Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2024, 06:33 PM   #2081
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
And millennials are 40 year olds now. Plenty of millennials own homes, have kids and basically everything else we heard they’d never do.
They own homes at lower rates than previous generations though the latest data form stats can appears to be 2021 which would show Covid affects still.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2024, 08:28 PM   #2082
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
And millennials are 40 year olds now. Plenty of millennials own homes, have kids and basically everything else we heard they’d never do.
Some of the millennials are 40, but plenty of us won't be 40 for um er like 2 years. The vast majority of millennials are in their 30s right now, with the current age range being 28-43 (according to Pew).
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 09:07 PM   #2083
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Some of the millennials are 40, but plenty of us won't be 40 for um er like 2 years. The vast majority of millennials are in their 30s right now, with the current age range being 28-43 (according to Pew).
Yeah of course there’s a range, and sometimes these generations and the hard boundaries are blurry.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 06:53 PM   #2084
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/inf...2024-1.7148177

Canada's inflation rate slowed to 2.8% in February, beating expectations for 2nd month in a row

Canada's annual inflation rate cooled to 2.8 per cent in February, with the cost of cellular services, groceries and internet access services contributing to slower growth, Statistics Canada said Tuesday.

Economists had largely expected the rate to rise to 3.1 per cent and undo some of the year's early progress.

For the first time in more than two years, grocery prices increased at a slower pace than the headline inflation rate, StatsCan said.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2024, 08:46 PM   #2085
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Jul/22 8.1% (peak)
Aug 7.6%
Sept 7.0%
Oct 6.9%
Nov 6.9%
Dec 6.8%
Jan/23 6.3%
Feb 5.9%
Mar 5.2%
Apr 4.3%
May 4.4%
Jun 3.4%
Jul 2.8%
Aug 3.3%
Sept 4.0%
Oct 3.8%
Nov 3.1%
Dec 3.1%
Jan/24 3.4%
Feb 2.8%

Do we see BOC rate cuts begin in April?

Last edited by The Fonz; 03-20-2024 at 08:50 PM.
The Fonz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 09:12 PM   #2086
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canada shouldn't reduce rates until the US do. The CDN dollar is terrible already, we don't need to make it any worse.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 09:16 PM   #2087
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Canada shouldn't reduce rates until the US do. The CDN dollar is terrible already, we don't need to make it any worse.
As someone that gets paid in USD, I disagree completely
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2024, 09:56 PM   #2088
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
I've been reading a lot about how the lack of economic growth is now affecting the CAD. At a certain point you have to loosen monetary policy or the currency gets too devalued from lack of economic growth.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 11:13 PM   #2089
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I've been reading a lot about how the lack of economic growth is now affecting the CAD. At a certain point you have to loosen monetary policy or the currency gets too devalued from lack of economic growth.
I think with Canada and the US having a relatively open trade market, if Canada were to move first rather than directly weaking the CAD could expect to see the trade balance between the two countries compensate (especially when our unemployment rate is higher). More exports, more manufacturing increasing GDP should be the first response of the Canadian market if the BOC moves and the Fed doesn't.

There is the big wild card of irrational trade action that could be taken in 2025 if things go the wrong way in November, and it's real enough that people need to careful about establishing those supply chains, but usually cost trumps risk,
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 09:42 AM   #2090
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
but usually cost trumps risk,
But does cost trump Trump risk?

Also, I think more manufacturing/exports probably only occur if the currency devalues - I don't think lower rates alone are enough to do it.
Old 03-21-2024, 10:16 AM   #2091
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but wouldn't it take a lower CA$ (resulting from a first-mover rate decrease) to bump manufacturing and exports, and ultimately GDP? I don't see exports taking off on their own and without that, there really wouldn't be much to support the current CA$ level if we lower first.
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2024, 11:03 AM   #2092
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's also not that simple. Interest rates are one factor when you look at exchange rates, but there are several and things are a little murkier. Remember that Canada increased rates earlier than the US did to kick off this hiking cycle and it's not like the CAD shot up at that point.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 11:12 AM   #2093
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
As someone that gets paid in USD, I disagree completely
Me too!
Old 03-21-2024, 11:48 AM   #2094
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Inflation in Alberta is still over 5% and might even grow.

When will Smith be called out and punted?
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 12:07 PM   #2095
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Inflation in Alberta is still over 5% and might even grow.

When will Smith be called out and punted?
Alberta will definitely continue to have the highest inflation across Canada this year mostly because the gasoline tax was reinstated in January which was helping to keep inflation in check last year. Housing costs are still high and increasing so that doesn't help either.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 12:24 PM   #2096
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Alberta will definitely continue to have the highest inflation across Canada this year mostly because the gasoline tax was reinstated in January which was helping to keep inflation in check last year. Housing costs are still high and increasing so that doesn't help either.
The electricity rebates last year are also a factor - we effectively had lower reported inflation because of that stuff last year, and now it's higher as we're measuring off a lower base from last year.
Old 03-21-2024, 12:32 PM   #2097
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
But does cost trump Trump risk?

Also, I think more manufacturing/exports probably only occur if the currency devalues - I don't think lower rates alone are enough to do it.
I work for a Canadian manufacturer, primarily dealing Canadian origin raw material, and I can tell you are US exports are up, and we are projecting them to go up.

I think the currency is already devalued enough to spur big increases in export. What we should see up until any major trade action is taken, is that downward pressure on the dollar from lower interest rates, money printing, domestic economic capacity... should be offset by upward pressure from exports increasing gdp.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 04:02 PM   #2098
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Can confirm, our US exports are growing fast because of the dollar.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 05:06 PM   #2099
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It looks like the US is scaling back to a single rate cut, from the expectation of two previously.

As of yesterday, BoC was still signalling three... Come on 6-handle on the loonie
Old 03-23-2024, 05:08 AM   #2100
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know there’s pretty wide thoughts from Canadian banks on this. Some are planning for three by the end of next year and some are planning for six. Not sure that’s valuable or not but it seems to be home prices will bust out again shortly as soon as rate cuts happen.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote