Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-22-2012, 10:26 AM   #61
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
A garden is one thing. An ugly hippy painted-tire potato patch is different altogether. She took an eyesore of a vacant lot (which is totally unacceptable IMO) and replaced it with an even more ######ed version of itself. Using old tires in your garden is fine if you're white trash, but you can't tell me old painted tires beautify anything. I'm used to seeing old tires strewn about in the worst places in Africa and Alabama, not Calgary.
At least with empty land, it's just dirt and weeds. Now it just looks like some squatters set up shop on the vacant lot and turned it into a ghetto shanty town. She should add some burning oil drums at night to really tie it all in.

If I was an area resident, I'd be choked at looking at such an eyesore.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2012, 10:32 AM   #62
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

At first I was really confused about why someone would kick up a stink about someone starting planting potatoes on their land. It mean chances are they would maintain the lot in a reasonable manner and even if they abandoned the plants there they probably would save them in costs.

Then I saw the god awful eye sore tires, and realized I would be pissed if I had that in my community as well. A garden is one thing, a psychedelic hippy infused tire-fest is something else entirely.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:41 AM   #63
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

The one thing that has not been mentioned is this is trespassing and possibly property damage. They owner could press charges if they wanted.
No matter how bad the lot looks you cannot go onto it and do what you want. The most you can do is call by-law and let them deal with it. They said that the owner has been not paying the fines already but that is between the city and the owner. A person in the neighborhood has no right to trespass and do what they want.
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #64
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
. I'm used to seeing old tires strewn about in the worst places in Africa and Alabama.
interesting choices.

If she was interested in putting the land to use, why not run a search, find out the owner, and ask to use the land.....oh wait hippies, nevermind.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #65
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

The much simpler approach would have been to talk to the owner and say I will quit making bylaw complaints against you for a derelict lot if you let me plant potatoes there and I will clean up my potato garden when you want to develop.

It would be win win for everyone. Instead it sounds like she has been very adversarial with the lot owner and didnt work with them.

Instead of tires and paint she could have at least rented a rototiller and brought in some top soil and made the whole lot into a nice garden instead of a tire pile.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #66
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only thing that matters is this:
Quote:
@lonnietaylor I did speak to neighbours and call JM's office beforehand. Spoke to at least 40 people yesterday who loved the idea. .
If one of those 40 people wasn't the bloody property owner themselves then it doesn't matter.

Anyone defending this is basically saying that a property owner has no right to be consulted prior to their land being used, regardless of the 'benefit'. If someone is so concerned about an ugly vacant lot in their neighbourhood, offer to buy it from the owner. Then you can put coloured tires, a potato garden, and a booth selling fairy dust for all I care.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #67
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

There was a famous case in Los Angeles in 2006 mirroring these same circumstances.

About 300 families were using property that didn't belong to them for community gardening.

The new owner evicted them to build a warehouse. I believe the landowner ultimately won his right to claim use of his land but as of last year had yet to build his warehouse and the land was vacant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Central_Farm

Cowperson
Old 05-22-2012, 01:44 PM   #68
Tailgator
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I think John Mar's the most useless alderman we have (except maybe Gord Lowe), but having said that, I don't think the woman should be allowed to just set up shop with her potato garden on someone else's property. I don't really care how noble it was, if she's allowed to do it, it sets a bad precedent for everyone else. If they ok her in doing her ugly tire farm (and it is hella ugly, so I don't know how it "beautifies" anything), then that means it's ok for other people to do their own interpretation on other vacant lots.
I like what you're saying, but Druh Farrell will forever hold the title of Most Useless Alderthing.
Tailgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #69
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgator View Post
I like what you're saying, but Druh Farrell will forever hold the title of Most Useless Alderthing.

you probably are right, but she got this right:

http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/05/21...lgary-alderman
Old 05-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #70
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

as a guerilla gardener myself, i avoid areas where this type of conflict seems inevitable. i don't do vacant inner city lots or anything like that. i go out of my way to find a place where virtually nobody will see or notice it.

i give full marks for trying to make a difference, but she was way too 'out there' about it. if i were to use that same lot, there would be no tires or anything. i would have just planted my stuff and left it alone until time to harvest.

as for john mar, his little man syndrome seems to be impairing his judgement on what is the best way to use our city resources. his comments towards the use of community gardens is out to lunch. if he had any knowledge of the demand for, and lack of, community garden space, he might have a better handle on the issue that lead to this type of guerilla gardener.

moncton golden flames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:57 PM   #71
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncton golden flames View Post
as a marijuna grower myself, i avoid areas where this type of conflict seems inevitable. I don't do vacant inner city lots or anything like that. I go out of my way to find a place where virtually nobody will see or notice it.

I give full marks for trying to make a difference, but she was way too 'out there' about it. If i were to use that same lot, there would be no tires or anything. I would have just planted my stuff and left it alone until time to harvest.

As for john mar, his little man syndrome seems to be impairing his judgement on what is the best way to use our city resources. His comments towards the use of community gardens is out to lunch. If he had any knowledge of the demand for, and lack of, community garden space, he might have a better handle on the issue that lead to this type of guerilla gardener.
fyi
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2012, 01:59 PM   #72
trumpethead
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

btw, this derelict lot is near the corner of 17th ave and 17th st SW if any of you are wondering
trumpethead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trumpethead For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #73
Tailgator
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
you probably are right, but she got this right:

http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/05/21...lgary-alderman

Even a broken clock is right twice a day......
Old 05-22-2012, 02:02 PM   #74
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgator View Post
Even a broken clock is right twice a day......
don't disagree, but people are quick to pile on, and often don't give credit when it's due.

But I agree with your assessment of her.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:07 PM   #75
Tailgator
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
don't disagree, but people are quick to pile on, and often don't give credit when it's due.

But I agree with your assessment of her.
I don't disagree with you either, but trying to say she's right about anything makes me throw up in my mouth a little....
The Following User Says Thank You to Tailgator For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #76
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Allow me to also add DCU as a nominee for current worst alderman. For me it is a tie between her and Mar, mainly due to their grandstanding and fence-sitting (more so in Mar's case).
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #77
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
fyi
fyi.... broad beans and peas.

moncton golden flames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:28 PM   #78
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The much simpler approach would have been to talk to the owner and say I will quit making bylaw complaints against you for a derelict lot if you let me plant potatoes there and I will clean up my potato garden when you want to develop.

It would be win win for everyone. Instead it sounds like she has been very adversarial with the lot owner and didnt work with them.
You'd think that Mar also should have looked for such a win-win solution before bringing in the cavalry. Random hippie probably doesn't know better, but an Alderman should be solution-oriented.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #79
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mar's an idiot because all he's doing is alienating part of his riding. These people are going to vote vehemently against him next election. But having seen Mar in action in city hall debates, I doubt the guy actually had the brain capacity to think it through rationally before going to the cops.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #80
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncton golden flames View Post
as a guerilla gardener myself, i avoid areas where this type of conflict seems inevitable. i don't do vacant inner city lots or anything like that. i go out of my way to find a place where virtually nobody will see or notice it.

i give full marks for trying to make a difference, but she was way too 'out there' about it. if i were to use that same lot, there would be no tires or anything. i would have just planted my stuff and left it alone until time to harvest.

as for john mar, his little man syndrome seems to be impairing his judgement on what is the best way to use our city resources. his comments towards the use of community gardens is out to lunch. if he had any knowledge of the demand for, and lack of, community garden space, he might have a better handle on the issue that lead to this type of guerilla gardener.

That's the other thing that gets me about this stunt, they claim they wanted to be "low key and fly under the radar" while their actions indicate the exact opposite. Bright paint, a big banner, random claims about the food bank. Heck she probably could have left the tires unpainted, banked em up next to the fence and gone unnoticed for weeks.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote