Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2016, 03:16 PM   #121
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I sold a car a few weeks ago on kijiji and honestly I was vaguely suspicious that the person I was selling it to was gonna do that. Except you wouldn't make much. I had it listed for a grand. At the end of the day I wouldn't really care, as I was just happy to get rid of it, but it makes me wonder how profitable it could be for someone who can fix cars cheaply to scour kijiji for budget deals, fix em up a bit and then sell them for market value.
I've done it a few times. Not very lucrative on cheap cars, I always only ended up making a few hundred dollars but spending a lot of time fixing crap. Not worth it imo, unless you had a lot of specialty tools. Maybe would make sense for someone that had a shop, fixed cars for a living, and fixed and flipped when in their down time when the shop wasn't busy.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 03:28 PM   #122
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I've done it a few times. Not very lucrative on cheap cars, I always only ended up making a few hundred dollars but spending a lot of time fixing crap. Not worth it imo, unless you had a lot of specialty tools. Maybe would make sense for someone that had a shop, fixed cars for a living, and fixed and flipped when in their down time when the shop wasn't busy.
Yeah I actually could see it working if it was one of those little dealerships that aren't affiliated with any major brand. Buy cheap stuff, have the in house mechanic bring it up to speed and then sell it. But I can see how there would be diminishing return on really cheap cars.

Anyway, didn't matter much to my deal as I sold it for a fair price and I have no real reason to think that it is what my buyer was doing. Just something that crossed my mind when I put it on there.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 03:34 PM   #123
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Friend of a friend makes pretty decent money doing it, buys at auction, fix and re-sell. He's semi retired now at 40 and makes the bulk of his income from it. I'd love to do it but don't have the space

Last edited by btimbit; 05-27-2016 at 03:48 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 03:46 PM   #124
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

I used to do that a bit - buy cars at auction, fix em up and sell them. I love going to the auction.

More of a hobby than anything, plus made a few bucks.
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 01:48 AM   #125
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by automaton 3 View Post
I used to do that a bit - buy cars at auction, fix em up and sell them. I love going to the auction.

More of a hobby than anything, plus made a few bucks.
Not much of a living unless you have a dealers license, even then your profit is gone in taxes unless your selling a mega amount. In the 80's I did it, made good $$$ on sports cars but now days the government makes it impossible.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 02:06 AM   #126
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Someone tried that on me, and when they pulled out the full amount I asked for $10 more or else I was leaving. #######s.
I call message board bull####.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:34 AM   #127
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Can I come by today and look at it?
RGMG. Look, I'm not running a showroom here. I expect you to know whether this stroller bag fits your stroller as the model is listed, and I'm sure you have a measuring tape. I'm sure not waiting around on a weekend as nice as this for you to come by at a time of your choosing, only for you to lowball me.

For simple items, Kijiji should be as simple as "here I am, here's your money, thanks"....
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2016, 08:48 PM   #128
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
RGMG. Look, I'm not running a showroom here. I expect you to know whether this stroller bag fits your stroller as the model is listed, and I'm sure you have a measuring tape. I'm sure not waiting around on a weekend as nice as this for you to come by at a time of your choosing, only for you to lowball me.

For simple items, Kijiji should be as simple as "here I am, here's your money, thanks"....
Ha. That has been happening constantly with a roof rack I am trying to sell from my old Subaru. There is a tool online to figure out what roof rack will fit your car. I had to actually just edit my ad and put Thule's "car fit" page on my ad and direct people to check that first. I am sure as hell not going to go and check if it will fit on an Audi or a Honda Odyssey.

I have pictures of precisely what I am selling. I didn't think roof racks were that much of a trouble spot for people.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:59 PM   #129
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post

I always tell people in the email that we can meet but understand the price is take it or leave it at that point. Either buy the item or walk away. No negotiation will be done.

Doesn't mean the odd guy hasn't still tried it. In that case I tell him fine I warned you see you later, and usually he will cave immediately.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:30 AM   #130
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought a pressure washer that worked for about 25 minutes, then stopped.

I sure hope I can fix it or else I'll be so pissed
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:37 AM   #131
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I bought a pressure washer that worked for about 25 minutes, then stopped.

I sure hope I can fix it or else I'll be so pissed

Reminds me of a story. I once got a pressure washer for free from a family friend. Said it wouldn't work.

I spent about 20 minutes diagnosing it, found out he was putting mixed gas in, drained it, refilled with straight gas and it started almost immediately.

He borrows it from me every once in a while now, lol.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:07 AM   #132
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
Reminds me of a story. I once got a pressure washer for free from a family friend. Said it wouldn't work.

I spent about 20 minutes diagnosing it, found out he was putting mixed gas in, drained it, refilled with straight gas and it started almost immediately.

Maybe I enlist your services at some point.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:18 AM   #133
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
Smart man, he got it fixed for free. And hell, he doesn't need to waste space to store it anymore but can still use it any time he wants.
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:18 AM   #134
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's called the "sharing economy"
Old 06-06-2016, 09:42 AM   #135
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I call message board bull####.
Next time I list something on Kijiji feel free to buy it and show up offering les cash.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:58 AM   #136
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, but how can you negotiate the price if the buyer hasn't even seen the thing?

I''m not going to commit to a price on something if I don't know how worn out it is or the condition it's in. When I show up and I don't like what I see, I will walk away or offer less.

If the seller refuses, then the onus is on me to adjust. I don't see a problem at all doing the negotiation in person rather than over text or email.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:29 PM   #137
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, but how can you negotiate the price if the buyer hasn't even seen the thing?

I''m not going to commit to a price on something if I don't know how worn out it is or the condition it's in. When I show up and I don't like what I see, I will walk away or offer less.

If the seller refuses, then the onus is on me to adjust. I don't see a problem at all doing the negotiation in person rather than over text or email.
I include several pictures of the item and am very upfront about any wear and tear issues. I do this to specifically ward off any "Well...lemme see" type enquiries that waste my time. I state the price and there is no negotiation as a result (that's what "firm" is supposed to mean).

Keep in mind these are for simple items - if I were selling a car or something where there are more complex inspection related matters - yes, I understand the need to inspect the items.

Floor mats specific to a particular model of car or a brand specific bag for a stroller - hell no.

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 06-06-2016 at 12:32 PM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
4X4, V
Old 06-06-2016, 12:32 PM   #138
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I've sold a few things this winter/spring on Kijiji as well as bought a few $500 or less items and a truck over the past year. I generally listed for a bit higher than I wanted so they can get the satisfaction of 'wearing me down' and feeling like they got a good deal. When I go to buy an item I pick the price I think is fair and I show up with that exact amount in cash on me. Flip the wallet inside out and say this is what I got, take it or leave it.

Nobody has 'left it' yet. But I also don't low ball, always make a fair offer.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:42 PM   #139
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:

I'm a low-balling dick, I guess. It works every time for me, though, so why wouldn't I?

Say you're selling something for $500. I'll email and say I'll give you $200 cash. Half the time the guy will say 'fine'. So now I've established the starting point is $200 before I've even left my house. I'll show up, and I'll start pointing out the flaws in whatever your thing is. So then I'll say, 'well, I was kind of expecting it to be in better condition' and I'll offer you $100. People will usually take it.

I always here about people bashing on low ballers. I hate them as well when I'm selling, but I just put 'low ballers will be ignored' in the ad. People low ball, though, because it works.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 12:44 PM   #140
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha really? They'll usually take it? When you try to get them to sell it to you for 20% of the asking price?

I usually make someone an offer as I assume, unless you say "firm" in your ad that you're open to offers. But it's never less than about 75% of what they're asking.

I guess what I'm saying is... yeah. You're a low-balling dick.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post: