Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2016, 04:37 PM   #1
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Let's talk about balls

I'm thinking about getting into softball, and need some advice, figured some of you guys would be able to help.

I have a baseball bat, and was wondering if I can use that bat for softball as well, or if I should get a softball specific bat? And what would the difference be. I have the same question about gloves, I already have a baseball glove so can I use that for softball? Or will the ball be too big for her glove and I should just get a softball specific glove? (If there's even a difference)

Also do you guys recommend buying a pair of cleats, or will basic runners work?

I know the rules of baseball (hardball) but I'm not too sure if there are any major role changes In softball compared to hardball?

Thanks everyone!
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 04:45 PM   #2
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I never bought cleats to play softball, I just used my normal shoes and they seemed to work fine but I mostly play outfield or first base. If I was playing a more mobile position I might get cleats but doubt it.

Definitely get a softball bat, IIRC the balance points are different and you would be able to hit a lot better with a softball bat because of it.

If you're strictly going to play softball get a softball glove the pocket is bigger and deeper which works better with the bigger softer ball.

In terms of rules

It depends on the league

What I remember is if you hit a home run everyone on the opposing team has to chug a beer. If you strike out everyone on your team has to point at you and laugh while you chug a beer and call you diversive names

If you steal a base, your sent back to the previous base and openly mocked and have to drink a beer.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2016, 05:02 PM   #3
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you strike out you bring a case of beer . Everyone chugs those beers . Come on get the rules right or he'll look like an idiot !
Jason14h is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 05:06 PM   #4
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you are in the SW, come out to Optimist Sundays. The CP Slopitch team plays at 1800 and 1940 or so.

Check it out. You can learn the rules pretty quick watching a game. If you are awesome we might sign you up.
Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 05:07 PM   #5
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wouldn't recommend using a hardball bat, but I don't think it would damage it. You'll need a softball glove for sure - the ball is so much bigger than a hardball you'd have a tough time with just a baseball glove.

Cleats are way over the top for softball in my opinion. If you do wear them, people will expect you to be a rockstar.

Rules all depend on the league. There are some differences that are universal to all leagues though:

-You can strike out on a foul ball if its strike 3 (cannot foul off a 2 strike pitch and "stay alive")
-Ten people field instead of 9, resulting in a "rover" position
-"Respect" line is usually in play for the outfield, so the outfielders can only come in so far to avoid people running an 8 person infield for poorer hitters
Old 05-27-2016, 05:09 PM   #6
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Depending on what league you play in, you will likely need an ASA approved bat. So that is something to check on in terms of your current one.

Get cleats. I found that even cheap, crappy cleats made a difference compared to regular runners.

As far as rule changes go, the bigger ones in the league's I've played in (including CSSC) have included the orange bag at first - to avoid collisions, and rules at home plate: you run behind the plate instead of touching it, and the existence of a commitment line which prevents you from returning to third base once you've crossed it. Other rule differences (i.e.: whether a foul constitutes a third strike, whether walking a male batter on four pitches with a female on deck awards two bases, etc.) would be handled on a league to league basis.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2016, 05:10 PM   #7
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan1297 View Post
I'm thinking about getting into softball, and need some advice, figured some of you guys would be able to help.

I have a baseball bat, and was wondering if I can use that bat for softball as well, or if I should get a softball specific bat? And what would the difference be. I have the same question about gloves, I already have a baseball glove so can I use that for softball? Or will the ball be too big for her glove and I should just get a softball specific glove? (If there's even a difference)

Also do you guys recommend buying a pair of cleats, or will basic runners work?

I know the rules of baseball (hardball) but I'm not too sure if there are any major role changes In softball compared to hardball?

Thanks everyone!
More in regards to your questions,

I have always used a baseball glove and have no problems. But I use a big one.

I wear cleats, would recommend it. Cannot use metal studs though.

Get a softball bat. There are thousands and you can get used ones pretty cheap for starting out. There is a buy sell on facebook I think. Or go to a used sports equipment store.

The rules are essentially the same, not hard to grasp the differences.
Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aeneas For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2016, 05:57 PM   #8
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Beer makes it fun

Don't swallow too many sunflower seed shells

Don't try to catch a rolling fielder if there's gopher holes
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:33 PM   #9
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you are on the field you can set your beer down during the play. If the batter hits the ball into your beer he's out.

Beer is better than most short stops
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:57 PM   #10
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote