Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2017, 11:20 AM   #581
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
It's loser talk to post about cheating, complain about refs, attaching asterisks, to say "I'm not taking anything away". That's exactly what you are doing. Admit the obvious without qualifications. The best team won again.
Agreed, the whole asterick issue is stupid. better do that to the 49ers championships with Jerry "Stickum" Rice. the best team won yet again...
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dirk diggler For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2017, 12:41 PM   #582
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
One thing I do think got over looked was that the Falcons defense was gassed in the 4th quarter and OT - Time of possession was 40 minutes to 23 minutes. A lot of time for that defense to be on the field.
The Falcons really needed to win the coin toss just to give their defense a breather. I realize throughout the broadcast that they kept touting the Falcons defense as this young, up and coming group but really it wasn't a good defense in the regular season and if anything their play in the playoffs was kind of a aberration. What we saw in the 2nd half of the season is similar to a lot of the regular season.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:04 PM   #583
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Wait, everyone stop. I have some bad news.

The clip of Lady Gaga on the roof of the stadium was real, but it was several days ago.

Quote:
Except she didn't seriously jump from the roof - at least, not live at the Super Bowl (as some quickly pointed out, it seemed a bit suspicious that the camera cut away abruptly as soon as she fell out of view). The intro to Gaga's performance was actually taped several days in advance, officials with Intel Drones confirmed to The Washington Post. The creative teams behind the dazzling display wanted to avoid any potential weather problems - not to mention that having a pop star plummet safely from the roof to the field poses some significant challenges.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:09 PM   #584
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think that premature Atlanta cover actually made it to press. This Boston Globe one did though, so collectors item obviously

Old 02-06-2017, 01:49 PM   #585
goodyear
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Not a fan of the Pats or the Falcons but had the over. It was looking grim for 3/4 of the game. But wow... What a great finish!

Hate him or love him... Brady is GOAT not just among QBs or NFL but in all of team sports....same realm as Jordan, Kobe, Gretzky.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
goodyear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to goodyear For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2017, 02:26 PM   #586
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodyear View Post
Not a fan of the Pats or the Falcons but had the over. It was looking grim for 3/4 of the game. But wow... What a great finish!

Hate him or love him... Brady is GOAT not just among QBs or NFL but in all of team sports....same realm as Jordan, Kobe, Gretzky.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Ummmmmmmmmmm...............................
Old 02-06-2017, 02:49 PM   #587
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Ummmmmmmmmmm...............................
He may be speaking a bit high of Kobe, but he's top 25-30 all time imo. Brady is up there with Ali, Jordan, Gretzky, Ruth, Nicklaus, Woods, Federer, Williams, etc. Legends among legends category.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trackercowe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2017, 02:53 PM   #588
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

My GOATs:

NFL: Brady
MLB: Teddy Williams
NHL: Mario
NBA: Jordan
Golf: Jack
Tennis: Roger
Lacrosse: John Grant Jr.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 02:58 PM   #589
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
He may be speaking a bit high of Kobe, but he's top 25-30 all time imo. Brady is up there with Ali, Jordan, Gretzky, Ruth, Nicklaus, Woods, Federer, Williams, etc. Legends among legends category.
Oh yeah, but Kobe is a couple levels below Tom Brady. Tim Duncan's got a better claim to be in the Brady category for the same reason: Longevity. Duncan got #5 at 38, Brady at 39.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:04 PM   #590
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Oh yeah, but Kobe is a couple levels below Tom Brady. Tim Duncan's got a better claim to be in the Brady category for the same reason: Longevity. Duncan got #5 at 38, Brady at 39.
lol this guy. comparing kobe to duncan....

but let's not derail the superbowl thread.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 05:40 PM   #591
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
lol this guy. comparing kobe to duncan....

but let's not derail the superbowl thread.
Duncan was a greater player.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:21 PM   #592
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Salty.
Quote:
So salty.
Quote:
Haha. I'm not even a Pats fan. Or a Falcons fan.
I just find the hatred of the Pats and Brady funny.
So very salty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
Also, drop the salty stuff and the politics.

Only warning.
That awkward moment where a mod inadvertently gives another mod a stern warning.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2017, 06:27 PM   #593
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

One Brady accomplishment that will likely never be repeated: winning Superbowls (and Superbowl MVP awards) 16 years apart.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2017, 07:09 PM   #594
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Around the 3rd quarter I was wondering: how are the Falcons feeling? They might be pretty focused but it's hard not to see the score and have some internal reassurance that you're probably going to win.
What about the Pats players? Each failed pass, drive or attempt must have been absolutely crushing when it feels like you've been suffocated on both sides of the field since the beginning of the game.

Takes some serious mental fortitude for Brady to lead the team like that in spite of the odds.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:58 PM   #595
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Ratings were down 40% on ctv. And based on how they were annihilated on twitter for their scam text and win promotion I feel like they are reaping what they've sown. Even though I had originally agreed with their position that the crtc had no place eliminating sim subs mid contract thus devaluing something they'd already paid for based on perceived value.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:03 PM   #596
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Ratings were down 40% on ctv. And based on how they were annihilated on twitter for their scam text and win promotion I feel like they are reaping what they've sown. Even though I had originally agreed with their position that the crtc had no place eliminating sim subs mid contract thus devaluing something they'd already paid for based on perceived value.
Huh? Do I need to be residing in Canada to understand any part of this post?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:24 PM   #597
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

late to the thread, but can't argue about Brady being the GOAT wrt to QBs... other positions, its tougher to argue.

While the Falcons might have been gassed, they had a 25 point advantage! Honestly is there any other QB that could have done this? Brady ain't chucking to a bunch of all pros out there... Edelman was a QB in college, Hogan was a lacrosse player, Mitchell was a first year rookie...

With the exception of Moss (and Gronk but he's a TE), Brady has made his receivers look great...

Bellichick is good to, but lets not forget, he's a DC by trade, not an OC... How many OCs have cycled through the Patriots franchise in the last 17 years again?

Bellichick as a HC wasn't anything before Brady... just check the record books... Brady and Bellichick's success is symbiotic and greater than the sum of the individual parts
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:20 PM   #598
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Huh? Do I need to be residing in Canada to understand any part of this post?
Possibly. Normally when something is airing on a US network and a Canadian network simultaneously, the CRTC permits the Canadian station to literally substitute their own signal over the US channel. It's called simsubing.

It often results in the same 5 commercials being played ad nauseam and terrible editing with late cuts resulting in missed plays.

This year the CRTC didn't let Bell do it because people like the famous US Super Bowl commercials. Except as much as I hate simsubing, it is unfair. CTV bought the rights from the NFL thinking they'd get all the viewers, not half of them, because everyone is on the US channel. It hurts their ad revenue.

To compensate they ran a watch and win promotion, except it was an unmitigated disaster and basically a total scam to get people to watch. People were supposed to text in a code to be entered to win prizes at various points in the game but the system crashed and left people mercilessly mocking bush league CTV for their failed promotion.

Now the NFL and bell are going to court to force the CRTC to reverse their decision. They'll likely win meaning the end of the fake watch and win contest and back to simsubing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2017, 11:12 PM   #599
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why does the NFL really care? If Canadians are tuning into the US network, shouldn't those rights fees be reflective of that increased viewership? Or I guess you're saying this move was not anticipated in the original deal?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:31 AM   #600
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The NFL cares because networks pay them insane prices for the product under the belief they will be able to sell ad space to the audience. Suffice to say if there's no simsub the amount a Canadian broadcaster would be willing to pay for coverage rights will decline significantly. Less money for the NFL = big problem. So I do expect this year to be one and done for American commercials, and back to simsub probably forever after this year. Can't imagine whoever signs the next rights deal won't demand blocking US TV ads, or will be offering 50% less than the last deal (obviously a non-starter for the NFL).