Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #201
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't believe how happy I am. Not only did we win a trade, but the Oilers are getting worse if thats even possible.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #202
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah...this is a good trade for us.

Flames dealt from a position of organizational depth and addressed an organizational weakness...and they bought low. Smid helps us now, and going forward. Can't complain - especially because we were going to need to go UFA shopping to get a D-man next year anyways...this is a much cheaper price than overpaying someone in the summer.

He gives us the depth to continue to develop d-men at the AHL level.
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #203
MyFlamesFirst
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This came out of left field. I'm not sure what I think of this trade yet. However, both prospects gone are over shadowed by higher quality prospects in our system. Still seems odd to me. I thought were trying to be bad for better picks and not finish 10th. I looked at Gio and GlenX injured as a gift from the hockey gods, as if they are forcing us to draft higher.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #204
lifetimefan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Remember all those wacky, desperation trades Darryl did trying to save his job just before he got fired?
Yeah, cya KLowe.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:22 PM   #205
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That's two guys Feaster brought in that I've totally disliked as blueliners, Russell now Smid. Smid tends to bring a toughness but it's usually an after the whistle toughness. The Flames are really hot huge fans of Horak though. Horak is tough to place, jack of all trades master of non type of player, I hope he finds a spot with Edmonton though, good player, always liked him.

The goalie thing just seems like a pure toss up, dufas-for-dufas. Broissoit is okay but Gillies is probably going to be the guy for Calgary.

Flames probably win this deal, a fringe maybe NHL'er for an NHL'er always wins, even if I'm not a huge fan of the NHL player.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:22 PM   #206
HelloHockeyFans
n00b!

Exp:

Grain of salt - Aaron Ward saying Bryz to Oilers is done...?
Old 11-08-2013, 05:22 PM   #207
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the only times I can remember a hockey trade (players for players) and say with confidence that Calgary won the trade.

Smid is a quality defenseman that will be here for the next 3 and hopefully more years. Big win
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2013, 05:22 PM   #208
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimefan View Post
Remember all those wacky, desperation trades Darryl did trying to save his job just before he got fired?
Yeah, cya KLowe.
The main different is that Lowe isn't going anywhere.

Good times.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:23 PM   #209
TheDebaser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
I haven't freuqented on the forums during the summer, but this is an absolute fleecing by the Flames.

This trade has me on the brink of seperating my fandom from this team.

Smid is pretty much all you can ask from a heart and soul, tough defenseman. He isn't very mobile, but you just got gift-wrapped a a character guy like say a Ference in his prime for nothing.

The fact that MacT and Lowe have not only the balls to trade him within our division, but to the arch-rival is just treacherous and downright disgraceful. It's been rough, but this has to be the lowest of the lows for Oilers fans.

Congrats on receiving a player who plays with heart on his sleeve.
Well at least now all the of the Oilers will be on the same page!
Old 11-08-2013, 05:23 PM   #210
lifetimefan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertuzzied View Post
Makes no sense. They should have tried to unload Hemsky first.
Maybe they did try and no one was willing to take him. Not at that price, anyway.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:24 PM   #211
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is nothing about this trade to dislike. Horak found himself the odd man out in a world with Monahan, Colborne, Knight, Backlund, Reinhart, etc. Organizationally, he's been passed by. He goes to a team where he's similarly far down on the depth chart with all the small skilled centers the Oilers have. And he's not skilled enough to usurp either RNH or Gagner.

Brossoit is a 6th round pick, and we have Gilles. I'd argue that Olivier Roy isn't a huge step back from LB, since Roy actually made the WJHC team when he had the chance.

Smid is a legit top 4 defenseman. He's young and under contract at a decent hit for what he brings. The Oilers got weaker.

This is the sort of 'winning a trade walking away' we hoped for when Burke was brought on board.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:24 PM   #212
BlackWallStreet
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Dude I don't know how I feel about this one..
Old 11-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #213
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
That's two guys Feaster brought in that I've totally disliked as blueliners, Russell now Smid. Smid tends to bring a toughness but it's usually an after the whistle toughness. The Flames are really hot huge fans of Horak though. Horak is tough to place, jack of all trades master of non type of player, I hope he finds a spot with Edmonton though, good player, always liked him.

The goalie thing just seems like a pure toss up, dufas-for-dufas. Broissoit is okay but Gillies is probably going to be the guy for Calgary.

Flames probably win this deal, a fringe maybe NHL'er for an NHL'er always wins, even if I'm not a huge fan of the NHL player.
Horak was starting to remind me a lot of Dustin Boyd. You wanted to like him, and he tried his best, but could never seem to shed that 'tweener' tag. Smid addresses a major glaring need on the Flames' blueline.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #214
Red John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKB View Post
Maybe I should of worded it differently for you then. Anytime Smid was talked about on CP most people would say how terrible he was. Does this make you feel better?
Can see where you are going with this, trying to find a way to slip a jab in at Flames fans.

Swing and a miss. CP has plenty of hate on for Justin Schultz, also recall a post saying Smid's face was very punchable...but can't remember any specific hating on him. He was never a polarizing guy - just your typical No. 4 defenseman.

Move makes sense for the Flames even as a rebuilding team, it's a good value move getting a marginal top-4 guy for a career 3rd liner/AHL type. They can always flip Smid down the road if they so choose. In the meantime he'll help with Giordano gone.

But what on earth is Edmonton thinking? Worst defense in the NHL...trade probably your most solid d-man...for magic beans....to overpay a goalie no other team wants....to play behind an even worse defense.

Also why do the Oilers still pay scouts? They only go after Oil Kings players anyway.

The jokes write themselves when it comes to the Oilers.
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?
Old 11-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #215
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edmonton's defense now.... yikes.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #216
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Now that the cap space is cleared, it's the perfect time for Bryz to pull a Nylander and sign elsewhere.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DionTheDman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #217
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe Brossoit has won more playoff games at Rexall than any of the Oilers goalies have won regular season games.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:27 PM   #218
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love this trade. Ladislav Smid is the only player outside of some of the uber kids that I would've liked on the Flames.

We have about 15 prospects that are = or better than Horak so it's not a big deal. It does suck losing Brossoit, but Roy isn't a big step down.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Old 11-08-2013, 05:27 PM   #219
LIP MAN
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Risky moving Brossoit, but the team is obviously high on Gillies. Not exactly the type of player I was expecting back; it's not as if Smid can't play. On this team he's a top 3-4 dman. Like a previous poster stated, makes sense considering where our depth is placed. Horak will be a good fit for the Oil, IMHO. They lack a lot of forwards of his ilk.

Probably unlikely, but will Smid be dressing tonight?
Old 11-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #220
Samiz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We had a logjam at center anyways. I wish we didn't have to part with Brossoit but you have to think that he was the most important player in this trade for the Oilers.
Closed Thread