Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2014, 10:10 AM   #1
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Draisaitl, Bennett the next Staal, Toews?

I found another article!

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/d...t-staal-toews/

Quote:
Superficially, the differences between Leon Draisaitl and Sam Bennett are far less obvious than the similarities.

The third- and fourth-overall picks, respectively, in the 2014 NHL Draft, Draisaitl and Bennett are both high-scoring centres out of major junior. Last season, Draisaitl put up 1.64 points per game in the WHL. He is generally described as heady playmaker with an exceptional ability to both gain and keep the puck. Bennett, who put up 1.60 points per game in the OHL, is also a highly-skilled passer who is strong on the puck. Both are even bound for remarkably similar destinations: the former to a rebuilding Oilers team in northern Alberta, the latter to a rebuilding Flames team in southern Alberta.
The GMs of those two teams, however, could not be further apart in their voiced public opinions on the players. “In my mind, I think that he’s going to make a very strong case [to make the team],” Edmonton’s Craig MacTavish said of Draisaitl late last week. “If this decision is easy, he’s staying. I don’t think he’s going to come in and not make a case for himself—I’d be shocked.”
Quote:
In Calgary, where 2013 sixth overall pick Sean Monahan made the jump from junior a year ago, the situation at the same position is a little more crowded. Monahan had a reasonably successful rookie season, and the team also has a trio of other serviceable—if not overpowering—options (Matt Stajan, Mikael Backlund and Joe Colborne) to play minutes at centre. That is perhaps why Flames G.M. Brad Treliving did his best to shoot down the notion that Bennett would be joining Calgary out of camp. “There are a lot of guys who can play in the league,” Treliving told Sportsnet’s Mark Spector. “But [the real questions are] can you help the team, and is it good for you? I would be shocked [if Bennett sticks]. He will have to come in here and show beyond a shadow of a doubt that, not only is he ready to be here, but this is what’s best for him.”
Quote:
But it isn’t just the teams’ relative health at centre that is driving the difference in outlook between these two GMs; there are other factors that make Draisaitl a more appealing NHL option in 2014-15 than Bennett. Allan Mitchell, of the Oilers blog Lowetide, notes that not only is there an age difference of 237 days between the two players but Draisaitl has an inch and 26 pounds on Bennett. Those advantages translate to an immediate lead in terms of NHL readiness, so it wouldn’t be surprising if Draisaitl ends up making the Oilers while Bennett goes back to junior. But that would not indicate that Draisaitl has a massive lead on Bennett as a prospect.

A really good example of why is a comparison between two highly drafted centres a few years back. Jordan Staal, the second-overall pick in 2006, was listed at six-foot-four, 215 lbs.; pretty close to the six-foot-four, 220 lbs. he’s listed at these days. Staal was young relative to the rest of his draft class, but he was already incredibly mature physically, and he graduated to the Pittsburgh Penguins immediately. The player picked one slot later, Jonathan Toews, was a different story. At six-foot-one, 180 lbs. he was nearly 30 lbs. lighter than his eventual NHL playing weight. Chicago made the decision to give him an extra year in college to develop.
Quote:
But by the same measure, if Draisaitl excels for the Oilers while Bennett is cut by the Flames, it won’t mean that Edmonton’s centre is a better player or a more promising prospect than Calgary’s, just like Staal’s early success didn’t make him superior to Toews. All it will mean is that two prospects at different points in their physical development drew disparate responses from a pair of distinct NHL teams. For players this age, the important thing isn’t how quickly they make the leap to the majors, but ultimately how good they are in their prime. Identifying who’s superior is going to take time, and it won’t be determined solely by the choices Alberta’s teams make this fall.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2014, 10:13 AM   #2
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Christ

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to YYC in LAX For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2014, 10:17 AM   #3
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get giddy when I think about Bennett and what he can be. I still can't believe we got the 1st rated player by CSS in the 4th spot. I can't wait to see where some of these players will be in three years!
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:20 AM   #4
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

No.

Yes.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:25 AM   #5
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

To be honest, before the draft I was hoping that it would be Draisaitl that would fall to us. I am very happy we landed Bennett though. The long term projection for both prospects seems to be equally as good.

While Edmonton has a history of rushing prospects, it seemed to be fairly unanimous before the draft that Draisaitl was one of the prospects that was closer to being NHL ready, so it shouldn't be a surprise if he makes the NHL sooner. The Flames are certainly in no rush.

It does seem like over the past few years, the number of NHL ready prospects has increased, so I think fan expectations are starting to become more inflated (I recall some people harping on Drouin last season for being sent back to junior). Personally, I still assume that any freshly drafted prospect, no matter how high they are drafted, should be assumed to not be NHL ready that year.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:26 AM   #6
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I get giddy when I think about Bennett and what he can be. I still can't believe we got the 1st rated player by CSS in the 4th spot. I can't wait to see where some of these players will be in three years!
Staal was rated higher than Toews by the CSS.

Turris was rated higher than Kane by the CSS.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2014, 10:29 AM   #7
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

ummm.... k.

that being said, if 5 years from now, the conclusion is that draisatl is trending to the equivalent of j. staal, and bennet trending towards toews, high fives all around folks!
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2014, 10:29 AM   #8
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draisaitl's going to be thrown into the fire this year whether he's ready or not and it will be interesting to see how he fares. I think they will ultimately regret passing on Bennett but time will tell.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:33 AM   #9
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

just to add, it speaks volumes on how the organizations have handled their rebuilds.

the oilers are treating their shiny new toy as a shoe-in to be on the opening day roster, and would be "shocked" if he isn't there.

Whereas, the flames are treating it the exact opposite, in that they are putting the onus on the prospect to shock them into having to make the decision to keep them on the big club.

even monhan last season, he wasn't a shoe in, there was never any kind of general understanding that monahan was going to make the team, but he had a strong pre-season and the decision came in basically at the deadline to do so, even then, i remember feeling it could have gone either way.

oilers suck.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2014, 10:33 AM   #10
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draisaitl will probably score 40-45 points, and the Oilers will think he is the savior.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:03 AM   #11
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I don't see the benefit of telling your prospect he is a lock to make the team. He will either A) not try as hard and appear sloppy because he is over confident or B) crumble under the pressure.

Never change MacT.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:10 AM   #12
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

1.60 PPG and 118 PIM

That kind of production and tenacity makes Bennett stand out when compared to the other centres picked in the top 4 imo.
Two Fivenagame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:18 AM   #13
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I don't see the benefit of telling your prospect he is a lock to make the team. He will either A) not try as hard and appear sloppy because he is over confident or B) crumble under the pressure.

Never change MacT.
While this is true, I don't see the benefit of saying "I'll be shocked if he makes the team" either. Even if that's what you think, I don't see the benefit in wording it that way. Something a little more neutral would be best.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:20 AM   #14
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post

Never change MacT.
This.

Terrible situation they've created through arrogance and the need to be the talk of the town and on the front of the Edmonton Sun.

If he sputters it's a disappointment that they can't deny.

If Bennett sputters they didn't expect him to make the team.
If Bennett surprises they get to be excited and shocked about how much better he was then expected.

Silly.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:35 AM   #15
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

By saying "I'll be shocked if he makes the team" it's taking any pressure off of him, may give him more reasonable expectations of himself, may make him play more inspired. The one clear message it's sending is that this rebuild will take time and management is ok with taking time to get better.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:40 AM   #16
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Making the Edmonton Oilers isnt that hard. They are No Good.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2014, 11:44 AM   #17
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

That was a characteristic of the Feaster regime that I found irksome - hyping of the young players in the organization. In a conversation I had with Craig Button very recently, he said that one of the most important lessons he learned in Dallas (from Mike Modano in fact) was just how damaging high expectations can be on the mental aspect of a young player's development.

Enter Brian Burke and all of a sudden everything is "I'm not sure what kind of player we have in Bartschi" and "players can't spend too much time in the AHL" and "Johnny is really small, even tiny".
Two Fivenagame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Two Fivenagame For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2014, 11:44 AM   #18
fatso
First Line Centre

Exp:

Damn... "Monahan had a reasonably successful rookie season...". Seriously? Must be getting paid by the word.

The great CP is in dire need of prunes!
"That's because the productive part of society is adverse to giving up all their wealth so you libs can conduct your social experiments. Experience tells us your a bunch of snake oil salesman...Sucks to be you.
" ~Calgaryborn 12/06/09 keeping it really stupid!
fatso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatso For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2014, 11:54 AM   #19
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatso View Post
Damn... "Monahan had a reasonably successful rookie season...". Seriously? Must be getting paid by the word.
Monahan was the 8th highest scoring rookie..... that is reasonably good.... He was not in contention to being a Calder finalist.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ricardodw For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2014, 11:57 AM   #20
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Staal was rated higher than Toews by the CSS.

Turris was rated higher than Kane by the CSS.
More times than not I think they get it right considering they are dealing with 17-18 year olds. Besides they were already wrong recently with Yakipov so we are in the clear
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote