Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2017, 08:33 AM   #1261
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I'm not sold on Smith, but I think he will provide solid enough goaltending for the Flames.

I would be concerned about his age and health. Because I wouldn't want Lack playing any games for me.
Don't worry, Parson will come in as the hero after a string a goalie injuries to lead the Flames to the Cup in his rookie season.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:37 AM   #1262
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lack is no Laurent Broissoit, that's for sure
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:41 AM   #1263
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Lack is no Laurent Broissoit, that's for sure
Which was suggested no where.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:01 AM   #1264
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

What sucks about that Smid trade is that we would currently have a back-up with Brossoit. Smid barely played any real hockey for the Flames.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:03 AM   #1265
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
What sucks about that Smid trade is that we would currently have a back-up with Brossoit. Smid barely played any real hockey for the Flames.
Much like Brossoit has barely played any real hockey for the Oilers. Fair deal.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2017, 09:10 AM   #1266
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think that Broissoit would still be here if we hadn't traded him. I'm still not convinced that he's going to be a NHL goalie. There's a reason why the Camster played 73 games.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:53 AM   #1267
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I guess a hundred games is barely any. If Smid hadn't been cheap shotted he'd be on the bottom pairing right now and it would be pretty solid.

Brossoit may or may not make it. He played in 8 games last year and looked fine, but look what happened with Ortio after a similar first impression.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:04 AM   #1268
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post

Brossoit may or may not make it. He played in 8 games last year and looked fine, but look what happened with Ortio after a similar first impression.
He started only four games last season, and after the ridiculous debacle in Calgary, Brossoit lost a game v. TB, and won two more in late March and early April v. Colorado and Vancouver. I am not convinced that his performance from last year was much better than AHL level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:10 AM   #1269
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am in no way sold on Brossoit but there is some potential upside there.

Lack is what he is.

Both are likely below average backups IMO.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:23 AM   #1270
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post

Lack is what he is.

You are probably right. Although if what has been reported about Lack and the coaching in Carolina is true, then there is some reason to be optimistic that his time there is not a good representation of his competence as a NHL goalie.

He was excellent in his first two seasons in the AHL, and then looked very good in Vancouver—in 2014–15 he played half of the Canucks's games and registered a 0.921 SP. I think he could rebound this year playing again for a coach who knows him well, and for whom he has had some past success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:35 AM   #1271
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Brossoit has yet to prove he's an NHL calibre goalie IMO. Don't really regret losing him one bit. Flames got the best player in that trade. I was far more concerned about losing Horak who looked promising but the Oilers didn't even use him properly. Oilers gonna Oil. They waste the best player they got in the deal and promoted Brossoit before he was ready and have likely ruined his development. Just failfish all around.

We have 3 young goalies better than Brossoit. No point crying over losing him.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:55 AM   #1272
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Lack is what he is.

Why is Lack what he is?

His career was progressing just fine until he got derailed in Carolina. He's 29 - hardly old for a goalie.

People think Raanta is a young up-and-comer at 28.

Perceptions are fun.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2017, 10:56 AM   #1273
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
You are probably right. Although if what has been reported about Lack and the coaching in Carolina is true, then there is some reason to be optimistic that his time there is not a good representation of his competence as a NHL goalie.

He was excellent in his first two seasons in the AHL, and then looked very good in Vancouver—in 2014–15 he played half of the Canucks's games and registered a 0.921 SP. I think he could rebound this year playing again for a coach who knows him well, and for whom he has had some past success.
You're right - its not impossible we see him rebound. That would be fantastic if he did, a la Dubnyk.

I'm not on the fire Sigalet train but it's not like the current Flames have any kind of track record of turning goalies around when they get here. If anything, its been the opposite.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:03 AM   #1274
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know why people are giving NYR credit for Raanta's development. He came from Chicago as an already good quality back-up.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:03 AM   #1275
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Why is Lack what he is?

His career was progressing just fine until he got derailed in Carolina. He's 29 - hardly old for a goalie.

People think Raanta is a young up-and-comer at 28.

Perceptions are fun.
So are you calling Lack an up and comer? Or just making an irrelevant comparison?

I don't buy the "derailed" rationalization for Carolina. He is accountable for his own play, is he not? He has played 4 NHL seasons now, 1 good season, 1 OK season and 2 bad seasons. The two most recent are bad.

So yeah maybe he turns it around, As could any other struggling goalie. But his record and play speak for themselves at this point.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:11 AM   #1276
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
So are you calling Lack an up and comer? Or just making an irrelevant comparison?

I don't buy the "derailed" rationalization for Carolina. He is accountable for his own play, is he not? He has played 4 NHL seasons now, 1 good season, 1 OK season and 2 bad seasons. The two most recent are bad.

So yeah maybe he turns it around, As could any other struggling goalie. But his record and play speak for themselves at this point.
Just watching Lack, I'd be shocked if he developed into anything more than what he is. He's not overly athletic and once coaches were able to pin down his weaknesses, he lost his effectiveness as a starter.

Eddie Lack is basically one of the new bread of borderline NHL goalies. He's a tall guy who's got adequate positioning. Even if he is able to shore up his weaknesses, that still makes him an average backup at best.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:11 AM   #1277
IrishSpring2013
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

lack is more..reclaimation.. then up and comer.. he is accountable, for his own play.. but that doesnt mean he's a bad person.. seems like a jovial guy.. wasnt he better down the stretch.. after a tounge lashing? id feel more comfortable with lack then croissant.. though why we're talking about lack.. then comparing him to the oilers back up... in a thread anout mike smith.. was confusing..
IrishSpring2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:24 AM   #1278
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have always really liked Brossoit as a prospect. I felt his athleticism was really, really good, and I have always preferred athletic goalies to that of a more refined butterfly-shot blocker. I think Brossoit still has solid upside.

I just stopped wishing him well since he is an Oiler now.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:33 AM   #1279
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think the Flames really like their goalie prospects right now, Lack is someone who will take the pressure off as opposed to throwing them right in as backups. If Lack fails as a backup its a low pressure move for John Gilllies to be broken in at the NHL level.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:56 AM   #1280
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Irrelevant comparison? They are one year apart in age, and both have been in the NHL for 4 years as backups.

The comparison is very relevant, but you seem to have a bias against Lack. It is pretty well documented that they changed his playing style in Carolina and it hurt his performance. Whether or not you 'buy' that doesn't really change that fact. And his performance improved substantially during the latter part of last season, as he moved away from the style.