Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2017, 11:57 AM   #121
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post

Now that she's over 2, she NEEDS to watch her shows (yes, we're bad parents that let her watch shows.... boo hiss) and so having her own iPad is almost becoming a necessity. RIDICULOUS for a 2 year old, but I guess she sees us using them.
No way man, iPad is dynamite. My 2 year old loves watching Youtube Kids -- basically everything on it is educational to some degree too. He already knows all his letters and numbers and more words then I can count, a lot of it attributed to iPad time. Don't let judgey "anti-screen time" parents drag you down, it's 2017.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:19 PM   #122
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
Went to PLC at 2am for weird wife feelings at 36 weeks, turns out water broke, contractions coming. Wife had a bit of a cold so a cough must have spurred baby to come out early. Was a slow night and they let us stay. Wife wanted to go "natural" without drugs, so she pushed and pushed and pushed for 6-8 hours and baby got stuck so we had "emergency" c-section. Baby was over 6lbs and long, healthy. Had to stay because of c-section and baby wouldn't do breastfeeding so got a bit of jaundice and had to go under the lights. Once we got on formula, we were home, was about 3 days. I stayed overnight with them all nights, as we sprung for the "semi-private" room, but I could not sleep in the chairs so I was sleeping at home in the afternoons while the new grandma helped my wife. I returned and took the overnight/morning shift for a few days. Everything worked out in the end, but I have NEVER driven so carefully as I did when I took mom and baby home for the first time (nevermind it was -30 and icy, I still was even more overcautious! Probably went 60 on the deerfoot even if it was bare)
Just so you'll be jealous.....We had our baby at PLC on March 30th. After birth they took us to our private room. As soon as my wife got in the bed and theybrought the baby in a brand new reclining chair came through the door. I hit the jackpot in terms of it was upgrade the chairs day at PLC. It still wasn't extremely comfy but I am sure it felt way better than whatever chair they rolled out was.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:28 PM   #123
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
No way man, iPad is dynamite. My 2 year old loves watching Youtube Kids -- basically everything on it is educational to some degree too. He already knows all his letters and numbers and more words then I can count, a lot of it attributed to iPad time. Don't let judgey "anti-screen time" parents drag you down, it's 2017.
I'll second that. Education apps and videos have been a big step up for my 2 kids. My daughter is in grade 2 and reads at a grade 6 level. My 4 year old already knows the alphabet and how to write each letter. She is working on reading by herself now too.

When your kids are in school there is always an app the teacher will use for home reading or other subjects to a kid having their own tablet will help.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:57 PM   #124
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I've been trying to figure out what to get my wife for Mothers day, she is due almost exactly one month from the day, but that baby box looks pretty neat.

Which one did you go with?

We graduated from baby college last night, I have seen things man.. things there are no coming back from.. I am sure it will be more 'magical' when it is my own though.
Nova Scotia, PEI, and Newfoundland & Labrador offer free baby boxes if you complete a certificate through Baby Box University (takes about 15 minutes).

The free box here comes with:
  • The baby box itself
  • Mattress
  • Washable mattress cover
  • a onsie
  • a package of newborn diapers (Pampers)
  • a travel package of wipes
  • a toy ring thingy
  • baby soap, shampoo, and moisturizer
  • coupons

I don't know if Alberta has a similar program.

That likely doesn't help much, but we keep the box in the living room and his bassinet in the bedroom, makes life so much easier. We also bring the box when visiting grandparents.

I don't know if $100-$200 is cost effective (didn't realize they were that expensive). I'd do a google search to see if there are any other baby box providers that come in a bit cheaper.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2017, 01:15 PM   #125
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Re Diapers: Pampers for boys, Huggies for girls. YMMV.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:32 PM   #126
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
Nova Scotia, PEI, and Newfoundland & Labrador offer free baby boxes if you complete a certificate through Baby Box University (takes about 15 minutes).

The free box here comes with:
  • The baby box itself
  • Mattress
  • Washable mattress cover
  • a onsie
  • a package of newborn diapers (Pampers)
  • a travel package of wipes
  • a toy ring thingy
  • baby soap, shampoo, and moisturizer
  • coupons

I don't know if Alberta has a similar program.

That likely doesn't help much, but we keep the box in the living room and his bassinet in the bedroom, makes life so much easier. We also bring the box when visiting grandparents.

I don't know if $100-$200 is cost effective (didn't realize they were that expensive). I'd do a google search to see if there are any other baby box providers that come in a bit cheaper.
Now that I know you got your baby box for free I want mine for free! Also we should probably be naming this kid after you, WARNING TMI incoming..
Spoiler!
Old 04-11-2017, 03:21 PM   #127
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
We are very very selective of the apps/shows we let our kids use. It's worth the time to curate the apps and shows for your kids.

We basically only let our kids watch 'smarty screen' for 6 days a week...and on Sunday they can watch whatever they want.

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:41 PM   #128
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Re Diapers: Pampers for boys, Huggies for girls. YMMV.
No way. Pampers are for leak free diapers. Huggies are for people who like to get #### everywhere leaking out the sides. Huggies are a no no and I have 2 girls. Unless your into exploding diapers full of poo, then go with the Huggies.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:44 PM   #129
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I've been trying to figure out what to get my wife for Mothers day, she is due almost exactly one month from the day, but that baby box looks pretty neat.

Which one did you go with?

We graduated from baby college last night, I have seen things man.. things there are no coming back from.. I am sure it will be more 'magical' when it is my own though.
Get her a plant.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:37 PM   #130
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I'm starting to wonder if diapers might work differently from kid-to-kid.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2017, 05:21 PM   #131
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
We've gone from Huggies to Pampers and back again (whatever is on sale) and honestly I can't tell the difference
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:23 PM   #132
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Maybe its been said... I didnt read them all but here goes.

First off Congrats! it can be extremely challenging and yet extremely rewarding at the same time.

You're going to hear this lots but its true. They grow up fast. I didnt really understand it when I first became a father but every little stage brings its own triumphs and its always awesome so just take the time to enjoy it. They start walking and its so awesome. Then they start talking sentences, then they dont wear a diaper anymore, then they can wipe their own butt. Take some time to enjoy each step.

Once I realized how much i was missing working long hours and 7 days a week, I took a step back and made some changes in my life. We don't make as much money but we are happier, and my kids are 10 and 8.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2017, 08:52 PM   #133
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

"Say bubble"
"Buhbuh"

"Say bye-bye"
"Buh buh"

"What does a sheep say?"
"Buuuh"

I don't care, those are 3 different words.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2017, 09:02 PM   #134
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Where on earth could you get such an outrageous idea?~!
Old 04-12-2017, 12:12 AM   #135
Fobby
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Now that I know you got your baby box for free I want mine for free! ]
They just started to give these out for free. You have to sign up for the baby box university, and watch a bunch of video that combines to 10 mins. Print off the certificate and you can pick up from the pregnancy clinic downtown.
http://www.babyboxco.com/blogs/news/...box-in-3-steps

Our little one is 8 weeks old now and he sleeps in the box downstairs when we are eating dinner or during the day. Very helpful.

Also, get yourself a good thermometer. We have 2 and take temperature at least once a day. Fever can be a terrible thing when they are young. We just spent 4 days at the ACH due to a urinary tract infection.

Good luck on getting sleep!
Fobby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fobby For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2017, 01:17 AM   #136
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you want the kid to toilet train quickly go with cloth diapers, they're not comfy but the diaper rash encourages potty use fairly quickly.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:46 AM   #137
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Now that I know you got your baby box for free I want mine for free! Also we should probably be naming this kid after you, WARNING TMI incoming..
Spoiler!
Glad that the vacation was successful in more ways than one!

Jon is a glorious name!

If you're seriously looking and want a tribute to the trip, you could always go Breton for a boy (ie: Cape Breton) and Cèilidh (Kay-Lee) for a girl (a social gathering/party). Cèilidh is actually a somewhat popular name around here (although you get every spelling in the book, Cèilidh is the traditional Gaelic spelling, but I know Kaylee, Kayleigh, Kayley, etc).

I have a second cousin (third cousin/second cousin once removed I can never keep those straight) named Sydney after her father (my second counsin)'s hometown.

Regardless, enjoy parenthood, it's a fantastic ride!

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2017, 07:18 AM   #138
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
If you want the kid to toilet train quickly go with cloth diapers, they're not comfy but the diaper rash encourages potty use fairly quickly.
We've used cloth with 2 kids now and haven't had any diaper rash issues, I've been told cloth helps early potty training because they feel they are wet sooner.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:22 PM   #139
DSquared
Draft Pick

Default Best day of my life

Congrats,

Best day of my life was the day my first daughter was born, the second best day of my life was the day my third daughter moved off to university.
DSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:50 PM   #140
Hammertime
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm not sure where the pro-Pampers crowd is coming from. I've got a 7 mo old, and have tried Pampers Swaddlers, Huggies Snug and Dry and Kirkland brand diapers.

My least favorite was Pampers, because it doesn't have a deep back flap that folds-in that is the line of defense from a fecal blow-out up the back. Other than that critical feature, they are all pretty equal. Pampers has Disney characters, and Huggies has Winnie the Pooh.

I love being a Dad, it's getting better every day.

Some advice:
- First 3 months are tough, and you don't get much interaction with your baby. Things start to get alot better around the 3 month mark.
- Grandmothers (both sides) will always think they know better than you. In many cases this is true, and sometimes it's better to just go along with how they want to do things instead of arguing.
- Get into a consistent routine as soon as possible. We started sleep training early, around the 5-6 week mark. By 2 months, he was sleeping through the night (9PM to 7AM). There are regressions that occur, but in general, the routine (bath, nighttime bottle feeding, swaddling, etc) was key to keeping sane.
- Baby carriers are good investments
- Depending on your healthcare benefits, your wife may be able to get a decent breast milk pump paid for through insurance. This greatly helped us for our bedtime routine.
- Make sure your baby has finished pooping before going in to change the diaper.
Hammertime is offline   Reply With Quote