Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2024, 04:25 PM   #161
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
I think I’ve seen this episode before
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 04:29 PM   #162
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we use the California high speed rail project as a proxy, this thing can cost upwards of over $30B. For 5M population, that's $6K per every Albertan. And that's just to build it. How much is it going to cost to maintain it?

Seems like they can pay me way less than $9M to tell them it's not feasible lol.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 04:30 PM   #163
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
I think I’ve seen this episode before

Wow the parallels are unreal here, lol good find.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 04:35 PM   #164
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I know most of you don't actually watch the press conference videos, but why comment on it without watching? They didn't announce that they were going to do basically anything. They did not announce that they prefered a rail route. They did not announce that they will fund more rail development, anywhere. They did not even say that they think future rail development would be beneficial for the province.

I may be inaccurate in summarizing other people's posts but it seems to me that those of us who didn't watch the press conference did understand that this was a big nothing burger.

We essentially did nothing and we were correct in knowing they were doing nothing.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 04:36 PM   #165
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Pipedreams perhaps, but if ever this province is going to get out of this nasty rut of us relying on cars and bigass trucks to get us around, a first step has to be taken. First steps are hard, uncomfortable even, but they still have to be done. Has there ever been an announcement for a rail plan like this in Alberta's history? I'm not sure. I know that in my lifetime I'd like to see some kind of rail network in Alberta. If Europeans can do it, why can't we?

Could be a disaster in the making, or it could work out, who knows. If it fails, we still have our cars and bigass trucks to fall back on
Seems pretty obvious to me. Size and population.

One example for reference:
France size: 551,695 km²
Alberta size: 661,848 km²

France population: 67.97 million
Alberta population: 4.371 million
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greyshep For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 04:48 PM   #166
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post

Nobody is really asking for a train network as extensive as France's though.

Look at cities like Marseilles and Toulouse as a case study. They're about the same size as Calgary and Edmonton, but they have high speed train service between them... and they make it work extremely well.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 04:48 PM   #167
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I wonder if Preston Manning is doing the feasibility study??
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 09:28 PM   #168
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post

Look at cities like Marseilles and Toulouse as a case study. They're about the same size as Calgary and Edmonton, but they have high speed train service between them... and they make it work extremely well.
Rather topical since I'm about an hour away from jumping on a Frecciarossa from Milan to Rome. I think we'd want something more along the line of this service. Direct Calgary to Edmonton could probably be cut down to about an hour.

The Marseilles to Toulouse service looks like it cuts at 4:15 minute car ride down to a 4 hour train trip. I don't see the benefit to that. If we're gonna spend the ~10 billion to do it there better be a big payoff in travel time.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan02 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 10:35 PM   #169
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Put a couple of tanker cars on those trains and you'll have high speed oil transport too
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 03:23 AM   #170
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post

I think a far greater explanation is the addiction to vehicles in Alberta/NA heavily outweighs addiction to vehicles in France/EU. There simply isn't a will for people here to push the government to build something like that and when the topic comes up, there is massive pushback by the population. We cannot even build a "simple" rail connection between Calgary and Edmonton.

If we are ever going to phase ourselves off of fossil fuels for future generations, things like this must be done.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 06:31 AM   #171
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are the cities in Alberta set up for a train station even. The advantage to all the European cities are that they developed around a train as being a major means of transportation and there was the ability to just bulldoze (poor) people's homes in order to create a rail network. Trying to shoehorn a rail system into the geography of the city is near impossible. All the major European cities that I can think of have a central train station.

I like the theory of the train but I think that there will never be the political will or the financial capital to make it worthwhile.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 06:41 AM   #172
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

There used to be a Via Rail train station under the Calgary Tower

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Towe...ain%20services.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 07:03 AM   #173
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
All that hype for.....this?
She is like a child who just learned that trains are a thing.

"Have you guys seen these things? We need more of these that can go everywhere!! Choo-Choo!!!"

The only thing missing was:

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 07:15 AM   #174
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I think a far greater explanation is the addiction to vehicles in Alberta/NA heavily outweighs addiction to vehicles in France/EU. There simply isn't a will for people here to push the government to build something like that and when the topic comes up, there is massive pushback by the population. We cannot even build a "simple" rail connection between Calgary and Edmonton.

If we are ever going to phase ourselves off of fossil fuels for future generations, things like this must be done.
This is a big issue. Both Calgary and Edmonton are challenging cities to navigate entirely on public transit. How many people would really be willing to take the train back and forth, knowing that at their destination they will be taking busses, ubers, and taxis for the duration of their stay?

Not to mention the long, long winters which make the prospect of waiting for the busses, ubers, and taxis much less appealing. Even with a high-speed rail, I think you're going to see the majority of people opt to drive simply because they will want to have their vehicle with them to facilitate their time in whichever city they are heading to.

Marseilles and Toulouse both have extremely dense central cores compared to Calgary and Edmonton, which makes walking and transit much more appealing modes of transit (not to mention the better weather).

Having a train run between the two cities would be nice, and would certainly get some use - depending on the location of the terminal stations. But I don't think it would seriously reduce the amount of traffic on the QE2 or even get enough traffic to justify the cost. This would change if - for some reason - Calgary and Edmonton massively disincentivized suburban sprawl and encouraged urban densification.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 07:55 AM   #175
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Whatever came of the hyperloop rail that we invested in a couple years ago? This was supposed to connect Calgary and Edmonton with high speed rail.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/alta-hyp...deer-1.6217544
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 07:58 AM   #176
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superflyer View Post
Whatever came of the hyperloop rail that we invested in a couple years ago? This was supposed to connect Calgary and Edmonton with high speed rail.

The same thing that happened to all hyperloop systems, nothing. It's an interesting concept, but fully impractical to build and/or operate.
Old 04-30-2024, 07:58 AM   #177
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superflyer View Post

I've said it before...People-tubes are the only way to go.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 04-30-2024, 08:02 AM   #178
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
She is like a child who just learned that trains are a thing.

"Have you guys seen these things? We need more of these that can go everywhere!! Choo-Choo!!!"
I took out the images, just to make the quote a little smaller, but this is my favourite part about the whole thing. "This is going to knock your socks off!" And then it's the railroad...something we've had on this continent for almost 200 years.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 08:04 AM   #179
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I took out the images, just to make the quote a little smaller, but this is my favourite part about the whole thing. "This is going to knock your socks off!" And then it's the railroad...something we've had on this continent for almost 200 years.
I know! Isnt it just ridiculous? It still makes me laugh!

"Breaking News: Trains."

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 08:15 AM   #180
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post

But the Marseilles to Toulouse line doesn’t just support residents of Marsellies and Toulouse. It draws on cities and towns in the densely populated Marsellies and Toulouse regions, and many passengers embark and disembark in the densely populated region between the two cities.

If you count all the people who live within 45 mins of Marsellies and Toulouse, and within 45 min of the rail corridor between the two, it’s far more than live in the catchment of a Calgary-Edmonton route.

Outside the 401 corridor, Canada is a bunch of large cities separated by unpopulated wastelands. This is why passenger rail travel isn’t economical.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post: