Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2010, 06:24 PM   #1
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:
Default Playstation Move ... Anybody?

So what's the general consensus on the Playstation Move?

For those who aren't aware, Sony announced their answer to Wii yesterday. You can watch the entire unveiling here:
http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1UPSmT...C-Press-Event/

Or you can read about it here:
http://kotaku.com/5490632/playstatio...yline=true&s=i

If you wondering, yes, it still looks like a sextoy you'd use at a rave:

I'm split on this thing. I was so excited for the Wii to come out but like 90% of my friends with one it lost it's luster extremely quick. On one hand the Wii was so bad in my eyes that anything with motion controls gets an immediate scowl from me, while on the other Move appears to answer almost every single problem I had with the Wii.

The games look pretty, the control seems much closer to a 1:1 experience, I don't have to break the bank to give it a try and it can be added to games that also use a controller.

I'd be lying if I said the table tennis didn't impress me quite a bit. I really liked table tennis on the 360, but the control for the wii did absolutely nothing for me.

Final note ... this vs. Microsofts Natal? I'm standing by my position that a gaming system without proper buttons is balls. Balls.

Last edited by Russic; 03-11-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:43 PM   #2
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The only reason why I might get this is mostly because the graphics don't look like they're from the 90's. I've always been a fan of the 'movement-gaming' but the wii graphics just don't cut it. Going to be interesting how this plays out.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:44 PM   #3
C-ero
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'll get it. It's like the Wii but with actual next-gen graphics. That's a buy from me.

I'll be mostly playing the casual stuff like Golf, bowling, ping-pong, etc. Not the hardcore games that are supposed to be played on a controller.

With friends coming over all the time, this is a definite buy for me.
C-ero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:49 PM   #4
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Not sure how this plays out, but the first thing that came to my mind was "sexy toy" as well.

Looks better than Natal how ever, that is just completely stupid.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:00 AM   #5
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Me Too! Me Too!

This almost comes off as desperate.

Last edited by RyZ; 03-12-2010 at 12:11 AM.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:00 AM   #6
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always wonderd why they used Etch-a-Sketch hardware in the Wii. They could have at least used SNES graphics.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:18 AM   #7
User Name
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Old 03-12-2010, 10:16 AM   #8
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyZ View Post
Me Too! Me Too!

It does come off as desperate, but not doing it would be a huge mistake. The Wii is just breathing fire all over an unclaimed market right now so sony and microsoft would be batsh*t insane to not try and join the fray.

What I like about this set up is that I don't need to abandon the controller. A big thing with the Wii was that I was constantly saying "you know this game would be more fun with a proper controller". This way it would appear that many games can be used with both.

Watching the guy play SOCOM did little for me. I didn't see anything he was doing that couldn't be accomplished more accurately with a true controller.

I was happy to see the kids games. When I sold my wii I did it with a little hesitation as my little boy will be playing games with me in a few years. I imagine by the time he's old enough to play games the next round of systems will start coming out and they'll probably all have some kind of motion controller. Hopefully Sony keeps doing what they're doing and sticks with a true controller and a motion controller.

Also very cool was a comment from a sony guy yesterday who said the "subcontroller" (nunchuk) isn't necessary. He says you can just use a dualshock controller turned sideways. If you've played the bowling game on the PSN you'll know that holding the controller sideways is much more comfortable than it sounds.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:32 AM   #9
BaconGuy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hmmm, thought this was interesting

Sony has just confirmed with us that PlayStation Move cannot support 4 players in its full configuration.

http://gizmodo.com/5491464/playstati...player-support
BaconGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:19 AM   #10
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
I always wonderd why they used Etch-a-Sketch hardware in the Wii. They could have at least used SNES graphics.
Nintendo bet that a cheaper machine + the motion sensitive games would resonate better with consumers than fancy graphics alone would. And they were right.

Sony's now coming down in price and catching up with the motion sensitive controllers. It will be interesting to see what Nintendo's next gen machine is like.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:00 PM   #11
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dunno, I'm a little iffy on this. The whole Wii experience has really soured me on the whole motion sensing way to play games. Call me old fashioned, but nothing beats plopping down on the couch and playing a game with a normal controller. No waving my hand up and down to get anything to happen.

To me, motion sensing is definitely for when I want a quick 10-15 minutes of gaming, or playing at a party with a group of friends. If I want a full immersive experience, then I just say no to motion sensing.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:05 PM   #12
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyZ View Post
Me Too! Me Too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconGuy View Post
Hmmm, thought this was interesting

Sony has just confirmed with us that PlayStation Move cannot support 4 players in its full configuration.

http://gizmodo.com/5491464/playstati...player-support
On one hand that's disappointing, while on the other what the hell are the chances I was going to buy 8 of the wand things?
Old 03-12-2010, 02:12 PM   #13
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
Ha

The 360 and PS3 are basically etch-a-sketches compared to a high end PC as well.

UNLESS YOU ARE A HIGH END PC, YOU ARE CLOSER TO AN ETCH_A_SKETCH THAN A CURRENT GAMING MACHINE!!!

Better for you?
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:40 PM   #14
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

I actually quite enjoy the Wii, but I don't play it very often. Maybe that's the point.

It's also really great for kids, which is nice when you're dating mums. But it gives you something to do together without feeling like your vegging out.

I felt the Motion Plus adapter really improved the Wii. But again, I don't play it a ton, so I'm probably not used to any limitations.

I'd definitely check out this system.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:08 PM   #15
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think its a nice add-on to the system, which is better than having an entire system build around it like Wii.

The whole motion control experience doesn't mean anything until they can develop games that are engaging and interesting beyond the initial novelty of waving your arm around to pop a balloon or hit a tennis ball.

Until the games come...and I mean real games, with depth..this will always be a gimmick. And I do believe the Wii is a gimmick.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:11 PM   #16
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

^^^ Well that is true, you are limited in the types of games you can play on the Wii. At least ones that use the controllers properly. All of the ports from other platforms are worse than useless.

It may well work better as an add on.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:27 PM   #17
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post

Final note ... this vs. Microsofts Natal? I'm standing by my position that a gaming system without proper buttons is balls. Balls.
I just looked up their E3 ad. A few of the ideas involved look good, but most seem too complicated or harder than just using a controller.

Like browsing the movies? Who wants to wave their hands through the air to do that. A remote would be way easier. And it's not like even the eldery don't know how to use a remote.

Lastly, for some of the more complex things on there, there's no way it'll be ready in the near future.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:26 AM   #18
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
I just looked up their E3 ad. A few of the ideas involved look good, but most seem too complicated or harder than just using a controller.

Like browsing the movies? Who wants to wave their hands through the air to do that. A remote would be way easier. And it's not like even the eldery don't know how to use a remote.

Lastly, for some of the more complex things on there, there's no way it'll be ready in the near future.
I've always agreed with this. I have a friend who's just over the moon for the idea of controlling his movies using gestures. While it seems very cool in theory I can't help but wonder who you can accurately do all the things a controller can do. I also wonder if it will be able to distinguish generic moves from deliberate ones. If I emphatically reach for popcorn will it skip a chapter?

If it worked it would be very cool, but much like using a wiimote to "swing" Link's sword in zelda, is it really just taking something as simple as a button press and making it needlessly complicated?

Something that the makers of Red Steel on the Wii said has made a lot of sense to me. It's great that Microsoft is trying to be innovative (I adore ballsy moves like Natal), how in the sweet hell would a first person shooter work on it? You could move on rails I suppose, but beyond that I see no way to move forward without a controller peripheral.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:54 AM   #19
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

On Wii the latest Tiger Woods golf was supposed to best version; the Wii motion plus making it the version the most fun to play.

And I kind of like Madden on the Wii. A bunch of the menus suck, but the actual gameplay, I kind of like being able to flick the controller to pass (with the strength of the throw determined by how hard you motion).

I'll grant that the Wii is limited, but there are parts that work really well and other parts that don't.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:05 AM   #20
old-fart
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems to me like this is a "holy crap look at Nintendo sales, we need to bite into that" type move. While on one hand I think they are right, you'd like to think that in roughly 2 years since the Wii came out Sony would have done something different/special/cool, instead of just putting a glowing ball thing on the end of the controller that looks exceedingly similar to the Wii thing.

Microsoft on the other hand is going out on a limb with Natal. That looks cool. Don't know that it will make all games better or different, but at least it is completely different that the Wii. If it works as cool as it looks, it will certainly make some games much more fun.
old-fart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gaming , move , natal , ps3 , wii