Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2016, 02:59 PM   #301
blueski
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yeah hold on, going to get cold next week.
blueski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:31 AM   #302
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does CP have a resident landscaper, or does anyone have a recommendation. I actually don't need landscaping done, but would like to remove a cinder block retaining wall, some concrete and have a bit of earth removed. As cheap as possible, as always
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:52 AM   #303
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Had two tree problems last year that I don't want to have happen again.

- Dakota Pinnacle Birch Tree w/ leaf miners that turned all the leafs brown early in the season and never really recovered. Tree still grew but the miners started destroying new growth later in the season as well.

- 3 x Columnar Aspens with a major aphid problem which turned into a wasp problem later in the summer. Didn't cause any damage but so many wasps in the backyard sucks.

Anyways, when should I get an arborist out to spray/treat these 4 trees for those 2 problems? Want to be proactive so I get some solid growth this year.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:26 AM   #304
Static
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post

- 3 x Columnar Aspens with a major aphid problem which turned into a wasp problem later in the summer. Didn't cause any damage but so many wasps in the backyard sucks.

Anyways, when should I get an arborist out to spray/treat these 4 trees for those 2 problems? Want to be proactive so I get some solid growth this year.
Let us know if you find a solution for the aphid/wasp issue. I had the same issue on my two columnar aspen trees last summer as well.
Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:43 AM   #305
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
Let us know if you find a solution for the aphid/wasp issue. I had the same issue on my two columnar aspen trees last summer as well.
I think/assume you can spray for aphids. And the only reason the wasps showed up was because we had an aphid problem. Proactively I bought a fake wasp nest that I'm going to hang which might also help keeping the wasps away.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:05 PM   #306
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
I think/assume you can spray for aphids. And the only reason the wasps showed up was because we had an aphid problem. Proactively I bought a fake wasp nest that I'm going to hang which might also help keeping the wasps away.
We have found this to be the most effective solution for wasps. Also the simplest and cheapest.

Don't just get one though, get a few around your property.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2016, 12:13 PM   #307
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

So my wife and I are starting with a mud yard on a new build this year, we've got the covered deck done as part of the build but basically need everything else. We've also got a tenant door on the same side we need to use as our walk way. What are the tips for starting from scratch from CP's resident pros? Get ready to fight a lot and cry ourselves to sleep?
Old 03-21-2016, 12:26 PM   #308
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
So my wife and I are starting with a mud yard on a new build this year, we've got the covered deck done as part of the build but basically need everything else. We've also got a tenant door on the same side we need to use as our walk way. What are the tips for starting from scratch from CP's resident pros? Get ready to fight a lot and cry ourselves to sleep?
I had fun doing my backyard from scratch.

Do it in this order and you'll be laughing:

- Build a fence (price match Rona, Home Depot & Lowes and get someone to price match minus 10% to save a few bucks).
- grade the yard with top soil (get a big cube of dirt from Burnco)
- Plant some trees/shrubs around the edges (I got all my stuff from Beaver Dam Nursery just south of the City, they are cheaper than other located in the city and everything survived so far)
- Lay the sod + add a lot of water.
- Add more water.
- Wait a year then stain or paint the fence.
- Enjoy and drink beer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rohara66 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2016, 12:36 PM   #309
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just curious why you would wait a year to stain the fence, and do it after planting a bunch of stuff right next to it?
Old 03-21-2016, 01:04 PM   #310
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Just curious why you would wait a year to stain the fence, and do it after planting a bunch of stuff right next to it?
Fresh wood doesn't take stain well.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2016, 01:20 PM   #311
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

- Build a fence (price match Rona, Home Depot & Lowes and get someone to price match minus 10% to save a few bucks).
- Plant some trees/shrubs around the edges (I got all my stuff from Beaver Dam Nursery just south of the City, they are cheaper than other located in the city and everything survived so far)
-remember to rent a sod roller and use it.
- Add more water.
- Enjoy and drink beer.
Sod roller is key

Also, it sounds like a new build. Don't you get top soil from the builder? I thought this was pretty standard.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2016, 02:57 PM   #312
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Sod roller is key

Also, it sounds like a new build. Don't you get top soil from the builder? I thought this was pretty standard.
Correct, use a sod roller. You can rent one from home depot.

The builder will give you crap for top soil so you might want to add some extra, or at least I had to add some extra. Not to mention if you leave it any sort of time from when the builder throws that dirt down it will be solid earth when you go to lay sod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Fresh wood doesn't take stain well.
Especially if you use pressure treated wood. The stain will bead off it if you don't let it dry out first.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:08 PM   #313
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:

- Add more water.
- Enjoy and drink beer.
Did you do underground sprinklers in there at all or just left it all above ground?
Old 03-21-2016, 03:19 PM   #314
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone have experience with replacing their lawn with sheep fescue? My wife is big on the idea....Sounds like low maintenance low water demand, which is a plus in my books...
Old 03-21-2016, 08:38 PM   #315
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Had two tree problems last year that I don't want to have happen again.

- Dakota Pinnacle Birch Tree w/ leaf miners that turned all the leafs brown early in the season and never really recovered. Tree still grew but the miners started destroying new growth later in the season as well.

Insecticidal soap in hose sprayer should work. Just make sure to wash it off after a few hours or you will scald the tree.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:12 PM   #316
Robotic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Anyone have experience with replacing their lawn with sheep fescue? My wife is big on the idea....Sounds like low maintenance low water demand, which is a plus in my books...
I have no personal experience with sheep fescue, but I've heard its good, and others say it can be invasive. Not sure how invasive it can be. Might be something to consider.
Robotic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robotic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2016, 09:21 PM   #317
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

From what I read, it doesn't spread through roots, which has to be better than normal grass and crabgrass. But I'll look into that more.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:01 PM   #318
blueski
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Make sure the mud/clay all slopes away from the house before you bring in top soil. Pack it down with a tamper too if this hasn't already been done.
blueski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:08 PM   #319
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

About 5 minutes of reading about sheep fescue, and I am already planning on overseeding with it this year. Green and soft lawn? Minimal water? Minimal maintenance?
This is where the too good to be true part comes along, right?
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:22 PM   #320
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well that's what I was thinking, but my wife is insistent. She's done the research, so I'm at the "yes sweety" phase. I'd still like to see it growing in person though.

Tags
flowers , garden , green thumb , landscaping , veggies