Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2014, 09:04 AM   #41
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Man, parties these days are way more unstable than when I used to go to house parties (98-05)... why are people so angry? Why the increase in violence?
The ego complex of guys fresh from highschool, has skyrocketed to stupid levels.

News flash, it aint jersey shore here. Stop fist pumping and acting like a self entitled "bro".

Its sad what happened, hopefully the book is thrown at this guy.

Last edited by Otto-matic; 04-15-2014 at 09:19 AM.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2014, 09:04 AM   #42
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

"The University of Calgary is mourning the loss of five young people killed early this morning in Brentwood. The identities of the deceased have not yet been confirmed by Calgary Police Services. Once details are confirmed by Calgary Police Services, the university will provide a further statement."

Latest from UofC. If these have been UofC students, there will probably be a lot of on campus counseling resources for anyone impacted
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:09 AM   #43
Troubamaker
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradster57 View Post
I guess the moral is don't party with people you don't know. Remember that murder in Auburn bay? I think they were just neighbors.
Remember the stabbing last year in Brentwood of a U of C student? He was trying to kick out people who weren't invited to the party.
Troubamaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:17 AM   #44
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubamaker View Post
Remember the stabbing last year in Brentwood of a U of C student? He was trying to kick out people who weren't invited to the party.
That was just recently in court, I believe. IIRC, some people came back looking for a certain person, and the guy who was murdered had the same name as the one they were looking for.

Just so senseless. I saw this on Twitter very early this morning when "only" 3 people were killed. It was horribly tragic even then, obviously, and it is sad to see that it is now 5. Unbelievable.

Funnily enough, I was driving near the University (Uxbridge area?) last night and saw about 20 people sitting on the roof of a house, which reminded me that it was BSD. People just having fun. So sad.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:24 AM   #45
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Never was a fan of big house parties for this exact reason. Unfortunately there are a lot of young guys who hang in groups looking for parties to crash, and with someone you know nothing about the level of risk gets to be pretty high. All it takes is one drunk loser to lose his #### and then who knows what can happen? There's very little rationality to an angry, drunk young guy, and without thinking now his life is over too with the 5 others. Except he gets to keep breathing and they don't. Unbelievable, he deserves the maximum punishment.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:26 AM   #46
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am interested to see the U of C's response. I believe that now to get tickets/into events you need to be a student. I can recall back in the 90's such was not the case.

BSD is an interesting beast. It grew from a truely student invented/lead event to what appears to be an instituation sanctioned event.

Sadly, even if the U of C shut down, or curtailed the scope of BSD, I think it would still go on off campus. I am sure there are off campus businesses that would be happy to take students monies.

Sad day for the families of the dead.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:28 AM   #47
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Holy sh*t!!

I have never seen a BSD party gone this bad before.
This is one of the worst murders in the history of the city. So yeah. Hard to imagine how a party could go worse. It's really unbelievable.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:29 AM   #48
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

BSD is a cash cow for local bars, clubs, pubs and liqour stores. Any decision around BSD going forward will probably have input from the community and community businesses.

To be fair, BSD was technically long over when this happened. And apparently this wasn't even a loud or crazy party.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:31 AM   #49
Robotic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This is a sad story. My thoughts go out to the friends and families of the victims.

A couple years ago my roommates and I threw a house party for a friend who invited several others who we didn't really know. Half way through the night 3 masked men came threw the front door with metal pipes and started beating the guy who lived downstairs, whom we also invited to the party. That was a quick way to crash a party. Ever since then I've been more selective on who I invited to my parties, and where I go too as well.
Robotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:34 AM   #50
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, that's nuts.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:41 AM   #51
SHOGUN
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Mind boggling how one person can do so much damage with a knife.
SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:42 AM   #52
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty crazy as I had been to a couple of BSD house parties in that area when I was at U of C. Have the identities of the victims been released?
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:43 AM   #53
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

I went to Manning, stabbings were a regular occurrence at house parties. But it was usually isolated to vietnamese gangs.

This sounds different. Was it one person that did it? How do you pull that off?

Unless you're the chick form Kill Bill
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:44 AM   #54
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Exams come after BSD... never understood what these people were celebrating?
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:46 AM   #55
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Don't exams come after BSD? What are they celebrating?

The end of classes.

I can't find a source for this, but my hazy recollection from the early 90's is a student in the 50's or 60's went around to some of the alrger lecture halls and wrote on the boards "Everyone wear Bermuda Shorts on the last day of class". It has grown from there.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:47 AM   #56
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Unfortunately some people seem to be hard wired to extract revenge on anyone who "disrespects" them. Throw alcohol into the mix and they end up with a hair trigger that goes to a visceral/violent reaction without thought to consequence.

The closest thing to a physical fight I've even been in resulted from me refusing to get into the car with a drunk driver in college. Our "DD" for the night had slammed 6-7 beer in the course of 2 hours and proceeded to throw up on himself.

At that point I basically said "{X} I'm not getting into your car, let's just call a cab, I'll even pay for it." instantly something in his brain clicked over and I didn't "trust" him to drive, and thus had disrespected him. Long story short he hopped into his car anyways and drove off, and we took a cab to our next destination. When we arrived he immediately charged at me screaming "You're gonna pay! You're dead!".

I turtled, other folks pulled him off and throw his drunk ass out the door. He proceeded to call back and threaten that he was going to come back and make sure I paid.

All of this because I refused to get into his car after he had thrown up on himself and was in no condition to drive.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:48 AM   #57
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
The end of classes.

I can't find a source for this, but my hazy recollection from the early 90's is a student in the 50's or 60's went around to some of the alrger lecture halls and wrote on the boards "Everyone wear Bermuda Shorts on the last day of class". It has grown from there.
The end of classes, but not exams, warranting a full day of celebration is just odd to me. Attending university classes really isn't that grueling a thing. The study time and prep before as many as 5 exams on the other hand...

Its been almost 10 years for me and I don't recall the day being so crazy. I think I was there the first year they started wrist bands.

Anyway, people are free to party as they please, but 12+ hours of drunken debauchery often has a bad outcome. Like it or not, this puts some heat on U of C, regardless of whether it occurred off campus.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 04-15-2014 at 09:53 AM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:49 AM   #58
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kids are more butthurt these days. Seems like it, anyways. They hold grudges for waaaay too long and for no good reason.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2014, 09:51 AM   #59
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Kids are more butthurt these days. Seems like it, anyways. They hold grudges for waaaay too long and for no good reason.
Probably internet/social media/connectivity.

Before you could get away from gossip and bullying if even only for a few hours when you were home at night, unless someone called you or came to your door. Now kids communicate almost 24/7 so it's always right in their face.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:52 AM   #60
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Drugs and alcohol are bad.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote