be accountable.
He's not looking for your respect. He's hoping like a big auto accident that people take a look as they drive by. The fact you/we are talking about is already his win. Wether you agree or like his opinion it matters not and he doesn't care in the least. If nobody talked about him or read his stuff he would be out of work hence the eye raising, sensationalistic nature of his articles.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #49
sven
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Damien is a no talented troll that makes his living by stirring up his readers.
I for one stopped reading his articles a while back.

He should really stick with reporting on his beloved Leafs.

If he has changed his act, my apologies but I wouldn't know because I boycott his articles.
sven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #50
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
He's not looking for your respect. He's hoping like a big auto accident that people take a look as they drive by. The fact you/we are talking about is already his win. Wether you agree or like his opinion it matters not and he doesn't care in the least. If nobody talked about him or read his stuff he would be out of work hence the eye raising, sensationalistic nature of his articles.
Again, I know that. Thanks
Old 03-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #51
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Again, I know that. Thanks
Then hoping for them to take the high ground to gain your respect is futile isn't it?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #52
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Then hoping for them to take the high ground to gain your respect is futile isn't it?
hoping?
Old 03-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #53
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy Snipe View Post
Calgary is not as for out of the playoff picture as people think.
  • We have very consistently won about 1 game in 3 since the start of the season.
  • We are 27th at 5 on 5 hockey, dead last in number of hits, 21st in blocked shots, 29th in FO% and 24th in shots for.
  • We are 8th in total shots against but none of our goalies are above .900 in SV%.
  • We have played more at home than at road so far, and we have played more games against the 6 other teams below the playoff line than the 8 teams above it. Yet even with 5 three point games we're still below .500.
  • We have 4 points out of 16 against the teams above the playoff line.
  • We are second to last in the conference.
  • We have lost both times to the team directly above us, and our GM just made that team better (for this season at least).
  • We have the third worst +/- in the league, which is a relatively reliable stat for predicting how a team will do in the long run.
  • We are also terrible shootout team and the only team yet to win a game when trailing after first.
  • We have already played about 40% of the regular season.

In light of all this, I feel it's more accurate to say that we are further from the playoff picture than people think.

We're 8th in powerplay (although 21st in PP opportunities) and 8th in takeaways. That's the good, along with the SA.

I would also mention that our SF/SA has been getting notably worse. In the first 10 games we got outshot only once, in the last 9 games we've been outshot 7 times.

EDIT: Oh, and 25th at penalty killing, although we are 3rd in times shorthanded, which does help.

Last edited by Itse; 03-02-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Itse is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #54
$ven27
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
  • We have very consistently won about 1 game in 3 since the start of the season.
  • We are 27th at 5 on 5 hockey, dead last in number of hits, 21st in blocked shots, 29th in FO% and 24th in shots for.
  • We are 8th in total shots against but none of our goalies are above .900 in SV%.
  • We have played more at home than at road so far, and we have played more games against the 6 other teams below the playoff line than the 8 teams above it. Yet even with 5 three point games we're still below .500.
  • We have 4 points out of 16 against the teams above the playoff line.
  • We are second to last in the conference.
  • We have lost both times to the team directly above us, and our GM just made that team better (for this season at least).
  • We have the third worst +/- in the league, which is a relatively reliable stat for predicting how a team will do in the long run.
  • We are also terrible shootout team and the only team yet to win a game when trailing after first.
  • We have already played about 40% of the regular season.

In light of all this, I feel it's more accurate to say that we are further from the playoff picture than people think.

We're 8th in powerplay (although 21st in PP opportunities) and 8th in takeaways. That's the good, along with the SA.

I would also mention that our SF/SA has been getting notably worse. In the first 10 games we got outshot only once, in the last 9 games we've been outshot 7 times.

EDIT: Oh, and 25th at penalty killing, although we are 3rd in times shorthanded, which does help.
We also have a very tough March schedule coming up. Canucks, Sharks, Kings x2, Wings, Preds x2, Blues, and Blackhawks. The most winnable games would be Stars, Jackets x2, and the Avs.
$ven27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:45 PM   #55
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I fail to see what is relevant about some blowhard in toronto thinks about the Flames. The media coverage of the NHL in Canada is just way over the top. And I'm thankful that I don't have to wake up every day and try to invent a media story about the NHL like these writers and TV folks have to do.

Having watched how HNIC handled the ROR matter tonight - full marks to Ron MacLean and the hotstove crew. Class and professionalism.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:50 PM   #56
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

As someone said Cox is minor step up from Francis.
I liked cammy signing (the 2nd was in neccesary). Wideman is a great pickup. Mayyyybe $1 MM overpaid.
Feaster is smart. He is a lawyer. He knew about KHL clause. He may not be a good gm but his intellect should not be doubted. I respect his ability to hire smart people and let them do their job.
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #57
robertsfanatic
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
I fail to see what is relevant about some blowhard in toronto thinks about the Flames. The media coverage of the NHL in Canada is just way over the top. And I'm thankful that I don't have to wake up every day and try to invent a media story about the NHL like these writers and TV folks have to do.

Having watched how HNIC handled the ROR matter tonight - full marks to Ron MacLean and the hotstove crew. Class and professionalism.
i have to hear it every day living in Toronto but i agree that the hockey media in Canada in general is over the top...

i didn't see the hot stove lounge but on the reporters this morning they handled it very well too and didn't try to crucify feaster like everyone else...they actually put more blame on the avs gm.
robertsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote