Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 09:29 AM   #1061
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
That seems pretty intentional to me. He knew exactly where Parker was since they were jostling for position and it was pretty much guaranteed that the ball was not dropping to stomach level in any case. He was tracking the ball in the air but when he goes for the kick he is looking directly at Parker's chest.

That was just a sneaky move by Suarez to be able to kick a man in the stomach while claiming it was an "accident" since the ball was in the area.
That seems plausible, but I dont see what Suarez gets out of it. He deserves the criticism though as he's done crazy stuff in the past.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 02-07-2012, 09:35 AM   #1062
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Suarez has had more card-worthy dives than that kick. I agree that it was a yellow: clumsy, poorly timed, kicked an opponent. But I can't see it crossing over into a red: intentional, malicious, violent, etc.

I'm the first to call Suarez a dirty, diving puke, but I think that if the defender hadn't been there, he was on track to hit the ball. But the defender was there, and Suarez got booked.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #1063
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have also noticed that BBC Radio 5 Live (available over the interwebs) has audio commentary for matches that doesn't seem to be blocked online (either for geographic or contractual reasons). Yesterday's Liverpool vs. Tottenham match was one of them, and I was streaming it to my iPhone while driving.

Anfield Cat was perhaps even more fun with only audio to rely on.

Usually the local BBC radio stations (and Absolute Radio) are blocked so the clubs can sell the commentary to subscribers, but it seems that Radio 5 Live has a different arrangement.

Just thought that I'd pass that along for the fellow desk jockeys and paper pushers who might want to listen to a game in the afternoon every now and then.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #1064
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
I have also noticed that BBC Radio 5 Live (available over the interwebs) has audio commentary for matches that doesn't seem to be blocked online (either for geographic or contractual reasons). Yesterday's Liverpool vs. Tottenham match was one of them, and I was streaming it to my iPhone while driving.

Anfield Cat was perhaps even more fun with only audio to rely on.

Usually the local BBC radio stations (and Absolute Radio) are blocked so the clubs can sell the commentary to subscribers, but it seems that Radio 5 Live has a different arrangement.

Just thought that I'd pass that along for the fellow desk jockeys and paper pushers who might want to listen to a game in the afternoon every now and then.
The Tunein Radio app has them as well without geoblocking

I think it might be 1.99 but I have found it worth it for those times at work or in the car when I can't watch the game or get a stream online
Old 02-08-2012, 05:30 AM   #1065
NBC
Account closed at user's request.

Exp:

Yid fans of the world rejoice!

Harry Redknapp cleared of tax evasion

Harry Redknapp has been cleared of evading tax on payments made to his Monaco bank account.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-16925280
Old 02-08-2012, 07:38 AM   #1066
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

part of it never made sense, he has made over 8m and he would try and evade 137,000 of that

whether or not he did it, I am guessing that's what the jury couldn't get by

either way, interesting decision come the summer, he will never manage a better team than he has right now, but he has always said turning down England would be near impossible

but with the FA's track record the England job should be open again in 2-4 years at the max

I am guessing he stays
Old 02-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #1067
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
part of it never made sense, he has made over 8m and he would try and evade 137,000 of that

whether or not he did it, I am guessing that's what the jury couldn't get by

either way, interesting decision come the summer, he will never manage a better team than he has right now, but he has always said turning down England would be near impossible

but with the FA's track record the England job should be open again in 2-4 years at the max

I am guessing he stays
He does like to move clubs every now and again.

The England position is a rough one, it totally depends on how the Euros go. Who else would the FA ask? I dont think they're seriously considering Hodgson anymore.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 02-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #1068
NBC
Account closed at user's request.

Exp:

My only real concern with Redknapp as England supremo is that outside of a couple of promotions the only real thing he's won is a solitary FA Cup. Not sure how much value the old Intertoto Cup is/was, so the FA Cup in '08 stands out as his biggest achievement in management.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:42 AM   #1069
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBC View Post
My only real concern with Redknapp as England supremo is that outside of a couple of promotions the only real thing he's won is a solitary FA Cup. Not sure how much value the old Intertoto Cup is/was, so the FA Cup in '08 stands out as his biggest achievement in management.
Fair enough, but at the same time the options for an English manager arent exactly spoiled for choice. If you want an Englishman in the Dictator's chair your options are limited.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #1070
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Fair enough, but at the same time the options for an English manager arent exactly spoiled for choice. If you want an Englishman in the Dictator's chair your options are limited.
I vote for Ian Holloway! At least his interviews are entertaining. I also don't really care how England fares.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2012, 09:53 AM   #1071
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
I vote for Ian Holloway! At least his interviews are entertaining. I also don't really care how England fares.
That would be awesome, Ian Holloway is great.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #1072
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The Tunein Radio app has them as well without geoblocking

I think it might be 1.99 but I have found it worth it for those times at work or in the car when I can't watch the game or get a stream online
I use tunein radio and its a great app but I've found that they do geoblock all the BBC radio stations when live comms are on. (5 live and local stations). You get a recorded message stating that its blocked etc.

Not sure how you are all getting to listen because I haven't been able to in the past. Perhaps this is a new occurrence.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #1073
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagger View Post
I use tunein radio and its a great app but I've found that they do geoblock all the BBC radio stations when live comms are on. (5 live and local stations). You get a recorded message stating that its blocked etc.

Not sure how you are all getting to listen because I haven't been able to in the past. Perhaps this is a new occurrence.
Yesterday's Blackpool FA Cup match was blocked (for "rights" reasons, even using a UK VPN). The Liverpool-Tottenham game this week was definitely wide open, even without a VPN. And one from the weekend worked, even though I can't remember which one as I didn't listen for long. Perhaps they forgot to block a couple of recent ones?

I'll try and remember to check this weekend to see if it still works.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #1074
vennegoor of hesselink
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The FA confirms that Fabio Capello has resigned as England Manager today

http://www.thefa.com/England/News/2012/080212.aspx

Old 02-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #1075
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

he's gone

finally

fantastic club career, terrible with England
Old 02-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #1076
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vennegoor of hesselink View Post
The FA confirms that Fabio Capello has resigned as England Manager today

http://www.thefa.com/England/News/2012/080212.aspx
Wow! Right before the Euros? Over John Terry? Thats nuts.

Conveniently, Harry Redknapp was acquitted of Tax Evasion, so theres that....

I cant believe he quit. So what now? He did all the work getting England to qualify, is someone going to come in and change everything right before the major tournament?

If my tin foil hat is aligned correctly, I'd almost say that he was trying to get out before disaster strikes.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #1077
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

he's gone

finally

fantastic club career, terrible with England
Its not that hes gone, thats a good thing, its that the timing sucks. His replacement is going to be on the job for 4 months before the Euros.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:01 PM   #1078
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Wow, crazy. I really didn't see that one coming.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #1079
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

we weren't winning the Euro's with him and his failure selections
Old 02-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #1080
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
we weren't winning the Euro's with him and his failure selections
No there was hardly a chance at all with him in charge. Now maybe we will see an infusion of youth into the team.
Closed Thread