Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 11:04 PM   #2221
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pretty cool video I stumbled across.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BloodFetish For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2015, 08:19 AM   #2222
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Cycletrack opens today. It's also Bike-to-School day. It's going to be busy on the paths so take your time.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:07 AM   #2223
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

New cycletrack working great already.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2015, 10:10 AM   #2224
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
For cyclists getting caught by the Stanley Park path closure, I'd suggest taking the Elbow Park pedestrian bridge across and then cutting through there until 32nd and meeting up with the pathway there before getting to 2nd St (or wherever you're going). Should be easier than taking that detour until the path opens back up.

Stanley Park Pathway is open once again. Rode that and a few blocks of the new cycletrack this morning.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:13 PM   #2225
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Saw this on Calgary Reddit...
"Bike paths have ruined my life" lol..
https://soundcloud.com/newstalk770/prems-phone-call
Old 06-02-2015, 07:31 PM   #2226
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I rode both directions on 12th ave today and it was glorious. There were city of Calgary people every couple blocks answering questions. I stopped to chat and got a sticker.

Also, i've worn a suit and tie and had my shoulder bag slung over me and rode my bike to the Metropolitan center. Pram is being a little dramatic, and not saying she should embrace the bike lanes and just ride instead, but it is possible during the nice months. Get a rack and some panniers and you can bring your whole office on your bike without much trouble.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:39 PM   #2227
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

This Prem person is just lazy. She's been ranting on Twitter for a few days now. Just whining.

http://twitter.com/Prem_S
Old 06-03-2015, 07:12 AM   #2228
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't read any thing on the new cycle tracks anymore, it's just depressing. SO many people with their knickers in a twist to what will amount to a few more minutes of commute time in their cars.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:14 AM   #2229
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ i listened to her comments on QR - and i was wondering if she is correct with respect to the difficulty with respect to finding casual parking downtonw these days.

if a person had a random meeting downtown at 11 am on a tuesday, could they reasonably expect to find a parking spot somewhere within the area?
Old 06-03-2015, 09:37 AM   #2230
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
I can't read any thing on the new cycle tracks anymore, it's just depressing. SO many people with their knickers in a twist to what will amount to a few more minutes of commute time in their cars.
People don't like change. By the summer's end no one will care, and far more people will support the lanes than not.

The thing that amazes me about this city sometimes is how much people cling to inefficiency. I took the west LRT line to 69 Street a few times lately after work -- and its surprisingly empty. Yet you glance at Bow Trail and its still bumper to bumper cars, the vast majority with a driver and no passengers in them.

Everyone knows alternate transportation, including biking and better transit is necessary for a growing city, and really is the wave of the future. Some people just can't put their personal convenience (even thought its marginally effected) aside for the development of a far better city in the long run.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2015, 07:23 PM   #2231
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Because this thread is huge, tough to dig thru even with search feature.
Yet another bike recommendation (Cross-country) request. Got some tips from a friend on features to strive for, but still not sure where to begin the search:
"Get a carbon frame, full suspension, xc bike with 4 inches of travel front and back, and minimum Shimano xt or Sram X9 components. In stores that will run you serious money; consider used."

Thoughts welcomed!
Old 06-13-2015, 08:00 PM   #2232
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
I drove it at 8:30 Thursday Morning from Crowchild to McLeod. I would at at min it double the amount of time that stretch would normally take, with people randomly cutting each other off because the left lane suddenly ends. I think it has had a much bigger impact on traffic than people are making it out to be, but still only around 4 minutes or so.

I don't think the principal of the cycle track is a bad Idea, but as A driver I just cannot fathom why it had to be on 11th or 12th, rather than 10th or 13th. What is the sense in adding congestion to busy arteries?

Also saw 1 bike still on the main road, which pisses me off. If they are going to bother investing in a cycle track the cyclists should get off the road.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:34 PM   #2233
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
I don't think the principal of the cycle track is a bad Idea, but as A driver I just cannot fathom why it had to be on 11th or 12th, rather than 10th or 13th. What is the sense in adding congestion to busy arteries?
10th and 13th don't have lanes to spare for a cycle track. You either take away residential parking permanently (13th), commercial parking permanently (10th), or commercial parking temporarily (12th). That was the crux of the reasoning behind it; 12th had the lanes to spare.

Quote:
Also saw 1 bike still on the main road, which pisses me off. If they are going to bother investing in a cycle track the cyclists should get off the road.
What is a bigger contributor to traffic on 12th right now. A single cyclist not actually breaking the law by cycling in a road lane, or a single vehicle illegally parked in a no parking during rush hour lane?

Because the most complaints I've heard is about the lane blocking off parking which has caused Purolator (and such) trucks to park in the travel lane. Drivers are the ones doing illegal things along 12th that are causing traffic backups, blaming cyclists is pointing the fingers at the wrong people.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:46 PM   #2234
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Yet another bike recommendation (Cross-country) request. Got some tips from a friend on features to strive for, but still not sure where to begin the search:
"Get a carbon frame, full suspension, xc bike with 4 inches of travel front and back, and minimum Shimano xt or Sram X9 components. In stores that will run you serious money; consider used."

Thoughts welcomed!
Santa Cruz Tallboy carbon. One of the best bikes I've owned. You can find a few for sale used. I knew 5 people who owned one and loved it. I sold mine for a bigger travel bike and got a 2015 Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon Expert Evo 29er.
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2015, 12:25 AM   #2235
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Thoughts welcomed!
I think that if you're riding the terrain around here, the climbing abilities of the XC bike are a big priority. I would gravitate towards the higher-end rear suspension set-ups to maximize pedal efficiency (dw-link, VPP, horst link, etc). Older singlepivots just bob way too much on the steep stuff around here.

I'm currently on an Ibis (140mm travel) that I've obsessively upgraded. It weights in (including reverb and pedals) at 25 pounds. It functions perfectly fine as an XC bike and I have enough suspension to get rowdy coming down. At the end of the season, I plan on picking up either a Yeti ASR-C or a carbon Transition Scout (rumored for 2016) to try out the long, slack, low geometry in an XC bike.

TL;DR - there are lots of good XC bikes. you'll have to try them out to see what works for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to cracher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2015, 11:03 AM   #2236
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Thoughts welcomed!
I just started last year picking up an alumninum hard tail xc 29er with deore/slx components and an entry level air fork for under $1000. My abilities limit me far more than the bike does and I suspect will for quite a while.

So I would consider whether your ability supports the bike you afe going to buy. But listen to everyone else's advice more than me because I barely know what I'm doing.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2015, 11:27 AM   #2237
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

something to note, is how good are you? and where are you going to ride? Most guys I ride with are riding niner carbon hard tails. My stump jumper is total overkill around here. I got it because I thought I may get into enduros. That didn't happen, so my bike is now for sale and I'm thinking of the Ibis Ripley now.
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2015, 01:13 PM   #2238
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
So I would consider whether your ability supports the bike you afe going to buy.
So wish this were a universal truth.

In my regular riding group of 5 guys, we have a rule: first person to request a stop on a climb buys post-ride food and beers. If you have ever picked up the tab for 5 guys who just burned 1800 calories, you'll realize that it's much more cost effective to open the wallet at the LBS instead of the restaurant.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:13 PM   #2239
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Thoughts welcomed!
What's your budget?
Old 06-15-2015, 02:16 PM   #2240
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks everyone for the input/advice.

I;ve done lots of biking/cycling but an admitted newbie to XC. I don't plan on doing anything crazy from the downhill perspective. Thus, would like have a bike that covers intermediate needs.

Although I like to invest in something that will last as my skill progresses.

Depends, of course, on new or used with respect to what I'm will to spend. I don't mind spending a little more if the deal and value is there.

I was thinking in the $2000-3000 range depending on what that gets me - of course would love to pay less (be easier to convince the little woman...hah) , but realize you do have to pay for quality.

Thanks