Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2011, 06:40 PM   #21
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If this thing gets released this time next year, and I'm figuring that's the earliest it will be release... it will have been 7 years for the 360... that's a damn good stretch for any console.

Last edited by MrMastodonFarm; 11-25-2011 at 06:43 PM.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:31 PM   #22
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm quite content with the current systems we have now, to be honest--except the WIi: playing Zelda Skyward Sword right now and it's really apparent how far behind Nintendo is, especially since I haven't turned on my Nintendo in about a year before this week.

But both my Xbox and PS3 work fine for me. Fine enough that I wouldn't be out there on day one picking up the newest machine like I have been for just about every other console in the last 20 years. Especially considering the price point I expect them to hit the market at (god damn mortgage!)

And I have no brilliant name ideas here. I just can't see them calling it the Xbox 3. It'd be too confusing with the 360.

I actually wrote Nintendo back in the day pleading with them to reconsider the name Wii. I suggested they call it the N5.

The reply I got back was something like "We'll pass this along to our marketing department." Then I imagine they clicked delete.

/nolife
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:35 AM   #23
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Seriously what's with the computer gaming crowd? I always played Madden, NHL & the new GTA but that was about it as far as my gaming experience went, until about a year and a half ago when I realized how awesome new games have gotten. Because of it, I read the gaming threads a lot more now (not just here, but other MB's too), and I never realized how snobby the PC gamer crowd was compared to PS/XBox. You're all better than us, we get it.

EDIT: As for when the new systems will be out, I bet its not until well into 2013. With the new GTA coming out and rumoured around late 2012, I can't imagine Rockstar would release its biggest game at the same time that new consoles were coming out.
Whoa whoa whoa... hold on now. I did not say that to come across as snobby. I love console gaming and I've chosen certain games for my 360 over the PC version. All I am saying is that it is time for a new generation of consoles. The technology has fallen behind enough now that in a year or two it will be necessary. Remember the 360 is six years old now. This thing isn't going to be in the store tomorrow.

Of course a PC will always be more powerful but the gap is becoming too wide. I think it is fair to compare them though. Game development in the past 3 or 4 years had shifted to the console market. The PC was really left at the wayside. Most games were simply ported over to the PC and were routinely given better reviews on the Xbox. Hell, some even looked better. Not anymore. Now we're starting to see games that look and perform better on the PC. I'd like to see that gap shortened again.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:56 AM   #24
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

That wasn't directed specifically at you. I read that stuff everywhere, besides CP (though here as well), on the Saints board I'm on, as well as a couple others in their respective tech forums. I understand, just seems like in every discussion I wade into theres random shots at consoles by the PC crowd, whether it even related to the topic or not. Just gets annoying to read after awhile.

Anyway, I really think if it wasn't for the '08 recession, we would've seen new consoles by now. Seemed to be they made the switch every 5 years, so this 7 year gap is extreme. Probably didn't want to release a whole new, expensive console to a market in those economic conditions, makes sense. But now that things are finally coming around, we're finally seeing talk of a new system in the next 1.5 years or so. I agree its overdue.

...and I like whoever's idea it was to call it the XBox 4.5. Gamesmanship ftw.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:47 AM   #25
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
If this thing gets released this time next year, and I'm figuring that's the earliest it will be release... it will have been 7 years for the 360... that's a damn good stretch for any console.
Well, if you ignore how many years it took for Microsoft to fix the persistent issues the 360 had for most of its life (like the red ring of death), then yeah I guess the 360 had a good stretch.

The other thing is how much advancement we'll be seeing graphically in new console generations. How much better can the consoles get where people can look at the new one and say "this is definitely miles ahead of the old one in every way." There's a point where the cost to make a game makes it difficult to justify the advancements. If the next generations of consoles expects Uncharted 3 levels of production on every title, that's creating lofty expectations in a world where many casual, simpler games are trending towards simpler graphics as well.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:50 PM   #26
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
That wasn't directed specifically at you. I read that stuff everywhere, besides CP (though here as well), on the Saints board I'm on, as well as a couple others in their respective tech forums. I understand, just seems like in every discussion I wade into theres random shots at consoles by the PC crowd, whether it even related to the topic or not. Just gets annoying to read after awhile.

Anyway, I really think if it wasn't for the '08 recession, we would've seen new consoles by now. Seemed to be they made the switch every 5 years, so this 7 year gap is extreme. Probably didn't want to release a whole new, expensive console to a market in those economic conditions, makes sense. But now that things are finally coming around, we're finally seeing talk of a new system in the next 1.5 years or so. I agree its overdue.

...and I like whoever's idea it was to call it the XBox 4.5. Gamesmanship ftw.
I get that, I just figured I should really clarify myself because I wasn't trying to say consoles suck. I love my 360. Its just getting a little long in the tooth now and like you said a 7 year gap is pretty extreme.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:58 PM   #27
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post

Compared to what?

It is on par with a PS3 and better than a Wii. That's all the consoles right there.
I'm comparing it to what the top end PCs can do right now. It's lagging too far behind right now. When I look at a game like Skyrim, it looks horrible, great game, but crappy graphics.

Last edited by Fire; 11-26-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Fire is offline   Reply With Quote