Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2017, 09:42 AM   #41
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Not exactly what you'd want to drink a good, craft beer in though.
Why not?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:49 AM   #42
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, nothing wrong with it other than not staying cool for too long. Tulip glass for the win.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:22 AM   #43
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Why not?
Us beer nerds enjoy the appropriate glassware for the appropriate style. A 20 oz pint glass is fine for a lager, but different beer styles can be enhanced by the way different glass shapes contain aromas, carbonation etc. I know it's all a little silly! I'd be a little shocked to order a 14% BA stout and get it in a 20 oz pint glass! Tulips are usually a safe bet for most styles. I do like IPAs in the Spiegelau ipa glasses too. Plus, they perfectly fit the 16 oz cans that all the good IPAs come in these days.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2017, 11:10 AM   #44
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

OK. Given that even craft beer pubs rarely serve beer at the proper temperature, the glass shape seems somewhat over-fussy.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2017, 11:22 AM   #45
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Us beer nerds enjoy the appropriate glassware for the appropriate style. A 20 oz pint glass is fine for a lager, but different beer styles can be enhanced by the way different glass shapes contain aromas, carbonation etc. I know it's all a little silly! I'd be a little shocked to order a 14% BA stout and get it in a 20 oz pint glass! Tulips are usually a safe bet for most styles. I do like IPAs in the Spiegelau ipa glasses too. Plus, they perfectly fit the 16 oz cans that all the good IPAs come in these days.
Appropriate glassware? WTF did I just read?

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2017, 11:55 AM   #46
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

If only there was some sort of measurement standard that we could all use instead of this old timey stuff. If only...
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 12:02 PM   #47
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I only recognize centiliters.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:27 PM   #48
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

My glass is always half empty.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:47 PM   #49
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I was in Edmonton on the weekend and besides the STD's I contracted just by sitting in their seats, I was most upset with the way they represent their pints. They used 0.4L instead of just saying "14 oz."

What kind of Tom Foolery is this!! And how the hell do you think it is morally ok to serve me a pint for 7.50 that is 14 ounces. At least Rogers Place had the proper pint size at 20 ounces even if it was 11.50 a pop and the beer tasted like warm cat pee.

Hrmm I just realized that actually price per ounce Rogers Place was better than the pub I drank at prior, slightly but still better. The difference being domestic versus craft but still.. that is sad.

Last edited by GreenLantern; 01-17-2017 at 01:49 PM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:49 PM   #50
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I was in Edmonton on the weekend and besides the STD's I contracted just by sitting in their seats, I was most upset with the way they represent their pints. They used 0.4L instead of just saying "14 oz."

What kind of Tom Foolery is this!!
Never trust an Edmontonian when it comes to beer. They're No Good.

Quote:
The outrage was real when it was revealed a 20oz beer at the new Rogers Place will cost $11.50. After a few weeks of being open, the arena is now being called out for short changing everyone.

This video has made the rounds in Edmonton of Phil Ly claiming they are only pouring 16oz of beer in the 20oz cups. I’ve had a few at Rogers place, but can’t recall if it was filled to the top or not. I dont remember feeling shortchanged, but may keep my eyes open in the future.
http://www.sonic1029.com/2016/10/12/...ouring-policy/

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2017, 01:51 PM   #51
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Mother................. damn that place, just damn it all the way to the hell it already is.. so then it was 11.50 for 16 ounces, which is way worse than what the pub charged me and way ####tier beer (Canadian).

Whyyy!!!!!!!
Old 01-17-2017, 01:58 PM   #52
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Mother................. damn that place, just damn it all the way to the hell it already is.. so then it was 11.50 for 16 ounces, which is way worse than what the pub charged me and way ####tier beer (Canadian).

Whyyy!!!!!!!
Why?

Repeat after me:

"His Name is Robert Paulson! His name is....wait, wrong one....sorry. Edmonton is No Good! Edmonton is No Good."

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2017, 02:35 PM   #53
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan02 View Post
Was at bookers bbq and crab shack last night. Pints there are only 14 ozs. Pretty soon they'll start coming in shot glasses.
Yeah, that's quite the scam they have going on. Last summer, I went there one night and they closed really early (last call at 11 or 11:30), so we went to CharBar in the old Simmons Building afterwards. At first, we were complaining about the higher prices until we realized that CharBar had real 20oz pints, so it was actually cheaper than Booker's.

When you adjust for volume, Booker's in more expensive than the Saddledome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
If only there was some sort of measurement standard that we could all use instead of this old timey stuff. If only...
I'm actually surprised that bars are allowed to advertise their sizes in just ounces without also showing mL.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:51 PM   #54
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Restaurants charging obscene amounts for alcohol? I, for one, am shocked!

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 02:55 PM   #55
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan02 View Post
Was at bookers bbq and crab shack last night. Pints there are only 14 ozs. Pretty soon they'll start coming in shot glasses.
My wife drug me to Joey's in Eau Claire this weekend, pints there are also 14 oz.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 03:01 PM   #56
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
My wife drug me to Joey's in Eau Claire this weekend, pints there are also 14 oz.
They are also only $4 3-6 and 9-close!
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 03:10 PM   #57
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I'm actually surprised that bars are allowed to advertise their sizes in just ounces without also showing mL.
Fully agree. You don't see gas stations selling gas in arbitrary units of foreign measurement. Love it or hate it, we're metric here. Use it. 16 and 14 ounce fake pints not only capitalize on the ambiguity of the term "pint", but also the unfamiliarity with ounces. I'm no spring chicken at 37, but I have never been asked to measure anything in ounces (fluid or solid or American or Imperial or whatever). I can honestly say that I don't really understand what an ounce even is, until you break it down into "proper pint", "insulting fake mini pint", and these new "you're effing with me super mini fake pints."
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:05 AM   #58
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yep, myself and friends went into Joeys for dinner and a beer a few days ago. Ordered a "pint" of Kronenbourg Blanc and received a piddley 14oz glass. As a person who works at Craft, was I ever stunned and then pissed that our 20oz is cheaper then their 14oz.

I sent it back. Got water. Finished dinner. Went to a pub and enjoyed Kronenbourg in a 20oz the rest of night.

And, like Earls, I'll prob never go back...

Last edited by csnarpy; 01-18-2017 at 11:08 AM.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:38 AM   #59
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
They are also only $4 3-6 and 9-close!
I'd hope so. They are essentially half a pint.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:05 PM   #60
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Beer is like wings for me. I will never pay full price.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote