Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2024, 08:18 PM   #481
Bingo Jr.
Bingo's Official Offspring
Yes My Dad Knows I'm Here

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSIM420 View Post
If we pick outside the top 4, we have to pick Iginla. I watch him in Kelowna and he is exactly the type of player Calgary needs. Uncle Craig won't let him go somewhere else!
Couldn’t agree more. I’ve had the luxury of watching him play 5 or 6 times this year and he’s legit. Swiss army knife. In the games where the puck isn’t bouncing his way, his compete level allows him to contribute to the team in other ways. I I never quite viewed him as a “game-breaking” talent until his recent hat trick against Honzek and the Giants. He’s got all the tools to be a star, he outshone Cristall and Honzek heavily. Funny enough Jarome was sitting a row over from me, and he was Mr. Cool for all three of the goals, not even smiling or clapping until a fan would yell a remark at him. Thought that was interesting.
Bingo Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 08:27 PM   #482
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Please hockey gods… let us draft both Lindstrom and Iginla in this draft. Hard to imagine a better scenario than that.

Get 2 more picks in the first round by trading Lindholm, Hanifin and Tanev… draft top ten with your pick. Hopefully Lindstrom falls (unlikely) or you win the lottery (very unlikely). Then package the other two first round picks plus virtually any roster player not named Zary, Coronato or Wolf to get another pick in the top 15… and draft iginla with that pick.

So let it be written… so let it be done.

Last edited by stemit14; 01-26-2024 at 08:31 PM.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 08:29 PM   #483
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
Pleas hockey gods… let us draft both Lindstrom and Iginla in this draft. Hard to imagine a better scenario than that.
Agreed, use every pick after that for dmen and potential home run high risk guys
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 08:30 PM   #484
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Pleas hockey gods… let us draft both Lindstrom and Iginla in this draft. Hard to imagine a better scenario than that.
Celebrini and Iginla would be a slightly better scenario, but hard to disagree.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 08:35 PM   #485
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Moneypuck has the flames at 3.1% to get 1st overall now.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 12:04 AM   #486
Ziggy Lidstrom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Please hockey gods… let us draft both Lindstrom and Iginla in this draft. Hard to imagine a better scenario than that.

Get 2 more picks in the first round by trading Lindholm, Hanifin and Tanev… draft top ten with your pick. Hopefully Lindstrom falls (unlikely) or you win the lottery (very unlikely). Then package the other two first round picks plus virtually any roster player not named Zary, Coronato or Wolf to get another pick in the top 15… and draft iginla with that pick.

So let it be written… so let it be done.
I will be manifesting this scenario as well. With one more 1st to draft one of those ohl pwf wingers.
Old 01-27-2024, 12:30 AM   #487
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

I confess, I’ve never even watched a Tij Iginla highlight before tonight.

Maybe this is Self-evident, but after 120 seconds of tape, that’s quite literally Jarome Iginla 2.0.

They would be fools not to select him if he’s available. That young man is a franchise player.
Old 01-27-2024, 12:43 AM   #488
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
I confess, I’ve never even watched a Tij Iginla highlight before tonight.

Maybe this is Self-evident, but after 120 seconds of tape, that’s quite literally Jarome Iginla 2.0.

They would be fools not to select him if he’s available. That young man is a franchise player.
Yep, first time I saw him, it's like unless we are literally picking first, I'm all aboard the pick Iggy 2.0 train.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2024, 12:54 AM   #489
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

More Draft Thoughts (some USHL players to consider):

Left-handed RW Matvei Gridin was drafted 223rd overall in the 2022 USHL Draft, and he has exceeded all expectations for Muskegon, piling up 18 goals and 41 points in just 34 games for a club that currently sits 3rd in the East, and 5th overall (3rd in goals-for). Despite playing mostly on the second line, albeit with top PP duties, he leads the team in scoring while taking the 2nd overall spot in the scoring race, 5th in goals, and first overall for U-18 players. Those numbers pro-rate to 32 goals and 73 points in 61 USHL games- in a league that's considered to be hard to score in. Gridin currently has 14 points via the PP (7g,7a), and is tied for 2nd in the league with 5 game-winners. He plays on the same club with potential first-rounder, Sacha Boisvert.
Gridin's game is facilitated by his supreme puck-skills, and some say he's the best 1-on-1 player in the league. He doesn't always need to rush, as he's patient and can slow the game down, and he's highly elusive- he can go around you, or play the play the puck right through you. Shooting is definitely his perferred choice of weapon, as he averaged 6 shots per game in the first few months of action (and sometimes hit double-digits), but he's a dual-threat winger who shows some high-end playmaking, with crisp, accurate passing. His hard, accurate shooting arsenal comes with an NHL-caliber release, but he will also go the net hard to cause havok, or capitalize on tips and rebounds. Gridin is a smooth skater with separation speed, remarkable edgework and agility, and can cover a lot of ground quickly. He's not all finesse, as there's a little power in his game, and he will battle hard along the walls, corners, and in front of the net, and won't hesitate to lean into opponents to leverage his way to the middle, or to the net.
Despite his talent, Gridin's off-puck game is minus in the eyes of scouts. He often seems to be marching to his own drum- out of position, or late to the play. This problem affects his defensive zone play as well. It has has led to questions about his work ethic, as he has obvious hockey sense. He can drive play, but too often plays on the perimeter, waiting for the play to come to him. These are fixable problems, and it's impossible to ignore his tremendous offensive upside, but he will have time to work his problems out, as he's committed to the University of Michigan next year. Most likely a first-rounder.

Off-ice controversy aside, 6'1",161lb LW Trevor Connelly is a star in the making. I got my first look at him in last summer's Hlinka Gretzky Cup, and couldn't help comparing him to Trevor Zegras, as he was a human highlight reel every night. 10 points in 5 games, which was first on team USA by 3, and tied for 1st overall with Berkly Catton of Team Canada, and Adam Benak of team Czechia. For Tri-City of the USHL, he has amassed 12 goals and 39 points in just 28 games to date, and is currently tied for 4th in the league in assists. Connelly's 1.38 pts/gp is better than anyone else in the top-40.
Obviously, Connelly's offensive talent is undeniable. He's much more of a playmaker than goal-scorer, and he has uncanny vision with high-end IQ. His 5 goals at the Hlinka indicate that he's no slouch as a shooter though, and he's got a goal-scorer's soft hands with a lightning-quick release on a hard shot. TC's skating is nearly elite, with explosive start-up and acceleration. He can go from full stop to top-flight very rapidly, and can execute dazzling plays at top speed. He's shifty, and hard to predict with plenty of deception in his game, to go along with stellar edgework, quick changes of pace and direction, and good east/west speed. If one can call his skating nearly elite, then it's fair to call his puck skill elite- he can weave through, or around attackers, and make high-end plays in tight coverage. His puck-control and stickhandling are outstanding, making him highly elusive, and it's difficult to take the biscuit off of him. He's confident in carrying, and likes to have the puck on his stick, which helps him in transition- he likes to lead the breakout, and creates offense off the rush. He's a play driver, and one of the most skilled players in the draft. His off-puck game is also an asset, and he knows where to be proactively to facilitate scoring.
Connelly's work ethic is inconsistent, and his defensive game has come into question, but it's an off-ice social media incident that occured in 2022 that may be what determines where in the first round he is ultimately picked. I've read he's taken plenty of steps in an effort to redeem himself, namely training courses in diversity, equity, and inclusion, as well as being involved in an organization called Hockey Players of Color. Whether or not that's enough to rehab his image remains to be seen. Connelly has been accused of trying to do too much with the puck, but it's admirable that he makes attempts. He won't be able to get away with being too cute in the pros, though. First-round talent for sure, and has committed to Providence College.

Quebec-born LHC Sacha Boisvert was selected 12th overall in the 2022 QMJHL Draft by Chicoutimi, but elected to go the NCAA route, starting with the USHL's Muskegon Lumberjacks, where he currently has 19 goals and 35 points in 34 games, to go with 40 PIM. He's 14th in points, 4th in goals, and is on pace to score 34 goals in 61 games. Boisvert is a coveted C with size, at 6'2",179 lbs, and is a power forward who plays a physical brand of hockey. He is one of three USHL players who have been given an "A" rating by Central Scouting- the others being Trevor Connelly, and Cole Eiserman.
Obviously, Boisvert is a bit more of a shooter than a playmaker, but he's fully able to make high-end plays through traffic, or off the rush. He makes plays in full-flight, showing high-end vision and creativity. He is able to best his enemies with power or pace, and has plenty of jam. He's an effective forechecker, bearing down on puck-carriers like a hawk. Boisvert's skating mechanics aren't perfect, but he generates excellent speed from a wide stride, with the acceleration to separate from attackers, and surprising small-area quickness. His feet, combined with tight puck-protection, make it difficult to strip him of possession. Boisvert makes good decisions with the puck, and exhibits good skill, control, and stickhandling. He's confident in carrying, and surprisingly- he can weave in and out of traffic, and his game carries plenty of deception. Boisvert's shot is NHL-calibre, and he can score off the rush, but he's also hungry in tight- driving the net for tips and rebounds, and to cause havok. His off-puck game is a plus, and he has spatial awareness, so he knows where the holes are, and where to be. He battles hard in the grease, intimidates along the wall, and is a load down low.
As much as Boisvert is considered to be a good 200-ft player, his defense gets mixed reviews- specifically, the ebbs and flows in his focus and work-ethic in this area. When he's on, he clogs lanes quite well with his body and wingspan, and he's already used regularly on the PK. He can pull off highlight-reel plays that dazzle, but some wonder how it will translate to the NHL. Good news is, he's committed to North Dakota of the NCAA, which is a highly respected program, so he has plenty of runway. First-round pick for sure.

More and more, I'm seeing RHC Michael Hage's name come up, and he seems to be on a sharp rise on most lists. At the tender age of 17, he's already the marquee player for the Chicago Steel, who are perrenial contenders, but are in a bit of a rebuild right now. Gone from last year's team are Macklin Celebrini, Nick Moldenhauer, Jack Harvey, Jayden Perron, Quinn Finley, and Zam Plante. The Steel are currently 6th in the East out of 8, and are in a 3-way tie for 11th out of 16 teams overall, with a goals-for that puts them 12th. Despite having a weaker supporting staff, Hage has piled up 34 points in 30 games to date, good for 16th in scoring, with only 8 points coming via the PP. His current pace puts him on track to get 66 points in 58 games- to put that into a bit of perspective, Johnny Gaudreau had 72 in 60 in his draft year on a USHL team that won the Championship. Hage missed the entire 2020-21 Covid season, and only put in 13 games in 2022-23, due to injury.
Hage is the type of player that makes his teammates better, and drives play. He's equal parts scorer and cerebral playmaker, with top-tier advanced intelligence and vision, and a good shot with a deceptive release. Hage is an effortless skater, and extremely agile, with high-end skill. He seemingly attacks traffic, skating with his head up to scan for options, and can create something out of nothing in small spaces. Most scouts that have seen him play rave about his smooth stickhandling, and his wide array of 1-on-1 moves that he uses to slip in between attackers, and weave through traffic. He also has excellent lateral mobility, and will battle in the hard areas. Hage pushes pace, and has high motor.
Hage is fully capable defensively, but is often caught cheating for offense on a low-scoring team. His numbers are impressive, but 5 of his points came in one game. He is committed to the University of Michigan, but not until 2025-26, so there's oodles of runway for him to get bigger, stronger, and to round out his game. I believe we'll see him picked in the latter part of the first round.

The award for coolest name in the 2024 Draft might go to 6'0"(some say 6'1"),185lb LW John Mustard. He's with Waterloo of the USHL, and sits at just over a point-per-game to date, with 16 goals, 16 assists, for 32 points in 31 games. Waterloo is 4th in the West, and 8th overall currently, out of 16 teams. Mustard is one of the youngest players in the draft, with an August 16th Birthday.
Mustard is a rugged winger, who plays a hard-nosed game, and is more shooter than passer. He owns a good, hard, accurate shot, with a lightning-quick release. Mustard is involved in an inordinate amount of his team's offensive transitions, and is an unforgiving forechecker with a smart stick, and a good dose of physicality. He's an excellent skater, who pushes pace, and puts defenses on their heels. He can sometimes embarrass defenders with slick 1-on-1 moves. He will lead the charge, and drive the net- he doesn't care if it's pretty or not, so long as it crosses the goal-line. He will weave in and out of the crease and clean up garbage if given half the chance. He's gritty and competitive, will go to war in the trenches, crash the net, and attack high-danger areas. Mustard has well-developed vision and instincts, and can make high-impact plays, but he needs to find his teammates in high-danger more often. He is a responsible, two-way player who doesn't cheat the game, and plays the right way. He's committed to Providence College, where he should work on getting stronger, and developing his offense further. He might be a high-floor player, as he's capable of playing a bottom-6 role, but the hope and the potential is there for more. Look for him in the second round.

Last edited by Sandman; 03-25-2024 at 05:57 PM.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2024, 01:59 AM   #490
Stud_McCool
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It would be cool if Iggy was on the podium announcing the selection of his son.
Stud_McCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 06:31 AM   #491
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Would you trade Wolf straight up for Iginla? I think I would, but it would be hard.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 07:04 AM   #492
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud_McCool View Post
It would be cool if Iggy was on the podium announcing the selection of his son.
If they make multiple selections in the first and Iggy jr is the second one? Yes I think Conroy would let Jarome. Otherwise I think Jarome would insist Conroy get to make the first selection as GM.
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 08:34 AM   #493
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
Yep, first time I saw him, it's like unless we are literally picking first, I'm all aboard the pick Iggy 2.0 train.
Can Tij play centre?
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 08:35 AM   #494
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m still of the mind that you have to grab a centre or d with the high first
You can’t build around wingers
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2024, 08:39 AM   #495
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Flames especially because we don't really have a lot of young centers in the system. Zary might switch back to the middle at some point, but he's played the wing in the NHL so far. The other recent 1sts were wingers too (Pelletier, Coronato, Honzek) and there's a big cloud hanging over Rönni. Grabbing a center or two early in 2024 should be the priority.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2024, 09:32 AM   #496
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Best player available

I get the love for iggy, but have to do what’s best for the organization.

Can’t let your heart rule you head in this case. If he’s the best player on the list at the time to pick, get him. But stick to the list.

I worry about the crushing pressure he might face in this market. Can only imagine the expectations to live up to his old man. Wish the kid the best, but in an environment that’s best for his development, either here or elsewhere.
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Original FFIV For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2024, 09:33 AM   #497
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You can’t build around wingers alone.

You do still need elite wingers, and if Iggy Jr is sitting there, they should take him unless there he’s a clear tier below whoever’s left.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 09:37 AM   #498
Ziggy Lidstrom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thx sand man. Those three USHL players all sound amazing. This draft. Please get multiple firsts Connie.
Old 01-27-2024, 09:50 AM   #499
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
You can’t build around wingers alone.

You do still need elite wingers, and if Iggy Jr is sitting there, they should take him unless there he’s a clear tier below whoever’s left.
There at what spot?
I get the appeal but people are getting a little tunnel vision here
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2024, 09:58 AM   #500
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There at what spot?
I get the appeal but people are getting a little tunnel vision here
Because they’re the Flames, the pick will likely be somewhere between 6-10.

Top-5 or higher maybe a different discussion - but if you can get Jarome Iginla at picks 6-10, take the W.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft