Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #21
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

If it's your type of thing, there is a place on David Letterman's website that allows you to sign up for standby tickets to attend a taping. Every person I know that has done this got a call during their stay and got to go. Make sure you give them your cell number, because they usually call the day before the taping.

One thing I did that I would skip next time is taking the Ferry to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis island. It takes up an entire afternoon and wasn't really very cool. Maybe Ellis island would be alright if you had family migrate through there 100 years ago, as they do have all of the old records on display.

Last edited by psicodude; 04-30-2012 at 11:28 AM.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #22
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Broadway - If can afford the tickets - Book of Mormon on Broadway is a must. Amazing.

Food - Shake Shack is delicious for burgers/shakes. A cool place to try out is "Eataly" It's sort of a grocery/food fare for sort of high end Italian in this beautiful old building in the Flatiron District.

Other stuff - there are the specific sites that are a must see like Central Park, The Metropolitan Museum, but mostly the best thing to do is wander the amazing neighbourhoods in Manhattan. Also don't shy away from checking out Brooklyn too.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:47 PM   #23
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quick question for those in the know... We'll be there in June with our 18-month old. How accommodating are some of these establishments as far as infants/high chairs? We are not going to even bother with 7-course tasting menu type places or any of the ones where you need to make a reservation 6 weeks in advance...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #24
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Quick question for those in the know... We'll be there in June with our 18-month old. How accommodating are some of these establishments as far as infants/high chairs? We are not going to even bother with 7-course tasting menu type places or any of the ones where you need to make a reservation 6 weeks in advance...
There's an Olive Garden in Times Square

I would imagine the biggest issue in a lot of these places is space, having enough room to walk between tables is a luxury most places can't afford so adding a high chair is tough. That said they do allow children in NYC, unfortunately, so there are plenty of places that will be able to accommodate you. It's not something I've ever paid attention to though, so I can't really give you any tips on particular restaurants. I'd be stunned if there isn't at least one blog dedicated to this topic though.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:07 PM   #25
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's the weather like mid-May? I'm expecting 18-22 degrees with some flash thunderstorms every once in a while.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #26
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
What's the weather like mid-May? I'm expecting 18-22 degrees with some flash thunderstorms every once in a while.
That's about right. Not a bad idea to have a small umbrella with you, but if you're caught without you'll find dozens of people selling them, at suspiciously inflated prices.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #27
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I hope to return this summer or fall. Would like to buy valo some drinks.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:06 PM   #28
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure if it's open yet for the season, but I'd recommend going to Governors Island if at anytime you're looking to get away from the city without actually getting away from the city for an afternoon. It's a free ferry ride, you can rent bikes to ride around in, plus you'll get a really nice view of Lower Manhattan while you have some beers on a sandy beach.

The Water Taxi is also a great cheapo way to get onto the river and bounce around a few locations.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:13 PM   #29
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unfortunately Governors Island doesn't open until the end of May
Old 04-30-2012, 04:15 PM   #30
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great excuse to extend the trip.

Last edited by Table 5; 04-30-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #31
FlamingC4Life!
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
I'd suggest going to Top of the Rock over the Empire State Building. You can book your time at the rock, so no waiting in stupid long lines with a bunch of mouth breathing Midwesterners.

The elevator also has a glass ceiling (at least it did a few years ago) which really opens the door for a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in joke.

I HIGHLY recommend doing both. HIGHLY. No pun intended.

Top of the Rock lets you see the ESB from a high vantage point. But the ESB can't be beat. Also go up at night, after 10pm there was hardly a line up at all.

And get a CityPass. Best 89 bucks I spent on my trip. The museums are incredible. http://www.citypass.com/new-york

Oh and after exploring the Battery take the Staten Island Ferry. It's free, goes by the Statue of Liberty and takes about an hour round-trip. Also if you can afford it, a helicopter tour. Just not with these guys.

Last edited by FlamingC4Life!; 04-30-2012 at 06:03 PM.
FlamingC4Life! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #32
4thLiner
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Ah ah I had pizza there!
4thLiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:21 PM   #33
4thLiner
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Check out the Seinfeld coffee shop.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:01 PM   #34
FlamingC4Life!
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thLiner View Post
Check out the Seinfeld coffee shop.
You mean Tom's Resturaunt

http://maps.google.ca/maps/place?q=t...93001612410903
Old 04-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #35
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingC4Life! View Post
I HIGHLY recommend doing both. HIGHLY. No pun intended.

Top of the Rock lets you see the ESB from a high vantage point. But the ESB can't be beat. Also go up at night, after 10pm there was hardly a line up at all.

And get a CityPass. Best 89 bucks I spent on my trip. The museums are incredible. http://www.citypass.com/new-york

Oh and after exploring the Battery take the Staten Island Ferry. It's free, goes by the Statue of Liberty and takes about an hour round-trip. Also if you can afford it, a helicopter tour. Just not with these guys.
Yeah, but it also goes to Staten Island, and that's just disgusting.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:29 PM   #36
4thLiner
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingC4Life! View Post
Yep. I couldn't believe I was there. Hilarious.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:11 PM   #37
FlamingC4Life!
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
Yeah, but it also goes to Staten Island, and that's just disgusting.
Well you don't have to step out of the terminal. Would be like changing planes in Detroit, or Edmonton.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #38
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eater just released this list/map of restaurants that are great for visitors.

http://ny.eater.com/archives/2012/05...he_food_at.php

I've been to a few of the places listed and haven't had a bad experience, Keen's in particular is a great throwback style steakhouse.
The Following User Says Thank You to valo403 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #39
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some good choices on that list. The Grand Central Oyster bar is a fantastic place to go... it was a favorite of my wife and I. Such a beautiful setting, and really good seafood (will taste especially good to Albertans used to mediocre seafood). It's a little hidden gem too, since most tourists seem to totally miss it, and just head straight for the cafeteria.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:43 PM   #40
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
I highly recommend Carmine's near Times Square, very family friendly and fantastic food. Everything comes in portions large enough to share, try the porterhouse, my mouth waters just thinking of it.

oilyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oilyfan For This Useful Post: