Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2017, 08:35 PM   #141
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
FWIW Eric Francis was on the FAN 960 this afternoon with a very vocal impeachment of Wideman's character and attitude. I suspect that he is likely the source of this information.
Yup, important to note the Wideman 'attitude' thing is coming from Francis who we all know and love for his objective truthful takes on the flames.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:35 PM   #142
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Giordano-Brodie 25+ mins
Bartkowski-Engelland 22 mins
Andersson-Wideman 13 mins.

No need to give him any more than that, and this is a worst case scenario. Hamilton will probably be back next game and it would be

Giordano-Hamilton
Brodie-Engelland
Bartkowski-Wideman
I suspect you won't see Gio-Brodie. Engelland probably goes to top pairing if both are out. I dislike it but I think he can handle it for a game.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:37 PM   #143
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I suspect you won't see Gio-Brodie. Engelland probably goes to top pairing if both are out. I dislike it but I think he can handle it for a game.
Gulutzan immediately went to a Gio-Brodie tandem when the injuries happened last game. Obviously he doesn't want to, but there's no better partner for Gio than Brodie if BOTH Hamilton and Stone are out.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:38 PM   #144
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Please be joking...Wideman got points playing on a team playing pond hockey and no system.

He was bad then and is worse now.
He was fine then. This year he was getting decent points, as well. Mid range stats all around in the NHL before he was scratched. He isn't as good as Bart and Stone, especially in their respective roles, but he had some pretty good games, especially during the first mini-streak the Flames had.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:39 PM   #145
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Gulutzan immediately went to a Gio-Brodie tandem when the injuries happened last game. Obviously he doesn't want to, but there's no better partner for Gio than Brodie if BOTH Hamilton and Stone are out.
I thought I saw Engelland with Gio. But on second thought that might have been with only Hamilton out.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:40 PM   #146
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Giordano-Brodie 25+ mins

No need to give him any more than that, and this is a worst case scenario. Hamilton will probably be back next game and it would be

Giordano-Hamilton
Brodie-Engelland
Bartkowski-Wideman
I think when you call up anderson you play him on the 2nd pairing. You let brodie play with him and enjoy the game of a solid swede. 2 guys who understand the game and move around like skaters.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:43 PM   #147
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
I think when you call up anderson you play him on the 2nd pairing. You let brodie play with him and enjoy the game of a solid swede. 2 guys who understand the game and move around like skaters.
You cannot put a guy in his first pro-season, playing in his first NHL game, on the 2nd pairing in good conscience. Not unless that guy is a top 10 pick with blue chip talent, and even then I think twice about it.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2017, 09:36 PM   #148
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought that Wideman on some nights was Calgary's best defencemen. If not him, it was definitely Engelland. Maybe it was a solid 2 months of dependable play. Somehow he lost something again - confidence? He seems like a guy that perhaps suffers from confidence issues. If the Flames get that Wideman back that was good for two months this season, he will do a decent job of plugging that hole next to Giordano.

Also, Wideman wasn't always crappy. He was an absolute beast that year the Flames made the playoffs - offensively AND defensively.

However, if it is the same Wideman of the last month before being scratched, then yes, this will hurt. I for one just hope that Wideman has overcome whatever issue crept into his game again, and gives the Flames mistake-free dependable minutes filling a large hole on the team - at whatever capacity he is given.

I am looking forward to seeing Andersson, but the Flames are in the stretch drive for the playoffs. These are not the games you just hand a young guy who may or may not be ready, just to have him develop. Whomever gives the Flames the best chance to win is who should be playing. You dress Andersson when he is ready for a look, AND you have Hamilton and Stone in the lineup so you can really shelter him.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2017, 10:07 PM   #149
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You cannot put a guy in his first pro-season, playing in his first NHL game, on the 2nd pairing in good conscience. Not unless that guy is a top 10 pick with blue chip talent, and even then I think twice about it.
All that and no practice
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:20 PM   #150
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

If we use a callup on Andersson can he be sent down and brought up again?
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 01:24 AM   #151
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I thought that Wideman on some nights was Calgary's best defencemen. If not him, it was definitely Engelland. Maybe it was a solid 2 months of dependable play. Somehow he lost something again - confidence? He seems like a guy that perhaps suffers from confidence issues. If the Flames get that Wideman back that was good for two months this season, he will do a decent job of plugging that hole next to Giordano.

Also, Wideman wasn't always crappy. He was an absolute beast that year the Flames made the playoffs - offensively AND defensively.

However, if it is the same Wideman of the last month before being scratched, then yes, this will hurt. I for one just hope that Wideman has overcome whatever issue crept into his game again, and gives the Flames mistake-free dependable minutes filling a large hole on the team - at whatever capacity he is given.

I am looking forward to seeing Andersson, but the Flames are in the stretch drive for the playoffs. These are not the games you just hand a young guy who may or may not be ready, just to have him develop. Whomever gives the Flames the best chance to win is who should be playing. You dress Andersson when he is ready for a look, AND you have Hamilton and Stone in the lineup so you can really shelter him.
By some nights, do you mean maybe one or two games and then the other 50 he was one of the worst?

I respect your posts on this site but you're way too nice and positive when talking about the Flames. I know some say I'm negative but come on Wideman a beast defensively when we made the playoffs? He was terrible defensively. I remember the talk being "well at least he's out scoring his mistakes" because he was making so many.

Wideman even after that good year offensively was a black hole defensively. That's some revisionist history calling him a beast defensively.

Wideman had never been even above average defensively let alone a beast.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 02:08 AM   #152
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

We are trying to make the playoffs, and then at some point win the cup.

Obviously Wideman plays. Even if he's been an ass since the 2 defenseman were acquired. He is still an NHL defenseman with years of experience.

I hate Wideman as much as anyone, but how do you risk throwing a first year pro into the lineup with 2 point on the line? With 2nd place in the division on the line? With home ice in the playoffs on the line?

You put a rookie in and he screws up, you screw up the rookie, and you screw up the season.

Please all of you know that I wanted to use the F word, but I didn't.
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:08 AM   #153
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Giordano-Brodie 25+ mins

Giordano-Hamilton
Brodie-Engelland
Bartkowski-Wideman
More likely they do what Chicago has done in the past and more or less run 4 pairings.

Giordano - Wideman
Brodie - Engelland
Bartkowski - Andersson
Giordano - Brodie

Also Bartkowski in the top 4 will be just as bad as Wideman in the top 4 if we are being honest here. He's only in the lineup over Wideman because he's more physical and he's a LHS, defensively he's no better at all.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:36 AM   #154
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Maybe Francis is himself a believer of the Wideman effect and is just making up crap to convince those listening that dressing him is not in the team's best interest.

Yes Eric, we all would prefer the team part ways with the guy, but he's still an experienced defenceman and those guys have some value over pro rookies.

Johnny came out and defended Wideman yesterday, so I dunno. If these rumours about him b####ing and not being a team player were true, surely the team wouldn't rush to his side so quickly.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 07:24 AM   #155
Cycling76er
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
If we use a callup on Andersson can he be sent down and brought up again?
He can simply be turned into a regular call-up without going through the "down and back up" process. Someone explained earlier in the thread the circumstances in which he can play when he's an emergency call-up (basically both Hamilton and Stone would have to be unable to play). If we wanted to play him with only one of those two injured he'd have to be a regular call up.
Cycling76er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:29 AM   #156
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycling76er View Post
He can simply be turned into a regular call-up without going through the "down and back up" process. Someone explained earlier in the thread the circumstances in which he can play when he's an emergency call-up (basically both Hamilton and Stone would have to be unable to play). If we wanted to play him with only one of those two injured he'd have to be a regular call up.
The question was, I think, if he becomes a regular callup, can he be sent down and recalled later without fuss?
Old 03-11-2017, 08:34 AM   #157
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

If he is converted to a regular call up he can be sent back down and called up.

However each time he is called up on a non-emergency it will count as one of the four call ups. In other words, if they call him up 4 times (non-emergency) they will use all their call ups.

The Oilers famously misunderstood this rule when it was first introduced and assumed it meant they could call up and down 4 different players with impunity. They were shocked when the league informed them they were out of recalls.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2017, 08:44 AM   #158
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
If he is converted to a regular call up he can be sent back down and called up.

However each time he is called up on a non-emergency it will count as one of the four call ups. In other words, if they call him up 4 times (non-emergency) they will use all their call ups.

The Oilers famously misunderstood this rule when it was first introduced and assumed it meant they could call up and down 4 different players with impunity. They were shocked when the league informed them they were out of recalls.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:01 AM   #159
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Because Andersson is an emergency recall - he can only get into the lineup if both Hamilton and Stone are out tonight right? If just Stone is out, then Wideman needs to slot in before Andersson, otherwise it would invalidate the emergency status. Am I looking at that right Sureloss?
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:04 AM   #160
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
Because Andersson is an emergency recall - he can only get into the lineup if both Hamilton and Stone are out tonight right? If just Stone is out, then Wideman needs to slot in before Andersson, otherwise it would invalidate the emergency status. Am I looking at that right Sureloss?
Yes, but as it has been pointed out many times in this thread, the Flames can convert his emergency recall into a non-emergeny recall if they want to and then they can dress Andersson over Wideman.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post: