Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-11-2017, 09:33 PM   #41
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

When you're in a spot where you can go 2 games under .500 and still be likely in the playoffs, it feels good.

At this rate, they may end up as the 4th best team in the west (depending how the two games against SJ go, we could steal the division).
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:37 AM   #42
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another day another drop in the Flames Magic Number. Down to 11.5 with the win against Winnipeg. With Magic Numbers of 7.5, 7, and 6.5 for the 10th-12th placed teams, Calgary is going to finish in the top 9 barring something strange happening.

The most likely outcomes from the remaining 14 games is that the Flames will either finish 2nd in the Pacific, 3rd in the Pacific, or in the first wild card spot facing the San Jose Sharks. Strange things could happen like the Flames continuing their torrid pace and beat the Sharks in both meetings to take the division, or fade a bit and fall back to the 2nd wild card spot to face either the Wild or Hawks. Both are unlikely outcomes though.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2017, 01:41 AM   #43
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

19. That's my number now. 19 to drop the Sharks down a spot.
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:53 AM   #44
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames match the Sharks in points and win the make up ground games in regulation, we will both have an equal number of ROW.

The next tie breaker is record vs each other

Thus far

Flames win in SJ
Sharks win in SJ
Flames win in CGY

Still a home and home remaining. Because of the odd number of games, the Flames first win in SJ does not count. So the season series is effectively tied, which means they'll need to get 3 points against them in the final two games. Realistically, they will need all 4 and SJ to get 0 for this to even be a possibility.
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2017, 01:56 AM   #45
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
If the Flames match the Sharks in points and win the make up ground games in regulation, we will both have an equal number of ROW.

Thus far

Flames win in SJ
Sharks win in SJ
Flames win in CGY

Still a home and home remaining. Because of the odd number of games, the Flames first win in SJ does not count. So the season series is effectively tied, which means they'll need to get 3 points against them in the final two games. Realistically, they will need all 4 and SJ to get 0 for this to even be a possibility.
I'm going all in.
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:46 AM   #46
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
At this rate, they may end up as the 4th best team in the west (depending how the two games against SJ go, we could steal the division).
Quote:
The most likely outcomes from the remaining 14 games is that the Flames will either finish 2nd in the Pacific, 3rd in the Pacific, or in the first wild card spot facing the San Jose Sharks. Strange things could happen like the Flames continuing their torrid pace and beat the Sharks in both meetings to take the division, or fade a bit and fall back to the 2nd wild card spot to face either the Wild or Hawks. Both are unlikely outcomes though.
Believe it, it's going to happen. It is highly likely.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:09 AM   #47
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

The magic numbers are decreasing in the Flames favour. The red lines in the Avs column/row is getting longer.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:07 AM   #48
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

So after last night's win and LA's loss, Flames magic number should be at 10.5 if i'm reading the chart correctly.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:17 AM   #49
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:20 AM   #50
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
So after last night's win and LA's loss, Flames magic number should be at 10.5 if i'm reading the chart correctly.
The Flames win over the Penguins took it down to 10.5, then the Kings loss made it 9.5
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:35 AM   #51
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

My favourite part about the opening post is the statement that, if the Flames go 7-7-0 the rest of the way, the Flames need to go 7-6-1 to finish ahead of the Flames.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:24 AM   #52
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick View Post
The Flames win over the Penguins took it down to 10.5, then the Kings loss made it 9.5
That's 9.5 wins right? Not points?
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:26 AM   #53
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, the 9.5 is win.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:36 AM   #54
Samiz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If I understand correctly, it's 0.5 magic number per point gained by Calgary and per point lost by LA.

So in total, any combination of the Flames getting 19 points and LA missing 19 points means the Flames wouldn't be catchable
Samiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:55 AM   #55
trumpethead
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Thus far

Flames win in SJ
Sharks win in SJ
Flames win in CGY

I didn't believe you, so I looked it up:

Tie-Breaking procedure If two clubs are tied in points, games played and ROW during the regular season

The greater number of points earned in games between the tied clubs. If two clubs are tied, and have not played an equal number of home games against each other, points earned in the first game played in the city that had the extra game shall not be included. If more than two clubs are tied, the higher percentage of available points earned in games among those clubs, and not including any "odd" games, shall be used to determine the standing.
trumpethead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trumpethead For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2017, 12:22 AM   #56
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the Flames win and the Kings two losses, one in OT (SO), the Flames magic number drops to 9. Virtually impossible for the Flames to miss now unless the Kings win most of their games from here on out.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2017, 02:09 AM   #57
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ok. I've been seeing this magic number for years now, I've been too embarrassed to ask before because my brain can't figure it out. What exactly is this "magic number"? What is the significance?
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:16 AM   #58
tsquared1967
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I am scratching my head on this one.

The Kings have 73 points with 13 games remaining. They win out and they will have 99 points with a record of 46-29-7.

The Flames have 82 points with 13 games remaining. They win 8 games, lose 4 in regulation and lose 1 in OT. This would give them 99 points as well but their record would be 47-30-5.

Would the Flames be in the playoffs with 47 wins vs. the Kings 46? Is the magic number 9 or 8.5?
tsquared1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:20 AM   #59
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsquared1967 View Post
I am scratching my head on this one.

The Kings have 73 points with 13 games remaining. They win out and they will have 99 points with a record of 46-29-7.

The Flames have 82 points with 13 games remaining. They win 8 games, lose 4 in regulation and lose 1 in OT. This would give them 99 points as well but their record would be 47-30-5.

Would the Flames be in the playoffs with 47 wins vs. the Kings 46? Is the magic number 9 or 8.5?
LA has 31 ROW currently, so 13 more ROW puts them at 44 with 99 pts in your scenario.

CGY has 35 ROW currently, so 8 more ROW would put them at 43 with 99 pts. LA has the tie breaker as a result in this scenario.

I think that's why.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:24 AM   #60
tsquared1967
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
LA has 31 ROW currently, so 13 more ROW puts them at 44 with 99 pts in your scenario.

CGY has 35 ROW currently, so 8 more ROW would put them at 43 with 99 pts. LA has the tie breaker as a result in this scenario.

I think that's why.
Current standings show Calgary has a record of 39-26-4 for 82 points. Kings have a record of 33-29-7 for 73 points. I guess I don't understand how they calculate the ROW.
tsquared1967 is offline   Reply With Quote