Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-04-2017, 01:01 PM   #5741
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Ultimately the Oilers can put a lot of this on Kevin Lowe.

He had the 17th pick in the 2003 draft. He traded down to 23 and received additional picks to do so. You could say he passed on a chance to take Getzlaf....he than declined to take Kesler.

Later that year when it was time to trade hold out Mike Comrie he demanded that Comrie and Winters kick in 2 million dollars to the Oilers so he could trade him to Anaheim for a package of Corey Perry and a first round pick. According to Lowe it wasn't enough so Comrie's camp needed to pay him off.

They than proceded to give Andrew Cogliano to the Ducks.

In short Lowe first declined a chance to take Getzlaf, than deferred on Kesler to go after Marc-Andre chicken boy (a guy who got destroyed in the top prospects game and actually was experienced at losing at that point in time). Later on he said no to Cory Perry instead taking Jeff Woywitka.

Kevin Lowe is a gift that keeps on giving. Admittedly many passed on these guys...but Lowe is a bit more direct in doing so.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2017, 01:08 PM   #5742
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I've been in Edmonton all week and the fans are bitter today. Nobody is talking about anything except how the refs screwed them over last night. I just politely smile and nod.

If I never see another Oilers car/truck flag it will be too soon. I'm making this post from the hotel restaurant and the wifi password is 'gooilers'. Hurts every time I have to enter that.

E=NG
Name of hotel and restaurant?
Old 05-04-2017, 01:28 PM   #5743
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Eclipse restaurant at Holiday Inn Airport. Come on by!
Old 05-04-2017, 01:31 PM   #5744
Bezer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsAnOutrage View Post
McDavid and the Oilers to follow the Sweet Smell of Success back to Anaheim, Series tied 2-2

Having picked up the scent of playoff success, the Edmonton Oilers’ top dog, Connor McDavid (1g, 0a, 0pts, +1), led the hunt for a 3-1 series lead in game four of the Western Conference Semi-Final against the Anaheim Ducks. Despite delivering 110% blood, sweat, and tears, the well-oiled score-machine nevertheless watched as his team fell into a funk as the game wore on and the Ducks tied the series at 2 games a piece with a 4-3 win in overtime.

Realizing that the past two home games in Edmonton had been no bed of roses for his team, Oilers’ forward Jordan Eberle (0g, 0a, 0pts, -1) was brief in a post-game interview, offering a sharp, on-the-nose summary of the game. “Connor gave it his all out there, but aside from that, we stunk tonight,” When asked what the team could do to rally around their effervescent captain, Eberle gave a wink and added, “We have a few good luck traditions that remind us that we are all part of the same team. Like a bunch of us all wear the same cologne. Here, smell.”

While descriptions of the fragrance proved elusive for many, in an official statement from cosmetics behemoth L’Oreal, it was confirmed that the scent consisted of a base of 1985's FiFi award-winning men's fragrance of the year, Drakkar Noir, with a little “je ne sais quoi” added to give it a modern, northern hockey distinction.

So popular was the derivative fragrance, “Dakkar Oiloir No. 97” (for him and her) that Oilers' Season Ticket Holders and Huddled Concourse Masses alike queued up in lines as long as 25 minutes all around Rogers Place just for the sweet relief of finally letting go with their own, personal bottle. While piqued about missing parts of the game fans had little option as the powerful and highly sought-after elixir is available only in Edmonton's Ice District during Oilers’ home games.

Also getting in on the action and, positively oozing savoir-faire, was Oilers’ Assistant General Manager and fragrant man about town, Keith Gretzky, who was eager to weigh in on what the fragrance had done for team spirit in the locker room. “The guys love this stuff! They know it’s theirs and they make it theirs!” beamed Gretzky. “How can I describe it? It has all of the traditional top notes you love from Drakkar Noir; the bergamot, the rosemary, the lavender; but underneath it is a certain heady, steamy aroma that reminds you of the streets of Edmonton surrounding Rogers Place itself. It is the smell of playoff excitement in Edmonton!”

When asked of his thoughts on Drakkar Oiloir No. 97, former Oilers’ 2005 first round pick turned Anaheim Duck, Andrew Cogliano (0g, 0a, 0pts, -1), declined even the politest whiff. Stated Cogliano, “They’ve been working on something like this for about a decade now and I can tell you, once it gets on you, it takes a long, long time to wash off.”

While the cloud enveloping the Oilers’ team bus as it departed for Edmonton International Airport after the game left no doubt that Oilers players approved of the aroma, inside sources revealed that the fragrance had been the cause of a little consternation as Oilers’ players David Desharnais, Benoit Pouliot, and back-up goaltender Laurent Brossoit simply could not agree on how to pronounce “Oiloir.”

Wow you are definitely in second round form, that was a thing of beauty... well done sir.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:47 PM   #5745
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post

He had the 17th pick in the 2003 draft. He traded down to 23 and received additional picks to do so. You could say he passed on a chance to take Getzlaf....he than declined to take Kesler.

Later that year when it was time to trade hold out Mike Comrie he demanded that Comrie and Winters kick in 2 million dollars to the Oilers so he could trade him to Anaheim for a package of Corey Perry and a first round pick. According to Lowe it wasn't enough so Comrie's camp needed to pay him off.

In short Lowe first declined a chance to take Getzlaf, than deferred on Kesler to go after Marc-Andre chicken boy (a guy who got destroyed in the top prospects game and actually was experienced at losing at that point in time). Later on he said no to Cory Perry instead taking Jeff Woywitka.

Kevin Lowe is a gift that keeps on giving. Admittedly many passed on these guys...but Lowe is a bit more direct in doing so.
You can put a lot of things on Kevin Lowe, trading down in the draft not as much. The Corey Perry and a first round draft pick in exchange for Comrie was such a fumble that I can't help but shake my head as to how he stayed employed. Not only did he make a much worse trade, but the damage to Edmonton's reputation as a team was cemented by holding a player hostage before allowing for a trade to go through. Why would a player choose to go to a team that treated their players like that.

He proved himself to be a petty, self righteous, and foolish manager whose reign of ineptitude was only saved by a lottery ball. The one thing that I don't like about a lot of Edmonton fans was that they act as if it was all sort of a master plan, the walking in the desert of the lottery picks for longer than the Jews in the desert.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mean Mr. Mustard For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2017, 01:54 PM   #5746
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
You can put a lot of things on Kevin Lowe, trading down in the draft not as much. The Corey Perry and a first round draft pick in exchange for Comrie was such a fumble that I can't help but shake my head as to how he stayed employed. Not only did he make a much worse trade, but the damage to Edmonton's reputation as a team was cemented by holding a player hostage before allowing for a trade to go through. Why would a player choose to go to a team that treated their players like that.

He proved himself to be a petty, self righteous, and foolish manager whose reign of ineptitude was only saved by a lottery ball. The one thing that I don't like about a lot of Edmonton fans was that they act as if it was all sort of a master plan, the walking in the desert of the lottery picks for longer than the Jews in the desert.
That single lottery ball changed so much for that organization. If it doesn't come up McDavid then there is no way they make the front office changes they did. What would have been interesting is to see what would have happened the following year. The Oilers for sure would have been in on the Matthews sweepstakes. It would be interesting to see if he would have stayed in Europe if the Oilers won and were still a blundering mess lead by Lowe and MacTavish.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:56 PM   #5747
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezer View Post

Wow urine second round form, that was a thing of beauty... well done sir.
fyp
The Following User Says Thank You to psyang For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2017, 02:07 PM   #5748
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

And yet doing all those things (plus more!) essentially got them McDavid.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:11 PM   #5749
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
Yeap. Was all part of the master plan they've had brewing since 1991. The plan really kicked into gear right around 2007 though.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2017, 02:14 PM   #5750
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I've been in Edmonton all week and the fans are bitter today. Nobody is talking about anything except how the refs screwed them over last night. I just politely smile and nod.

If I never see another Oilers car/truck flag it will be too soon. I'm making this post from the hotel restaurant and the wifi password is 'gooilers'. Hurts every time I have to enter that.

E=NG
Get out. GET OUT WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!!
Old 05-04-2017, 02:21 PM   #5751
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
That single lottery ball changed so much for that organization. If it doesn't come up McDavid then there is no way they make the front office changes they did. What would have been interesting is to see what would have happened the following year. The Oilers for sure would have been in on the Matthews sweepstakes. It would be interesting to see if he would have stayed in Europe if the Oilers won and were still a blundering mess lead by Lowe and MacTavish.
Matthews would never have stayed in Europe, there would be no financial incentive to do so. He would likely have been traded by the Oilers or given the NHL the best young 1-2 punch up the middle, second only to Crosby-Malkin. I really think that holding Comrie hostage was the low point of the Oilers franchise and it showed Lowe for the sniveling manager that he was, crying because the franchise had to paid an agreed upon bonus to a player who wasn't going to play for them anymore. Worse than that, they were getting a fantastic deal for Comrie who would spend the rest of his career as a second line player on non-playoff teams being regularly traded for scraps. He was forced to trade a player with value, was offered great value, and somehow found a way to trade him for nothing.

I think that the bashing of the city (and citizens) itself gets to be pretty childish and rarely funny but the NHL team deserves all of the criticisms that get thrown its way. I have lived up in Edmonton and the city of Calgary is a nicer city, but Edmonton isn't much different all things considered and I say that having lived in both cities for an extended period of time.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:23 PM   #5752
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutter_in_law View Post
dude, just eat the data overage bill, it's worth it
Just burn down the Hotel. It's worth it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2017, 02:30 PM   #5753
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw this gem on Twitter;

Seeing #Oilers fans/media whine about the refs make me happy. Cause I saw a lot of these meme's in our Rd 1 match against the Ducks #karma

Spoiler!
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2017, 02:47 PM   #5754
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Also never forget that in Oiler revisionist draft history the drafted player is also developed by the organization that actually selected him. If the Oilers would have drafted Getzlaf, or Kane, & traded for Perry. Perry would have been the next Robbie Schrempf & Getzlaf the next Pavel Brenda. Patty Kane... he might be in prison.

Their ability to develop is completely dependent on the player being an NHL player before he sees any NHL action.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:56 PM   #5755
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I hate the message this sends. The things I love the most about sport are honor, integrity, hard work and respect.

Oilers exemplify none of those traits. They arrogantly sucked their way to even this point. My hope is the hockey God's punish them at every turn, but hey Pronger is a champion and Iggy isn't so I doubt it.
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2017, 03:20 PM   #5756
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
I hate the message this sends. The things I love the most about sport are honor, integrity, hard work and respect.

Oilers exemplify none of those traits. They arrogantly sucked their way to even this point. My hope is the hockey God's punish them at every turn, but hey Pronger is a champion and Iggy isn't so I doubt it.
I love Pronger. He's the catalyst for the Oilers ten year tailspin. Him pulling the plug on the Oilers destroyed any goodwill they had from the 2006 playoff run and confirmed to the rest of the league that Edmonton was no good and a place not to be. If anything the Flames should have his Oiler jersey hanging in the Saddledome rafters.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2017, 03:33 PM   #5757
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck-Hater View Post
While listening to the fan960 morning show today several Oiler fans were texting in complaining that they don't talk enough about the Oilers. Don't these Orange Crush clowns have their own radio station? Its funny how they expect CALGARY FLAMES RADIO to gush about their team. E=NG. Also it was great listening to Boomer and Warrener trolling Oiler fans.
Haven't listened to them since the series started but I'm usually a daily listener. Just got home, grabbed a beer, came out back to soak up some sun and am gonna fire up today's show right now. Haha I can't wait, I already have a big dumb smile on my face thinking about all the Oilers beaks I'm in for

Last edited by Sainters7; 05-04-2017 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:58 PM   #5758
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
The conspiracy theorist in me thinks Uncle Gary gifted them this for raking over the local tax payers on the arena deal. Mr Katz got a deal that Gary liked, and he rewarded him.

By no means should anyone take this as fact. It's not illegal for me to be crazy and think crap like this is real.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:57 PM   #5759
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The conspiracy theorist in me thinks Uncle Gary gifted them this for raking over the local tax payers on the arena deal. Mr Katz got a deal that Gary liked, and he rewarded him.

By no means should anyone take this as fact. It's not illegal for me to be crazy and think crap like this is real.
Wasn't the City of Pittsburgh dragging their feet on a new arena until they won the Crosby lottery too? Then suddenly it went forward after that?

Maybe our turn is soon. Are there any generational talents coming up?
Old 05-04-2017, 06:35 PM   #5760
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don't think the league wanted the Oilers anywhere near McDavid. Twenty nine GM's were fuming after that lottery. I absolutely do believe the league handed them a soft schedule for the opening of their building though. What a cupcake schedule they received getting all those tired teams on the second night of back to backs and you can't tell me the Saddledome or Rogers Arena in Vancouver are booked that much that the only way the league could make it work was to give the Oilers the 2nd game of most back to back games played in the NW.
Closed Thread