Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
CarlW
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Naturopaths Recognized in Alberta

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle4441076/

Quote:
Alberta has beefed up the powers of its naturopathic doctors, giving them full status as medical professionals but stopping short of funding treatment.
Quote:
They’ll be allowed to perform injections; minor surgeries, such as wart removal; ear exams; and, with additional training, other procedures such as the use of some intravenous treatments.

They can’t prescribe drugs or order x-rays.
Not sure what a Naturopath is, hope it doesn't include Homeopaths as that stuff seems useless.
CarlW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:16 PM   #2
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Dislike.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2012, 05:28 PM   #3
normtwofinger
Self-Retirement

Exp:

^ Why?
normtwofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by normtwofinger View Post
^ Why?
It's not real science.
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Handsome B. Wonderful For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pseudoscience
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:35 PM   #6
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

But can they give you a prescription for medical marijuana? In BC they can sign a Canada Health Permit allowing you to buy Medical Grade Marijuana.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2012, 05:35 PM   #7
old-fart
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aren't Naturopaths pretty much the same as homeopathy? Crackpot snake oil salesmen for the exceedingly gullible.
old-fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #8
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

At least they haven't allowed prescribing.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:37 PM   #9
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by normtwofinger View Post
^ Why?
I'm about to go to the gym, but naturopathy is based on the auspices that natural=good and synthetic=bad. Naturopathy is not evidence based and I'll quote the stance from the American Cancer Society:

"Available scientific evidence does not support claims that naturopathic medicine can cure cancer or any other disease, since virtually no studies on naturopathy as a whole have been published."

Admittedly, certain natural remedies may be beneficial for many applications. My problem with naturopathy is that it is based around an industry that does not follow the scientific method and employs the use of "medicines" which are not subjected to the same scrutiny that FDA and other related organizations place on other therapies.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #10
joe_mullen
Scoring Winger

Exp:

slippery slope. do not like one bit.
joe_mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:48 PM   #11
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Lets drop labels, just for fun sakes.

I want a solution to a problem I have 2 options, a "naturopath" and the other a "medical professional."

One can only use the scientific method, peer review and rigorous regulation in order to help me, the other, can help me if they avoid making claims, use feel good terms like "natural" "organic" "herbal" and can pretty much tell me anything they feel like, as long as on paper they don't make claims that can be tested..

ON PAPER THAT CAN NOT BE TESTED. Yes a whole segment of pseudo science, modern snake oil remedies that avoids like the plague making statements that can be tested in order to exist.. This sounds totally legit.

But their excuses..

"Dude big pharma man, dude they are evil and want to drug us all"

"natural is better, these "drugs" are not natural." *yep, if we didn't have these drugs we could live to a natural existence of 30yrs of life, BAM you showed them darn scientisty people.

"We have too much of a; 'Pills solve everything society.."

Yep, we do, and so much work is to be done fighting against unecessary prescriptions, but not at the result of all drugs being treated as something we shouldn't trust.

I could go on for quite a bit more, but lets face facts. Evidence based research, IE the scientific method is a crap of a lot better than natural, holistic, homeopathic, crap that big placebo tries to sell us.

If anything can be proven as a legitimate treatment for anything, it goes from being a alternative medicine to a *drum roll* MEDICINE.

In fact, big evil pharma spends a considerable amount of time studying alternative claims in hopes of finding truth in it so they could take it and make money off of it.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:56 PM   #12
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Neil deGrasse Tyson ‏@neiltyson
Q: What do you call Alternative Medicine that survives double-blind laboratory tests?
A: Regular Medicine.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2012, 06:02 PM   #13
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Neil deGrasse Tyson ‏@neiltyson
Q: What do you call Alternative Medicine that survives double-blind laboratory tests?
A: Regular Medicine.
This is just it. If Naturopaths had discovered some great remedy or procedure, traditional medicine would incoporate it.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2012, 06:19 PM   #14
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall;3805g358
This is just it. If Naturopaths had discovered some great remedy or procedure, traditional medicine would incoporate it.
As a pharmacist, I don't care much for"natural" remedies with outrageous unproven claims. Having said that, it's prevalent in traditional medicine (NOT the same as evidence based). Take a look down the cold aisle. Almost none of those products would stand up to scrutiny. Expectorants? Don't work. Cough suppressants? Barely at best.

Having said that, we need less of that kind of medicine, not more
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #15
Knut

Exp:

^ It has happened allready.

A certain vitamin combination plus Omega 3's has been proven to decrease the chance of getting Wet AMD. Check out the AREDS study if you are interested.
Knut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:35 PM   #16
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I know nothing about naturopathy. All I know is that a raw carrot is healthier than a fried potato chip.

Can I make some money now?
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:59 PM   #17
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
I don't know what Wet AMD is but I kinda want it.
Age-related Macular Degeneration.
Knut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:25 PM   #18
sworkhard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
That's not really true. Nobody ever tests what the Naturopaths/Homeopaths/Chinese Medicine practitioners prescribe in double blind laboratory tests because the cost of testing is too high and you can't patent it if it works. Basically, there is no money in these remedies, so it doesn't get tested, so traditional medicine doesn't every incorporate it because it isn't proven.

I've seen people have some really good success with minor issues using Naturopaths,etc. The prescriptions I've seen work though were the ones that had some supporting scientific evidence, but not double blind 1000's of people trying it quality of evidence. My view is if you are sick, you go to the doctor who will try get you back to normal. You go to a Naturopath/Homeopath, etc when your not happy with your normal, and are willing to take the risks of making your normal worse, for the smaller chance that you'll make it better. Adopting a good diet, sleep, and exercise routine is going to have a lot more benefit for 99% of people.

Last edited by sworkhard; 07-25-2012 at 07:31 PM.
sworkhard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sworkhard For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2012, 07:28 PM   #19
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworkhard View Post
That's not really true. Nobody ever tests what the Naturopaths/Homeopaths/Chinese Medicine practitioners prescribe in double blind laboratory tests because the cost of testing is too high and you can't patent it if it works. Basically, there is no money in these remedies, so it doesn't get tested, so traditional medicine doesn't every incorporate it because it isn't proven.

I've seen people have some really good success with minor issues using Naturopaths. My view is if you have a condition, are sick, etc, you go to the doctor who will try get you back to normal. You go to a Naturopath/Homeopath, etc when your not happy with your normal, and are willing to take the risks of making your normal worse, for the smaller chance that you'll make it better. Adopting a good diet, sleep, and exercise routine is going to have a lot more benefit for 99% of people.
LOL and this is how these people keep making billions...
Old 07-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #20
sworkhard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
LOL and this is how these people keep making billions...
?????? Who are these people?
sworkhard is offline   Reply With Quote