Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2015, 01:08 AM   #161
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury18 View Post
More assignments to Stockton:

Kenny Agostino, Bill Arnold, Ryan Culkin, Jon Gillies, Keegan Kanzig, Morgan Klimchuk , Oliver Kylington, Kenney Morrison, Emile Poirier, Blair Riley, Patrick Sieloff, and Bryce Van Brabant.

Turner Elson and Derek Grant will also be assigned if they clear waivers.
So they more or less announced Culkin is cut more so than assigned to Stockton since he can't officially be sent down until he is medically cleared.

But that leaves Stockton with:

G - J. Gillies
G - K. Simpson

D - R. Culkin (IR)
D - K. Kanzig
D - O. Kylington
D - K. Morrison
D - P. Sieloff
D - A. Johnson

F - B. Arnold
F - M. Klimchuk
F - E. Poirier
F - B. Riley
F - B. Van Brabant
F - T. Elson
F - D. Grant
F - A. Carroll
F - H. Smith
F - M. Heard
F - R. Lomberg
F - L. Marcotte
F - M. Kirkpatrick

I think it is safe to assume we will see a handful of PTOs as well.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 12:20 PM   #162
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Full training camp roster (spoilered for size)

Spoiler!

Last edited by sureLoss; 09-28-2015 at 12:24 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2015, 12:23 PM   #163
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

* indicates try out
Old 09-28-2015, 08:48 PM   #164
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ryan Constant sounds like a pretty reliable guy
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Scornfire For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2015, 10:31 PM   #165
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm thinking Kanzig is almost certainly going to spend part of the season in the ECHL. Just too many defensemen.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:18 PM   #166
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
I'm thinking Kanzig is almost certainly going to spend part of the season in the ECHL. Just too many defensemen.
There isn't that many. Only 6 of the 9 in camp have any form of contract and one of them is injured. Then the Flames have 2 more to cut and Wilson may not get a contract. I fail to understand how that is too many.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:53 AM   #167
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
There isn't that many. Only 6 of the 9 in camp have any form of contract and one of them is injured. Then the Flames have 2 more to cut and Wilson may not get a contract. I fail to understand how that is too many.
I would put Morrison, Kylington, Johnson, Sieloff ahead of Kanzig. Only one of (Nakladal, Wotherspoon, and Kulak) will likely stay up in Calgary. That makes 6 ahead of Kanzig. When Culkin comes back he'll be ahead of Kanzig as well. I assume Dustin Stevenson was signed to an AHL contract to be a veteran leader for a very young d-core.

They could try to make it work, but I rather see Kanzig playing top minutes in the ECHL instead of playing the occasional game as a bottom pairing defenseman in the AHL.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2015, 12:57 PM   #168
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames kept the Adirondack franchise for a reason.

IMO they will not hesitate to put some of the younger D-men in the ECHL if there are too many healthy bodies around, and that's not a bad thing at all IMO.

They'll get a bigger role, and get to build confidence, all under the tutelage of a coach the Flames hired, and on a team the Flames own.

Kulak spent time there last season, and he's now one of the final cuts at this years camp.

Again, it's not a bad thing IMO. It's just a numbers game.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2015, 06:34 PM   #169
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
I would put Morrison, Kylington, Johnson, Sieloff ahead of Kanzig. Only one of (Nakladal, Wotherspoon, and Kulak) will likely stay up in Calgary. That makes 6 ahead of Kanzig. When Culkin comes back he'll be ahead of Kanzig as well. I assume Dustin Stevenson was signed to an AHL contract to be a veteran leader for a very young d-core.

They could try to make it work, but I rather see Kanzig playing top minutes in the ECHL instead of playing the occasional game as a bottom pairing defenseman in the AHL.
Last year Huska rotated the D in and out often used 8-9-10 guys. Why would we expect different this year? Last year it seemed like only Wotherspoon & Yonkman were the only AHL blueliners not to rotate in and out of the lineup. The way I see things is the Flames & Heat let several defensemen walk in the offseason (Yonkman, Acolatse, Cundari, Ramage, Potter) and they will be adding Morrison, Kanzig, Kylington, Johnson and a full season of Kulak. I think Kanzig very well could play some minutes in the ECHL, as could Kylington and Stevenson. I think will more or less play out like year because there will always be injuries in both Calgary and Stockton, gets will get traded and guys will struggle.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:03 PM   #170
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
Last year Huska rotated the D in and out often used 8-9-10 guys. Why would we expect different this year? Last year it seemed like only Wotherspoon & Yonkman were the only AHL blueliners not to rotate in and out of the lineup. The way I see things is the Flames & Heat let several defensemen walk in the offseason (Yonkman, Acolatse, Cundari, Ramage, Potter) and they will be adding Morrison, Kanzig, Kylington, Johnson and a full season of Kulak. I think Kanzig very well could play some minutes in the ECHL, as could Kylington and Stevenson. I think will more or less play out like year because there will always be injuries in both Calgary and Stockton, gets will get traded and guys will struggle.
So we agree. Kanzig most likely will see time in the ECHL.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:47 PM   #171
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Heat play their second exhibition game tonight. They beat the Barracuda 4-2 on Thursday.

Quote:
The upgrade to the AHL has brought a ton of exciting talent to Stockton including former first round selection of the Calgary Flames Emile Poirier.
Since his selection in 2013, Poirier has turned heads with his grit and his offensive upside.
In his first full season as a pro last year, he put up 42 points in 55 games while playing in Adirondack and even played 6 games with the big club in Calgary.
Fans could see Poirier penciled in to the lineup tonight make his unofficial Heat debut and should be one of the more recognizable talents on the ice for Stockton.
http://stocktonheat.com/news/gameday...e-bakersfield/
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:30 PM   #172
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

The up-sell is palatable with the Heat. Trying very hard to win over Thunder fans. Hyping the Flames prospects and bringing in some long time popular Thunder players on a tryout basis to camp.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:56 PM   #173
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
The up-sell is palatable with the Heat. Trying very hard to win over Thunder fans. Hyping the Flames prospects and bringing in some long time popular Thunder players on a tryout basis to camp.
It will make it easy too if Garet Hunt keeps playing like he did last night. He's spent pretty much his entire pro career (7 years) in Stockton and is probably the most popular player in Stockton Thunder franchise history, they have a Hunt #24 Thunder banner in the rafters. He's also relatively young (27) and plays a brand of game that not many in the Flames organization do as he is definitely a scrapper (even though he is 5'8), he could fill the role that Gillies has had the last couple years and if he helps put asses in the seats it's not a bad thing.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:31 PM   #174
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heat up 3-0 over the Baby Oilers in the second pre-season game.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 03:07 PM   #175
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Colton Orr signed with the flames farm team
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 03:09 PM   #176
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Randy Sportak @SUNRandySportak
Want to know why Orr was signed to AHL Heat? Take a gander at the enforcers in their division.
Old 10-03-2015, 03:25 PM   #177
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
The Stockton Heat, proudly owned by the NHL’s Calgary Flames, sign veteran NHL forward Colton Orr to a AHL contract. In addition the Heat have released forwards Rob Bordson, Dana Fraser, Garret Thompson, Kyle Flanagan and defenseman Ryan Constant, Taylor Doherty and Mike Bergin from their professional tryouts. The team has also assigned Louick Marcotte to the Adirondack Thunder of the ECHL.
http://stocktonheat.com/news/heat-si...m-camp-roster/

Last edited by sureLoss; 10-03-2015 at 03:29 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2015, 05:25 PM   #178
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we'll have a pretty good team in Stockton this season. The young guys have a year of experience which will show compared to last season.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:21 PM   #179
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Flames trade for Freddie Hamilton and assign him to Stockton
Old 10-04-2015, 09:11 PM   #180
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's a pretty decent add for the Heat IMO.

Really deep at center in the AHL now. Plenty of righties too.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote