Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2024, 11:17 AM   #81
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Problem I see with Lindstrom is he seems to have tunnel vision and his compete isn't great away from the offensive zone, I think he'll end up as a middle 6 winger similar to a Anthony Mantha or if as a center a Kevin Hayes type that needs a slick winger to be successful.

He should be a good player but this team needs a skilled line driver, I just don't see that in Lindstrom
Lindstrom's skating is terrible. Really choppy and short stride, and generally awkward looking. Doesn't have the elite edgework to compensate for his poor mechanics.

His skating reminds me a lot of Michael Dal Colle and Keiffer Bellows, although his raw speed is better than Bellows at the same age.

If the Flames are picking 8-10, Lindstrom seems like too much of a project to waste such a high pick on.
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boogerz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2024, 11:21 AM   #82
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogerz View Post
Lindstrom's skating is terrible. Really choppy and short stride, and generally awkward looking. Doesn't have the elite edgework to compensate for his poor mechanics.

His skating reminds me a lot of Michael Dal Colle and Keiffer Bellows, although his raw speed is better than Bellows at the same age.

If the Flames are picking 8-10, Lindstrom seems like too much of a project to waste such a high pick on.
I have read some prospect reviews of him saying that his size gives him a big advantage in junior and he isn’t as good as his production suggests.
Old 03-30-2024, 11:28 AM   #83
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I am a firm believer that you should build through the middle. And even if you don't think you get a "franchise" center at ~10, I think you still ideally shoot for a center.
That also sounds like a recipe to end up with Zacha instead of Rantanen or Meier.

I think you need top line players in general. If all things are equal, then take the centre, but if not, take the BPA.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 03-30-2024 at 02:30 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 11:41 AM   #84
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah, no idea why all the scouts can't see how ####ty he is.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 11:42 AM   #85
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I think Lindstrom is gone waaaay before the Flames pick in any case.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2024, 11:44 AM   #86
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

The problem with the "if all things are equal, take the C" argument is that all things are not equal... Cs are more valuable. This is why at any given ranking point, the winger is a better player than the C, because if the C was as good, he would be ranked higher!

Cs come at a premium - at some point, you have to pay up. And the Flames have NOTHING under the age of 30.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 11:50 AM   #87
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Yeah, no idea why all the scouts can't see how ####ty he is.
Waste was a harsh term, but there is a reason why his latest rankings are anywhere from 3rd OA to 15th OA. There's too many question marks about him

The Flames need to focus on BPA overall, not BPA at a specific position.
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 12:16 PM   #88
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
The problem with the "if all things are equal, take the C" argument is that all things are not equal... Cs are more valuable. This is why at any given ranking point, the winger is a better player than the C, because if the C was as good, he would be ranked higher!

Cs come at a premium - at some point, you have to pay up. And the Flames have NOTHING under the age of 30.
A 1st line center is worth more than a 1st line winger, but a 1st line winger is more valuable than a 2nd line center, in my opinion.
Old 03-30-2024, 12:39 PM   #89
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
You think he’s a top 5 pick?
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 12:45 PM   #90
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
You think he’s a top 5 pick?
If a big center has promise, he’s always looked at. Dubois jumped up for the same reason. Could see Montreal going for him. Maybe even Arizona, Columbus, or Chicago. I personally prefer Catton or Demidov after Celebrini.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 12:58 PM   #91
CF84
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There seem to be many "1st line centers" available in the mind of fans, but if the scouts have any doubts about hockey sense and intelligence about certain players, I hope they stay far away even if they do fall to us. I don't know enough about the hockey sense of any of the top draftable centers, but I'm sure the scouting staff and people like Sandman have a well informed opinion. Hockey sense/intelligence is just something that can't easily be taught.

I'd pick a smart winger over a "#1" center or defenseman with questionable hockey sense any day. That's how you end up with Yakupov or Nurse.

I'm sure there will be one or two #1 centers in this draft, but if they aren't available, I hope they aren't chosen simply because they are a good center. Pick the best available player weather they are a potential #1C, #1D, or the potential best winger on a team.

Tij Iginla could be the best available player where the Flames pick, and if the team feels that way, please choose him.
CF84 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CF84 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2024, 01:01 PM   #92
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
If a big center has promise, he’s always looked at. Dubois jumped up for the same reason. Could see Montreal going for him. Maybe even Arizona, Columbus, or Chicago. I personally prefer Catton or Demidov after Celebrini.
Lindstrom is not a player I would reach for. I would take him if he’s BPA, but I certainly wouldn’t take him over Catton, and probably not Iginla either.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2024, 01:08 PM   #93
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF84 View Post
There seem to be many "1st line centers" available in the mind of fans, but if the scouts have any doubts about hockey sense and intelligence about certain players, I hope they stay far away even if they do fall to us. I don't know enough about the hockey sense of any of the top draftable centers, but I'm sure the scouting staff and people like Sandman have a well informed opinion. Hockey sense/intelligence is just something that can't easily be taught.

I'd pick a smart winger over a "#1" center or defenseman with questionable hockey sense any day. That's how you end up with Yakupov or Nurse.
And if you look at most drafts, it’s really hard to get 1st line centers outside of the top 5 or 6. But it’s not that uncommon to get 1st line wingers or a top pairing defenseman outside of the top 5 within the top 20.

A team like the Flames that has holes pretty much everywhere shouldn’t be too picky. You need top end talent period to build a winner. If we already had blue chips prospects at wing or defence, then I can see reaching for a center, but right now there is too much to do to be that picky.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 03-30-2024 at 01:11 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 02:28 PM   #94
Ba'alzamon
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
A 1st line center is worth more than a 1st line winger, but a 1st line winger is more valuable than a 2nd line center, in my opinion.
Strongly disagree. Only the very best wingers are more valuable than a #2 C. The very best. Average players at both positions the center is much more valuable.

The valuation only shifts in favor of the winger when he's a in the upper echelon of players at his position, and even then the advantage probably isn't as radical as you would imagine.
Ba'alzamon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 02:29 PM   #95
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Centers go early, the list of top 10 centers from 15-18 taken between picks 3-10 are below (11 out of a possible 32 picks)

Dylan Strome
Panel Zacha
Dubois
Jost
Cody Glass
Lias Anderson
Casey Middlestadt
Elias Pettersson
Michael Rasmussen
Kotkaniemi
Barrett Hayton

A few of those guys hit.

Dmen seem to go later but the dmen picked outside of 1 and 2 in those drafts were

Quinn Hughes
Adam Boqvist
Evan Bouchard
Miro Heiskenen
Cale Makar
Oli Juloevi
Michael Sergachev
Hanifin
Ivan Provorov
Zach Werenski

Two busts in that group but a lot of absolute studs on the backend. If you draft a dman top 10 you are probably getting a centerpiece (pardon the pun) for your organization. The centers have a lot more busts, but at least one stud in Pettersson, a couple good 2nd line centers and then a sprinkling of busts and third/4th line centres.

Last edited by Aarongavey; 03-30-2024 at 02:31 PM.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2024, 04:14 PM   #96
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Is this a serious post? Lindstrom is an excellent skater, and if you can’t see that, then I have no idea what to say to you. He can flat out fly. We can debate other parts of his game, but this one is pretty obvious…
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2024, 04:17 PM   #97
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The same thing was said about Scheifele, that is who he is closer to imo coming out of his draft year.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 04:22 PM   #98
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Something I've been thinking about... Let's say we win the first pick, and SJ picks second...

How good is Celebrini? Good enough to trade the first overall pick plus our pick from VAN to SJS for Eklund and the second overall?

If so, is there a way we can convert the 2nd overall into both Iginla and Yakemchuk?

Obviously I'm living in a complete dream world here, but walking away from the draft with Eklund, Iggy and Yakemchuk seems better than drafting Celebrini... Or is it?

Edit: I don't actually know how good Celebrini is/isn't. I've stayed away from watching him since there's been no point all season long... but as we drop lower and lower, there's a bigger chance it can happen. All I know about the guy is the hype, so forgive me if he's a Gretzky or Crosby or something like that.

Last edited by FanIn80; 03-30-2024 at 04:26 PM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2024, 04:24 PM   #99
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Something I've been thinking about... Let's say we win the first pick, and SJ picks second...

How good is Celebrini? Good enough to trade the first overall pick plus our pick from VAN to SJS for Eklund and the second overall?

If so, is there a way we can convert the 2nd overall into both Iginla and Yakemchuk?

Obviously I'm living in a complete dream world here, but walking away from the draft with Eklund, Iggy and Yakemchuk seems better than drafting Celebrini... Or is it?
You draft Celebrini.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2024, 04:35 PM   #100
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd way rather have a Jonathan Toews comparable center than two wingers and a D man. way way rather that.

#1 centers don't grow on trees and you gotta take em when you can get em.