Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2015, 09:07 AM   #61
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope he signs in April. He should like his chances of cracking the lineup.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:32 PM   #62
Monahan23
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Rafikov looked very good at the WJC. I saw him live a few times and he was by far the best defence-man for Team Russia
Monahan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:57 PM   #63
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
I hope he signs in April. He should like his chances of cracking the lineup.
Calgary's line-up? His chances wouldn't be great he'll will need at least a year or two of AHL seasoning most likely (unless you mean long-term... in which case I agree). Regardless, I wager winter in California with an AHL Salary (+ Signing bonus) in greenbacks would beat playing winter in Yaroslavl on a VHL Salary in Rubles.

Really hope he comes over. I've been nothing but impressed in the (albeit limited) viewings I've had of him.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:42 PM   #64
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It would be huge for the organization if this huge defenseman pans out. Seems to be very reliable in his own zone and has been working on his shot as well. Not to mention it looks like he has a good head on his shoulders.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:11 PM   #65
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Calgary's line-up? His chances wouldn't be great he'll will need at least a year or two of AHL seasoning most likely (unless you mean long-term... in which case I agree). Regardless, I wager winter in California with an AHL Salary (+ Signing bonus) in greenbacks would beat playing winter in Yaroslavl on a VHL Salary in Rubles.

Really hope he comes over. I've been nothing but impressed in the (albeit limited) viewings I've had of him.
Rafikov was in Yarolsavl Lokomotiv's system when they went through that horrible plane crash. Rafikov's first goal is to play a year or two for Lokomotiv first. Looked for the interview just now, but couldn't find it at the moment. He stated Lokomotiv first, then the NHL.

At any rate, Todd Button is happy with Rafikov staying in the VHL/KHL for now anyways, as he needs to get a bit faster and continue developing. If he goes to the AHL, he will most likely have less minutes available to him than he would in Europe. Based on this, I am guessing Rafikov is at least a year out, and probably 2.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:07 PM   #66
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also Dave King is coaching his KHL team and Treliving is happy with that.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2015, 04:11 PM   #67
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

quick update: Rafikov finished the VHL regular season with 1 goal and 17 assists in 35 games. His VHL season then came to an end earlier this month, as his club HK Ryazan lost in the first round of the playoffs. However, Rafikov was his team's top scorer in the playoffs with 3 points (1 goal and 2 assists) in 5 games.

Rafikov was then sent to the MHL, where he is currently playing in the playoffs for Lokomotiv Yaroslavl. The team is one of the best of the league and they have now advanced to the quarterfinals. Although he only played in 3 of their 6 games so far, he's already co-leading the team in scoring there too with 1 goal and 5 assists. Looks like the guy steps up when the games matter

Last edited by devo22; 03-18-2015 at 04:16 PM.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2015, 04:20 PM   #68
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
quick update: Rafikov finished the VHL regular season with 1 goal and 17 assists in 35 games. His VHL season then came to an end earlier this month, as his club HK Ryazan lost in the first round of the playoffs. However, Rafikov was his team's top scorer in the playoffs with 3 points (1 goal and 2 assists) in 5 games.

Rafikov was then sent to the MHL, where he is currently playing in the playoffs for Lokomotiv Yaroslavl. The team is one of the best of the league and they have now advanced to the quarterfinals. Although he only played in 3 of their 6 games so far, he's already co-leading the team in scoring there too with 1 goal and 5 assists. Looks like the guy steps up when the games matter
So he has 6 points in 3 games and they didn't dress him in the other 3?

wtf?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:21 PM   #69
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
So he has 6 points in 3 games and they didn't dress him in the other 3?

wtf?
no, he just missed the first 3 games because he was still playing for Ryazan in the VHL playoffs at that time.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2015, 05:55 PM   #70
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I keep reading all this stuff on the Flames D prospects and I start to think that maybe the Flames, well they're not as poor in the department as initially assumed.

I have high hopes for Rafikov and Hickey.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:01 PM   #71
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I keep reading all this stuff on the Flames D prospects and I start to think that maybe the Flames, well they're not as poor in the department as initially assumed.
People are pessimistic because there aren't any 1st rounders in the mix. But then you look at half the typical Norris candidates - Letang, Subban, Kieth, Weber, Josi, and they're 2nd round draft picks.

Hell, Russell is the highest draft pick in our top 6 and he's a 3rd rounder.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2015, 08:57 PM   #72
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Our D pool is starting to like quite respectable, IMO.

Wotherspoon
Hickey
Kulak
Culkin
Rafikov
Morrison

We're lacking that 'top 2' blue-chip guy, but this is a very respectable group of D prospects. I suppose we do have a 'top 2' youngster in Brodie.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:27 PM   #73
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Our D pool is starting to like quite respectable, IMO.

Wotherspoon
Hickey
Kulak
Culkin
Rafikov
Morrison

We're lacking that 'top 2' blue-chip guy, but this is a very respectable group of D prospects. I suppose we do have a 'top 2' youngster in Brodie.
I am hoping that Kylington somehow falls to Calgary. That would be the that blue chipper that we're lacking.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2015, 10:59 PM   #74
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
I am hoping that Kylington somehow falls to Calgary. That would be the that blue chipper that we're lacking.
As far as our first rounder goes, I hope we snag Brandon Carlo. I was really impressed by his outlet passing. I didn't even know he was like 6'5 until I read his scouting profile. And he's a right D.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 03-20-2015, 11:03 PM   #75
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
As far as our first rounder goes, I hope we snag Brandon Carlo. I was really impressed by his outlet passing. I didn't even know he was like 6'5 until I read his scouting profile. And he's a right D.
I do as well, but usually big D with any skill usually jump in the 8-13 range, so I don't know if he'll be there by the time we get to make our pick. I would probably take Kylington over Carlo if we had a choice because Kylington has a higher skill set even though he's only 6-0.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 12:13 PM   #76
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Agreed. Why is his stock falling so far though? It's a little concerning
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 02:12 PM   #77
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Werenski, Hanifin, and Provorov are definitely better prospects as D. Only reason Kyllington falls all the way to 15-17 is if a lot of teams pick forwards over D. I don't expect Kyllington to be there, but Carlo has a lot of instinctual talent that I think makes him a great pick... He's a player I'd wanna draft even if he were 6'2.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:49 PM   #78
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Agreed. Why is his stock falling so far though? It's a little concerning
Kylington is dropping because he has looked bad in international tournaments and isn't really excelling in Sweden (not bad but not great either).

He has been a disappointment to some who expected great things from after breaking into Sweden's men league at 16.

Some may say he still has high potential and may still take him high but it appears his stock is dropping in the scouting community.

He has gone from consensus 2nd best d-man in the 2015 draft to out of the top 10 to late 1st round in a few lists.

Last edited by sureLoss; 03-22-2015 at 05:52 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2015, 01:01 AM   #79
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Could not agree more. It worries me slightly that his stock has fallen but I also wonder how much of that might be due to other player's stock rising while he's plateaued? Honestly don't know, however I do know he was being talked about as potential top 5 for around 12-18 months ago, in a projected super draft. It's looking like we will end up around 16-18, so he's right in the swing zone.

Others I would like around there are Jeremy Roy, Nicolas Meloche or Brandon Carlo, in that order, but I like Kylington the best. The great thing about this year is that it's been so exciting hockey-wise but we're still going to end up with another great prospect to fawn over with the draft being as deep as it is. Add that to being treated to a totally unexpected 90+ point year in year 2 of a rebuild and, wow, not much else to say.

While McEichel would've been sweet, I'll take this year, playoffs or not, considering we're going to end up with a gem regardless. Great year to be a flames fan, even if we miss I'll still regard this year as top 3 memorable since I've been old enough to to become truly invested as a fan. In this order 1) 1989 2) 2004 3) 2015 Too young to remember 1986...

Last edited by Fire of the Phoenix; 03-25-2015 at 01:02 AM. Reason: I
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:27 AM   #80
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So.. Any update on Rafikov? Is he still playing in the MHL playoffs?
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote