Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2014, 04:34 AM   #561
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

1 week before I had to leave for Korea we had to put our fur baby down. Its December and I still grieve. She was the best pet Ive ever had and I doubt I will ever forget her, she was one of the family, if not the head of the household.
I know Ill get another pet when I get back, but it wont be the same. She was truly loved by everyone.
I still cry and will for a while.

Last edited by Cheese; 12-04-2014 at 04:36 AM.
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2014, 05:39 AM   #562
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry for your loss.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 07:10 AM   #563
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

So sorry to hear this PIMking . Of course she wasn't just a cat, she was part of your family. My sympathy to you.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:27 AM   #564
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sorry for your loss PIMking and Cheese. Like others have said, I hate it when I see this thread bumped.

Last edited by Igster; 12-04-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Igster For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2014, 12:43 PM   #565
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry for the loss. It always rips our guts out when we lose our companion animals.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:19 PM   #566
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

man I didn't sleep well at all, I am so depressed right now and I am still in shock.
PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PIMking For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2014, 02:50 PM   #567
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel I let her down... I feel that I unnecessarily made her suffer...
Old 12-04-2014, 02:56 PM   #568
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
Don't think that way at all. You have her a safe home and happy life for more than a decade.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2014, 03:03 PM   #569
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I felt the same way as well. I'm pretty sure it's a normal feeling. It will get better, trust me. I still miss Igster every day and I know it will take some time for that to fade a bit, but I'll never forget him. As I'm sure you'll never forget Porsche.

Feel better.
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Igster For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2014, 03:11 PM   #570
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spoiler!

Last edited by PIMking; 12-05-2014 at 09:34 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PIMking For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2014, 05:33 PM   #571
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks guys you've been really helpful. Some people down here seem to think that pets are not family members especially cats.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:55 PM   #572
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm really sorry as well.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:29 PM   #573
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

You are experiencing normal feelings...wondering if you could have done more...wondering if there was something you should have noticed but missed. Time is a great healer.

And don't listen to those who say or think pets are not family members. They have probably never experienced what pets contribute to our lives. She was with you for 13 years and that makes her a family member period.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2014, 06:35 PM   #574
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I can't believe how much this is killing me. 13years ago when I got her
Sorry PIM.

Cats are absolutely family. It's so hard letting them go.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:09 PM   #575
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

PIMKing, she was a lovely looking little one. Was she always a shoulder kitty? My cat always loves getting up on my shoulders. There is nothing sweeter than holding a purring little cat. Take solace knowing that you gave that cat an amazing life full of love and she couldn't have been with a better person.

Cheese, your cat looks strikingly similar to my cat. What was her name?
ben voyonsdonc is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben voyonsdonc For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2014, 02:35 AM   #576
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
PIMKing, she was a lovely looking little one. Was she always a shoulder kitty? My cat always loves getting up on my shoulders. There is nothing sweeter than holding a purring little cat. Take solace knowing that you gave that cat an amazing life full of love and she couldn't have been with a better person.

Patches...our daughter named her when she was young. Fit her well. Damn Im tearing up thinking about her by just responding.
I dont think I had time to fully grieve her loss before going overseas...kills me.
I had come back from a trip and she seemed "off". I knew her so well. Took her to the vets and she suggested she had liver disease and there wasnt much she could do. I didnt want to believe that and raced her to the best pet hospital in Ontario, at U of Guelph. In the end they couldnt help her either, but it gave us a few extra days to be with her. Im the same as PIM...blame myself for not seeing "something" earlier. We so wanted her to be with us for 20+ years.

damn
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2014, 08:39 PM   #577
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
Patches...our daughter named her when she was young. Fit her well. Damn Im tearing up thinking about her by just responding.
I dont think I had time to fully grieve her loss before going overseas...kills me.
I had come back from a trip and she seemed "off". I knew her so well. Took her to the vets and she suggested she had liver disease and there wasnt much she could do. I didnt want to believe that and raced her to the best pet hospital in Ontario, at U of Guelph. In the end they couldnt help her either, but it gave us a few extra days to be with her. Im the same as PIM...blame myself for not seeing "something" earlier. We so wanted her to be with us for 20+ years.

damn
Needless to say, she's a beautiful cat. It is so tough when it is so sudden. It is never easy to see a loved one go but at least if you knew that they were sick for a long time, it helps prepare you a little bit for the loss.
The Following User Says Thank You to ben voyonsdonc For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2014, 09:36 PM   #578
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post

Well we got her from the farmer when she was too young and I had to bottle feed her for a little while so I think I was "mom" and she was attached to me all the time. Slept with me until about 3 years ago when my allergy meds didn't help me enough at night and we had to lock her out. But yes, she was a shoulder kittne
Old 12-11-2014, 04:04 PM   #579
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a 15 year old cat who I've had for 13 years. I know he's been getting older and from the moment I saw this thread being bumped periodically, have dreaded the thought of posting here.

A week ago, he started behaving differently. Was lazier than normal, hid/slept in the basement from time to time, abnormally bad breath, noticeably became skinnier to the point where I could feel more spine when petting him, and his eyes just looked off. He looked sad. Like he was ready to give up.

We thought and were hoping that this was the result of us bringing a new cat into the house 2 weeks ago, and that he'd come around...but we were wrong.

Today my wife took him to the vet and they confirmed the worst: Kidney Disease.
I lost a cat 25 years ago to the same thing. I know it's fatal, and he'll die soon, but not much more about it. Any insight would be awesome.

The vet did some under skin hydration, and gave him some appetite enhancers and something for his stomach. Mentioned that he could last a week, but they would play it by ear and my wife can/should bring him back for more hydration when needed.

Here's where I'm in a clusterfata of mixed emotions...
I just left town yesterday for a week of work. I won't be back until Thursday night. I gave my wife some instructions that if he's hurting, I was/am ok with him being put down, but would much rather the vet do whatever they can (hydration, pain killers, etc) to hold off until I get back, providing he isn't suffering. I get back Thursday night and would be ok with putting him down on Friday.

I just really want to be there to say goodbye. Is that unreasonably selfish of me?

I hate everything about this, and even more so because I'm so far away and cannot return for a week.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JonDuke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2014, 11:00 PM   #580
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post
I just really want to be there to say goodbye. Is that unreasonably selfish of me?
I don't think it is selfish. There have been several people in this thread have said how it just felt right to be with their pet as it went to sleep. Your pet has been loyal to you and you want to be loyal to them as they go through this.

Pets are really members of our family and you have the right to want to be there to say goodbye to him. You are definitely trying to keep him from suffering for this week and have given your family permission to do what needs to be done if he suffers.

My heart is with you. Being away and worrying that your cat might pass on before you see him again must be making doing productive work pretty tough. I don't know what line of work you do but is there any chance you can shorten your trip?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ben voyonsdonc For This Useful Post: