Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #441
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

So about 2.5 months ago we noticed a small bump on the side of Neuman's nose... didn't really think much of it, figured he tried to chomp on a wasp and that was the end result. About a week after that it wasn't going away and was starting to get bigger, we went to the vet and they figured it was a bug bite that must have gotten infected somehow and prescribed us antibiotics.

Well the antibiotics didn't work and the lump on the side of his snout was just getting bigger so we had a biopsy done.... we found out that Neuman had a grade 3 mast cell tumor.... because of the size and location surgery wasn't really an option at the time and he would have had to go through chemo, then surgery, and then probably radiation treatment after that. I just couldn't do that to my dog.

We tried totally changing his diet around and plenty of supplements and chinese herbs that would turn him into a cancer fighting machine... unfortunately he passed away this past Saturday, not even 2.5 months after we first noticed the bump he was gone... he wasn't even 6 years old yet. Not even 6 bloody years... that's what I'm having trouble dealing with. I mean "old" for most giant breeds is 8 or 9, but with how well he was taken care of, we figured we'd at least make that. It's just such a complete random kick in the balls and I can't stop going over what could have possibly created such a nasty soul crushing tumor. Five and a half year old happy/healthy dog to gone in just over 2.5 months.

I just feel completely hollow/numb and don't sleep very well lately... I hope all of you guys never have to go through cancer with your pets. Watching your pets health/personality slowly degenerate while you're trying everything to save them is emotionally and physically exhausting... the last 3 months have been the hardest of my life.

Rest in Peace Neuman... I miss you buddy.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Old Yeller For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2013, 02:02 PM   #442
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

That sucks, sorry to hear.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:04 PM   #443
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post

Rest in Peace Neuman... I miss you buddy.

Really sorry to hear Old Yeller. My deepest sympathies. Rest in Peace Neuman.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #444
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sorry to hear, Old Yeller... my heart goes out to you. What a great looking dog he was.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #445
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Sorry to hear man. RIP Neuman.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:24 PM   #446
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Very handsome pooch, sorry for your loss.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #447
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Sorry for your loss Old Yeller. Neuman looks like a great dog. I know it will be hard, but don't look at it as you lost him to early, but that you got to spend an awesome 6 years together.

RIP
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #448
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reading that heartfelt post, you just know that Neuman had a great life and was well loved throughout.

RIP
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #449
TheGrimm
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Sorry to hear about Neuman..

He sounds like he was a pretty amazing dog and as others have said it's definitely important to focus on the good memories and not on the last few months.
It's been a 4 months now since we lost our dog and we've been getting pretty weak about getting another, but reading stuff like this just reminds me how fragile life can be at times.
TheGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #450
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Man, so sorry for your loss. We lost one of our dogs to cancer too, and it does suck. I really feel for you.

Beautiful dog.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #451
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I'm really sorry to hear about it.

We had a close call with our little guy (cat) last night. He got into something toxic, still not sure what. Neighbors are known to go nuts with rodent/and/wasp poisons.

He was in really bad shape but luckily looks like he'll be coming home tonight. He's only 7 and I was really hoping he'd turn out to be one of those cranky old 20 year old cats mad about children playing on his lawn. Hopefully he'll still do it. Contemplating the possible outcomes all last night sure made me dread for when the time does come, hopefully many, many years to come.

cat_lives--;

while(cat_lives > 0)
{
scratch_furniture(livingroom_chair);
swat_bugs(moths);
puke_up_grass();
}
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:43 PM   #452
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Especially as the owner of an elderly pet, I get a little sick whenever I see this thread bumped. Sorry to hear, man. Good looking dog.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:44 PM   #453
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

RIP peace Neuman
Old 08-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #454
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks guys... it's strangely cathartic posting about this here.

Glad your cat's alright hulkrogan, "contemplating the possible outcomes" good gawd do I know that feeling.

If any of you have any questions feel free to use me as a resource and shoot me a PM. Anti-cancer (or preventative) Diets/Vitamins/Supplements/Chinese Herbs have been my life for the past 3 months.

I hate this thread and avoided reading it for years... but I appreciate this thread.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Yeller For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #455
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Cancer sucks all around. My dog Max has had cancer (had it cut out in various spots), but it appears to be back and he is having a hard time lately. He is 12 though, so he's had a pretty good life, but it's tough watching him right now, try to get through it. I fear we may be putting him down pretty soon unfortunately. It's quite an awful thought, but I don't want the poor guy to suffer anymore.
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:00 PM   #456
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry to hear that, Old Yeller. May your friend RIP
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:40 AM   #457
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

So sorry you lost your friend.

Orson is 8 1/2 now and although the vet tells us "he's in great shape for a dog his age", we know the decline could start at any time.

We were in the Kimberley area and he was like his owner. He forgot he's not as young as he used to be and he was stiff and sore for a few days after running up and down some hills.

Cripes I get misty-eyed at the thought of losing him.

longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to longsuffering For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2013, 02:32 PM   #458
Kerplunk
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Cancer sucks. My family lost our first dog when he was around the age of 4 to lymphoma. Still traumatized by the images of his heart giving out while I was petting him....
Kerplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:13 AM   #459
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm house and dog sitting for my parents while they're away in Europe. Our family beagle is now having issues with his back leg, he can't walk up the stairs anymore. I don't know what to do. I hve to carry him up which I'm happy to do; I love the dog. But my dad is 70 and my mom is 63 and I can't expect her to carry around a 30 pound beagle.

I feel like if he can't make any progress and get up the stairs again before they're back I have to make a decision. He's 12 and had a good life but shakes when he sleeps, is blind and diabetic and has cushings disease. This is becomin an ordeal because he isn't suffering up until now but he may be in pain now. Argh.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #460
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannigans Law View Post
I feel like if he can't make any progress and get up the stairs again before they're back I have to make a decision.
I think that decision should be up to your parents. At the very least they should have a chance to say good-bye.

When my parents' dog had to be put down they waited for their vet to get back from vacation so she could be put down in their house; in front of the big window that she had spent the last 15 years watching the world go by. She also got to go to sleep in my dad's arms.

I would like to think that when my dog's time comes, he would also want me to be with him at the end.

[/stupid onions]
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post: