Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2009, 11:21 AM   #41
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
Why take it to PM? WHy not discuss it in this thread so we all can learn?
Maybe as an installer he can't\should not be posting instructions? just my guess
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:22 AM   #42
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
Why take it to PM? WHy not discuss it in this thread so we all can learn?
Or do you want to learn how to break into my house program my alarm rape my dog and steal my wife? Damn Oilers Fan!!!!!

This did not need green text did it?
Old 01-27-2009, 05:46 PM   #43
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wouldn't reveal specifics in programing or control in this thread, don't worry about that. But i don't mind keeping the thread going. I'd just pm any specifics necessary.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:57 PM   #44
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
Neither looks familiar. I will check at home and let you know exactly what I have, or send a pic. Thanks a ton. I will PM. Another question, can an ebay keyfob be programmed to work? I will put that inthe pm as well thanks.
As long its the right keyfob, again it just needs programming.

Man, i hope you don't have a Simon.

Maybe you have DSC system...(a couple of examples)

I didn't bring up DSC cause they are mainly used for commercial instead of residential. I guess it depends on how long you've owned your system.

If you own the Simon, then I'd seriously call ADT and talk to a resale rep and get that thing exchanged. If you have that and live in Calgary (or surrounding area), then pm me and I'll hook you up. (they have to be the cheapest device out there and I always recommend to have them exchanged {at no cost})

Last edited by csnarpy; 01-27-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:09 PM   #45
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

So it actually looks just like the 2nd one you posted above as the quick connect. Goes to show how close I look at it. What should I be looking for on ebay in the way of key fobs?

If you could pm the instructions for nightstay that would be awesome.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:09 PM   #46
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
So it actually looks just like the 2nd one you posted above as the quick connect. Goes to show how close I look at it. What should I be looking for on ebay in the way of key fobs?

If you could pm the instructions for nightstay that would be awesome.
This is basically the keyfob http://cgi.ebay.ca/ADEMCO-VISTA-LYNX...ayphotohosting
The Following User Says Thank You to csnarpy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2013, 03:33 PM   #47
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thought I'd bump this thread.

Friend had a break in recently in NW. He had no alarm system; his wife had asked him to get one months before (uh-oh!).

Anyway, curious about current recommendations and experiences:
- company
- system
- alternatives
- etc.

We went with whatever company previous owner had (name alludes me right now, but maybe begins with a "V" ?). I think my buddy is leaning towards United (not sure why).

Thanks

Last edited by cral12; 07-29-2013 at 03:38 PM. Reason: info
cral12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:58 PM   #48
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Thought I'd bump this thread.

Friend had a break in recently in NW. He had no alarm system; his wife had asked him to get one months before (uh-oh!).

Anyway, curious about current recommendations and experiences:
- company
- system
- alternatives
- etc.

We went with whatever company previous owner had (name alludes me right now, but maybe begins with a "V" ?). I think my buddy is leaning towards United (not sure why).

Thanks
I was with ADT, but have wanted to leave them for a while. I found they are not very good service wise (no offence CSnarpy, never had a problem with the installers!)

I have now switched to CSA (Concept Security & Alarm). This is a small outfit started by a local guy who has extensive family history in the Calgary alarm world. Very good guy, and does a lot of business off referral. He is cheaper to boot.

He knows his stuff, is very personable, and if your alarm goes off for whatever reason he will call you within 2 minutes. He also will help you choose the right equipment, unlike the big guys who slap whatever cheap stuff they can find in your house.

Just PM me if you need a contact name and number.

Last edited by OldDutch; 07-29-2013 at 04:03 PM.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2013, 09:46 PM   #49
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
I was with ADT, but have wanted to leave them for a while. I found they are not very good service wise (no offence CSnarpy, never had a problem with the installers!)

I have now switched to CSA (Concept Security & Alarm). This is a small outfit started by a local guy who has extensive family history in the Calgary alarm world. Very good guy, and does a lot of business off referral. He is cheaper to boot.

He knows his stuff, is very personable, and if your alarm goes off for whatever reason he will call you within 2 minutes. He also will help you choose the right equipment, unlike the big guys who slap whatever cheap stuff they can find in your house.

Just PM me if you need a contact name and number.
none taken!

FYI, I install on the side and can hook you up with self monitoring and the ability integrate zwave devices (door locks, light switches thermostats, cameras, outlets and lots more)

This is what i have for my home system, if any event triggers my alarm, i get an email and a text immediately. Plus I can control and view my system from my phone or a web portal.

Last edited by csnarpy; 07-30-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:29 AM   #50
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any info on Vivint?

They approached us this week and said they can use our existing ADT equipment and add on some nice features - and of course costing less.

We are disappointed with ADT and them wanting to charge ridiculous amounts to come out and service our existing system, so I have no reason to stay with them.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #51
Flickered Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't know much about this company or their products and service but these guys have come door to door a few times trying to sell us on their security package.

http://www.vivint.ca/en/
Flickered Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:17 AM   #52
Robotic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My ex and her brother are currently working for Vivint. They have told me about some shady tactics like making up neighbor names and saying that "Tim and Joan, down the street have it and love it...". It is a good system, but you’re locked for like 5 years. I do know you can talk them into getting it for 3 years, but they will tell you they can’t. Push for it, and they will break just to make the sale. Try to get some extra goodies thrown in like glass breaks, extra monitors for garages, etc...

I'm not a fan of the company itself, as the employees are can be a little brainwashed. Prime example being that my ex continuing working for Vivint for another year, which I'm assuming was pressed by her team with promises that you'll make $100k next summer. Maybe that’s just me being jaded because I had no say in her breaking up our 4 year relationship.
Robotic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robotic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #53
Bean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

In my previous research it seems as though United Alarm is saying all of the right things on their website. Considering the price, it'd be hard to beat for value.

A number of companies will offer a cellular communication upgrade but none really offer it as a base option. When it comes down to it, is it really that easy to cut the cable/telephone line?
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #54
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yep, I've pretty much heard that Vivant is not the greatest, and have taken over a lot of their systems. They remind me of APX.

FYI, maybe check out Certified. They are a pretty good company and if I wasn't doing so well with ADT then I would move to them. They deal mainly with DSC systems - which are the cream of the crop.

FYI, to everyone, please stay away from all in one systems. It takes 5 seconds to disable those things.... (Lynx, Simon, GE, Vivant are some good examples)

Last edited by csnarpy; 07-30-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #55
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

With YYC home break ins seemingly on the rise (I hear more & more stories at work), thought this thread was bumpworthy.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #56
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default AE Security

I would recommend AE security as the installation company. As a Home Theatre and Automation guy, I see a lot of poorly executed security systems. They are either poorly designed, installed or supported (or all the above in some cases). I don't directly do security, but often see the aftermath of poor jobs when I doing my work. I recommend AE security to my clients as I am part of a business group with them and gotten to know them and their business practices. They have been around for 30 years, Elisha is the contact that I use with them.

http://www.aesecurity.ca/index.html
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cupofjoe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2014, 09:07 PM   #57
HammeR_
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default Home Security Cameras

BUMP

Wanted to see if the CP brain trust had any experience with the do-it-yourself home security camera packages such as this

There has been some break-ins in the neighbourhood recently and i figured this could be a good alternate to some of the pay per month services.

Any thoughts?
HammeR_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:06 PM   #58
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Home Depot sells a smart plugin that allows you to control whatever device is plugged into it via wifi and your smartphone. You can use it to turn on lights in the home if you are away using their smartphone app. It sells for around $60. Has anyone tried this?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:52 PM   #59
Laner99
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Any info on Vivint?

They approached us this week and said they can use our existing ADT equipment and add on some nice features - and of course costing less.

We are disappointed with ADT and them wanting to charge ridiculous amounts to come out and service our existing system, so I have no reason to stay with them.
We went from ADT to vivint about 8 months ago. With ADT we accidentally set our alarm off a couple of times and they never called to check in. In fact when vivint disconnected our ADT system ADT never called to tell us our system had been messed with. Not cool. Anyways Vivint has been great, a couple false alarms and they have contacted us right away. Only negative on Vivint was their selling approach. Very aggressive (although it worked....). I have no problem recommending vivint.
Laner99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:02 AM   #60
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammeR_ View Post
BUMP

Wanted to see if the CP brain trust had any experience with the do-it-yourself home security camera packages such as this

There has been some break-ins in the neighbourhood recently and i figured this could be a good alternate to some of the pay per month services.

Any thoughts?
I am in the process of installing this http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX49709 So far it is really easy and straight forward. I struggled a bit on the networking aspect but now that I understand it would be very straight forward. I haven't tried to run the cables yet which is going to be the hardest part. So far I am pretty impressed with this system. Has an Iphone/android app so I can check in anywhere.

I got it on sale for 150 but now am thinking I should have gotten the 8 camera dvr since adding cameras is addicting
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fundmark19 For This Useful Post: