Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2015, 06:58 AM   #221
arcfyr
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Thanks! I haven't heard of that one before. I hear there are a lot of fun, shorter ones in the Kananaskis front range.
arcfyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:20 AM   #222
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
Give Nihahi Ridge a try. The trailhead is at the end of Hwy 66 in the Little Elbow day use area.
You have to wait until May 15 when he highway opens for that one. And it's a bit rougher since the floods.

You can do Prairie mountain now though. Park at the closed gate by Elbow Falls and follow the trail going up the ditch opposite the river (of course).

I also like Raspberry ridge on the gravel road to Coleman but only about an hour and a half from Calgary.

During summer, Snow peak at burstall pass is easy and beautiful.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:22 AM   #223
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsieve View Post
Has anyone ever done Mount Robson. I was always under the understanding that you could hike it. I'd love to do it but I don't have any climbing experience and its not something that really interests me. Any ideas of how far you can make it up without climbing. I'm down for a scramble, but not anything to the point that I need full harnesses or anything like that
There are no non-technical routes on Robson. The easiest (for climbers) route to the summit is Class 5 on the south face. By definition, Class 5 involves ropes and belaying.

You can hike to Kinney Lake > Berg Lake > Snowbird Pass. That gets you to the east face and Robson Glacier. This is a multi-day trip, though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2015, 11:36 AM   #224
sevenarms
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
There are no non-technical routes on Robson. The easiest (for climbers) route to the summit is Class 5 on the south face. By definition, Class 5 involves ropes and belaying.

You can hike to Kinney Lake > Berg Lake > Snowbird Pass. That gets you to the east face and Robson Glacier. This is a multi-day trip, though.
Campground reservations for that trail opened last week and will fill up before summer.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/res...serveBerg.html
Old 03-29-2015, 04:36 PM   #225
firebug
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What a terrific spring so far! Here is a couple trail reports to help get you out there this year:

Fullerton loop - Had the family out on it Friday afternoon. 90% dry with about 5% muddy and about 5% ice-covered (didn't need to put on our yaktrax). 7km; 2:45.

Jumpingpound Loop - We were out on it earlier today. Wind wasn't too bad but it was noisy with the shooting range serenading us the whole time. North of 68 was in great shape while south of it was wet (but manageable) with only a couple 10 - 15' stretches of ice (no spikes needed). 9km; 3:17.

Our times aren't impressive, but we are hiking with kid's aged 4, 7 and 10.

~P^2
firebug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to firebug For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2015, 07:17 AM   #226
pgsieve
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Speaking of trail reports... my good friend started a trail running/hiking website. I think eventually he is looking to start putting on trail running clinics, but for now he is just working with a number of local accomplished runners to build the Happy Trails website. Anytime he or any of his running pals are out in the mountains, they are documenting a detailed trail report.

Check it out at:

http://www.happytrailsrun.com/trail-report/
Old 03-30-2015, 08:46 AM   #227
sevenarms
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Canyon Creek Ice Cave trail was a little muddy in parts but the entire scree is free of snow and ice.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:28 PM   #228
Smyth's Skate
Backup Goalie

Exp:

EEOR on Friday was good. The lower trail was snow free and dry, just a little bit of snow between the plateau and the upper cliff band on the scree. But that made for a fast Glisading descent on the way down. Above the cliffs to the summit was snow covered and a bit slippery. Microspikes or Crampons were a must.

Also, they got a lot of snow out there yesterday, so I am sure conditions have changed.
Smyth's Skate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:37 PM   #229
Brewmaster
Scoring Winger

Exp:

In general, are people expecting trails and passes throughout the rockies to be clear and dry earlier than usual this year?
Brewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 01:12 PM   #230
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Glad to see this bumped.

I am gonna be doing some tenting in addition to the RV stuff this year. I bought a dual sport adventure motorcycle, and I want to find some nice camp spots that are accessible by gravel roads/logging roads/dirt roads. I kinda want to camp, where I drive/park. Anyone have any good suggestions on little lakes, hidden places that would be accessible by motorcycle where I could set up camp?

I bought a KLR650 which is not gonna win the Dakar Rally, but I set it up with knobbies/and skid plates, so it will go most places a decent 4WD can go.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2015, 03:45 PM   #231
Smyth's Skate
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmaster View Post
In general, are people expecting trails and passes throughout the rockies to be clear and dry earlier than usual this year?
I hiked up Jura Canyon yesterday, and there was about 6 inches of snow in the upper slot and still falling. It will need a good few days of warm, windy weather to dry things out again. Not expecting it to be drier and clearer yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to Smyth's Skate For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2015, 04:07 PM   #232
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmaster View Post
For above treeline passes it really depends on April weather. If we keep getting the new snow every week it will take quite a while to melt out. Even in a good year you are still looking at the last weekend in June for the high alpine stuff.

Highway 66 looks ready to go just waiting for the gait to to open. Did Prarie this weekend and if not for Saturdays snow it would have been dry the whole way.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2015, 04:19 PM   #233
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:
Icon34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Glad to see this bumped.

I am gonna be doing some tenting in addition to the RV stuff this year. I bought a dual sport adventure motorcycle, and I want to find some nice camp spots that are accessible by gravel roads/logging roads/dirt roads. I kinda want to camp, where I drive/park. Anyone have any good suggestions on little lakes, hidden places that would be accessible by motorcycle where I could set up camp?

I bought a KLR650 which is not gonna win the Dakar Rally, but I set it up with knobbies/and skid plates, so it will go most places a decent 4WD can go.
Interested to hear the replies to this...you might get more traction on the Adventure motorcycling groups on Facebook (Calgary motorcycle riders, Rocky mountain adventures, Calgary Dirt Devils)

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fozzie_DeBear For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2015, 04:27 PM   #234
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

This off road academy might interest you Pylon

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:54 PM   #235
Smyth's Skate
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Glad to see this bumped.

Hey Pylon, you might like this. The first one is in Glacier NP. Lots of backroads to explore on the west end. Columbia Falls is a good starting point. The second is tearing down camp and heading out from a random Farmers pasture in East Cental Alberta. I loved exploring on the bike. Stealth camping can be alot of fun!

Last edited by Smyth's Skate; 04-07-2015 at 05:59 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Smyth's Skate For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2015, 10:11 AM   #236
firebug
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Glad to see this bumped.

I followed this thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...Overland-Route for a long time. It made me really want a bike for stuff like that (instead, with a family, I bought a land cruiser).

~P^2
Old 04-08-2015, 10:16 AM   #237
firebug
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smyth's Skate View Post
I hiked up Jura Canyon yesterday, and there was about 6 inches of snow in the upper slot and still falling. It will need a good few days of warm, windy weather to dry things out again. Not expecting it to be drier and clearer yet.
We did Sulphur-Springs/Riverview (9.5km; 3:10) on Friday and found it in passable condition, although I suspect after it warmed up a bit more, the mud would've softened up quite a bit making it more difficult.

I'm hoping to get the family up Prairieview Trail (Barrier Lake Lookout) on Sunday but it seems like with all the snow that arrived on Sunday we may have to choose something else instead.

~P^2
Old 04-08-2015, 10:28 AM   #238
Smyth's Skate
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I was planning on summiting Wasootch Peak on Sunday, but I am generally a solo scrambler, so good conditions are a safety issue for me. That being said, I will be watching the snow conditions over the next couple of days before I make my decision.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:10 PM   #239
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smyth's Skate View Post
Hey Pylon, you might like this. The first one is in Glacier NP. Lots of backroads to explore on the west end. Columbia Falls is a good starting point. The second is tearing down camp and heading out from a random Farmers pasture in East Cental Alberta. I loved exploring on the bike. Stealth camping can be alot of fun!

LOL, looks like we have the exact same bike, bags, and tent. Thanks for the info. I have always wanted to try the adventure riding thing. One thing I have always respected about the adventure guys, is there is no brand snobbery or pretense. They Just love to ride. I also think it is hilarious that the benchmark bike in the category, is a 20 year old design, with no fuel guage, a carb and 37 HP. I've chatted it up with guys with 20k+ BMW adventure bikes, and they give the KLR mad respect. In fact one guy regretted making the move up and was trying to offload his BMW to go back. There is something to be said for the simplicity and durability of it. Also, the thing is an awesome commuter/run around! I have been leaving the Ducati at home and commuting on the KLR instead. Save the Ducati miles for when the hooligan mood sets in.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2015, 02:44 PM   #240
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anyone is wanting to do the on day bus to lake ohara they changed the way reservations work. Reservations for day use for the entire season opens april 20th at 5am online.

Camping is still 3months in advance by phone
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backcountry , backpacking , hiking , tenting , wilderness