Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-10-2016, 02:47 AM   #41
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Who gets the next captaincy. Probably a vet that gets brought in on an AHL deal. But my vote goes to Bollig.
Try voting for someone that will actually be in the AHL
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:17 PM   #42
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
Try voting for someone that will actually be in the AHL
I was half kidding. Which means I was also half serious.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:00 PM   #43
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
I was half kidding. Which means I was also half serious.
I'd say it was half witted.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:25 PM   #44
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
I'd say it was half witted.
Why? Cmon where's your sense of humour

Last edited by Samonadreau; 07-10-2016 at 03:29 PM.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:17 PM   #45
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stockton Heat ‏@AHLHeat 14m14 minutes ago
The first player to ever sign with the #AHLHeat has a new home, as @louickmarcotte signs with the @Wichita_Thunder. http://bit.ly/29Mh22l

Was more of an ECHLer. Like Deblouw, he signed in Wichita.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:15 PM   #46
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

AHL schedule released:

http://stocktonheat.com/news/heat-an...ason-schedule/
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2016, 08:25 AM   #47
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Of note for anyone who might go take in the Flames California road trip on November 3, 5 and 6 - Stockton is playing a home game on the 4th, about an hour's drive from San Jose.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:15 PM   #48
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Of note for anyone who might go take in the Flames California road trip on November 3, 5 and 6 - Stockton is playing a home game on the 4th, about an hour's drive from San Jose.
to add to this the Heat also play on the 5th (at the same time as the Flames), both games are against the Gulls and last year the games between the Gulls & Heat were some of the best of the year.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:12 AM   #49
druetetective
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I am still not a big fan of how repetitive the schedule is. That cant be great for development.

Imagine the Flames played the Canucks, Oilers and Coyotes 12 times each while only having 8 games against teams in the Central and NONE against teams out east! Do you think Monahan, Gaudreau and Bennett would have developed as good as they have?

Im glad they play Tucson 8 times though, they should have a good team.

What are your guys thoughts on the issue?

Last edited by druetetective; 08-29-2016 at 10:14 AM.
druetetective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:06 PM   #50
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by druetetective View Post
I am still not a big fan of how repetitive the schedule is. That cant be great for development.

Imagine the Flames played the Canucks, Oilers and Coyotes 12 times each while only having 8 games against teams in the Central and NONE against teams out east! Do you think Monahan, Gaudreau and Bennett would have developed as good as they have?

Im glad they play Tucson 8 times though, they should have a good team.

What are your guys thoughts on the issue?
Your position might have more merit if Stockton didn't just finish 2nd last in the Pacific division.

It is hard to complain about the quality of competition of the Pacific Division when the other teams in the Pacific Division are proving to be better than Stockton when it counts.

Yes, we have a small sample size of one season and yes, most Flames fans would agree the prospect base of the Flames should be better than some of these teams on paper. But until they prove it on the ice and consistently beat those other teams, I think it is a non issue at the moment.

The competitive balance should also get better with time. Las Vegas is expected to put their AHL affiliate in the pacific division. Canucks are speculated to move their affiliate out west at some point too.

Anyways, lets see how this season goes.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2016, 11:20 PM   #51
druetetective
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I don't think team success is necessarily the ultimate measuring stick in this situation. I mean
a team like Ontario can sign 4 UFA defencemen and a goalie and win the division due to having older depth.

I think playing against as many elite players as possible throughout the season would be the ideal situation. Think Nylander and Rantanen. We get the Goldobins, Kempes And G. Reinharts of the league.

Anaheim has a good system but Van, Edm, L.A and S.J are the absolute bottom of the barrel prospect wise- Especially at the AHL level.

Anyways realistically I'm not that concerned about it. The elite prospects will rise to the top regardless. Just something to discuss in August.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:59 AM   #52
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Yes I understand your perspective. Keep in mind even if they had a more diverse schedule there is no guarantee that they would face elite prospects as call ups make it more likely those elite prospects. Even if the AHL schedule was more like the NHL schedule, that would be only 2 games against the Marlies and maybe have Nylander in the lineup. (BTW, Stockton did face Rantanen 5 times last season)

My point is that Stockton isn't that a great a team (at least it wasn't that way last year) that every other team still provides important development opportunities.

This is how badly San Jose dominated Stockton last season:

4-1 SJ W
4-3 Heat SOW
5-3 SJ W
5-4 SJ W
5-1 SJ W
4-3 SJ OTW
6-5 SJ OTW
4-1 SJ W
7-1 SJ W
4-1 SJ W
5-4 Heat W
6-0 SJ W

Out of the 24 possible points they could get from Stockton they got 21. Outscored Stockton 57 to 30.

Flames prospects should still be getting valuable development out of playing teams like San Jose even if they are missing the elite prospects. They need to learn how to step up and keep up their consistency against teams that seem to have their number. These kind of lessons could be just as valuable as facing an elite prospect for a couple of games.

Like I said we can revisit this if Stockton is thoroughly beating up teams like San Jose and Flames prospects are just padding their stats against them.

Last edited by sureLoss; 08-30-2016 at 10:03 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2016, 10:30 AM   #53
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

San Jose might not have elite prospects but they had a handful of NHL capable guys (like Goodrow) and some really good AHL players (like Lerg) and some good prospects (like Mueller & Goldobin). They also had fantastic goaltending from Aaron Dell. IMO facing a team that is as well rounded as the Barracuda were will do much more for their development than facing the odd elite prospect.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:49 PM   #54
druetetective
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Good points.
Also the best prospects are not always the best players. Age plays a factor I.E Kylington.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:40 AM   #55
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Good points.
Also the best prospects are not always the best players. Age plays a factor I.E Kylington.
Not to mention so called elite prospects rarely play in the AHL for long, with the exception of goaltenders.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:47 AM   #56
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

What we are seeing with the AHL is essentially a return to the 80s-90s scenario where there were two top level minor leagues (then the AHL and the IHL), each with between 8-16 teams. One in the east, the other in the west. In terms of development, this model is largely how minor league hockey and baseball have operated for a century. I doubt our prospects will suffer for having played most of their schedule against the same five opponents.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2016, 03:33 PM   #57
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think team success is necessarily the ultimate measuring stick in this situation. I mean
a team like Ontario can sign 4 UFA defencemen and a goalie and win the division due to having older depth.

I think playing against as many elite players as possible throughout the season would be the ideal situation. Think Nylander and Rantanen. We get the Goldobins, Kempes And G. Reinharts of the league.

Anaheim has a good system but Van, Edm, L.A and S.J are the absolute bottom of the barrel prospect wise- Especially at the AHL level.

Anyways realistically I'm not that concerned about it. The elite prospects will rise to the top regardless. Just something to discuss in August.
Actually I disagree with your entire position.

Playing the same five, six or seven teams over and over means more chance to look at mistakes in video against certain players and keep improving on those weaknesses without "forgetting" them. Learning to hone in on opponent tendancies rather than just guesswork. Remember what Regehr once said, when he moved to the Sabres he had to learn the tendencies of every new eastern opponent he faced, something he had a pretty good book on for western opponents. At a micro level, this is a method of development for a kid like Kylington.

I also didn't think the Pacific had any legitimate bottom feeders. As an rookie, Poirier seemed to rack up the points against a few terrible teams (Iowa and Rochester come to mind) but as a Sophomore Poirier struggled more consistently. That is only good for his development because he doesn't get "break" games. Every opponent played tight checking hockey except for the Oilers farm team, but they got strong goaltending out of Brossoit. Poirier's stats might have gotten worse but he was playing more of a professional game resembling a Mike Cammalleri type than a Nail Yakupov type because he had to adapt.

I do however think playing the same 5-7 teams makes cross-division stat comparisions meaningless.

Last edited by GranteedEV; 08-31-2016 at 03:35 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:17 AM   #58
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

In regards to Poirier, it seemed to me that he was trying to pass the puck alot more this year too and make better use of his linemates. His numbers may have dipped, but I would actually call the season a success for him because he started utilizing his linemates more which was a big problem with his game.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:48 AM   #59
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I suppose one concern with playing the same team so many times is that you start focusing on matchups. Learning about other teams tendencies is maybe not a big factor in player development and could be misleading. As pointed out, it also makes comparing against stats from other teams less meaningful. Which shouldn't matter in development but does when assessing trade value etc.

I do wish they played more games as getting used to the grind of a long regular season has to be an important learning for some of these guys. But people that know much more about hockey than me seem to be fine with it.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:24 PM   #60
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Which shouldn't matter in development but does when assessing trade value etc.
Only for fans. Pro scouts are employed for that very reason because NHL clubs know that more than stats matter.