Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 09:08 AM   #21
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by playmaker View Post
I honestly don't understand why Cammy is not projected in the 1st line - there's decent chemistry between him and Stajan, while Galiardi would provide some size and puck digging skills for Hudler and Backlund.
Also, I think it's Derek Smith who should've been benched instead of O'Brien but overall the lineup is OK.
Just because it's written first does not mean it is the top-line. Which ever line is playing best during the game is the top line. When you have a team built like the Flames are you are looking for the best 4 combinations, not "1st Line", "Secondary offense line", "Defensive Shutdown Line", "Grinder Line". These types of team structures are outdated IMO.

I would bet Hudler - Backlund - Cammalleri ends up with the most forward ice today.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:08 AM   #22
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzSome View Post
I don't mind the lineups. First line better start producing or at least getting some chances. Flames cannot rely on Cammy and Monahan lines all the time. I am not a Butler hater but I think he is playing way too many minutes. I hope Hartley will put Smid once in awhile with Brodie so Butler does not have to play 15+ minutes.
Meh, If they are a "first line" (by which I mean deployed PvP) I'm satisfied if they just play to a draw since that will in turn provide weaker opposition and the high ground to the other two scoring lines.

As for Smid, ideally I'd want him eating more minutes then bottom pairing duty will provide but he's new to the org so sure let's give him some limited minutes until the Flames systems set in.

Hope Stemper is good to go tonight... I think the Baertschi/Monahan line looks more dangerous with Stemper then Reinhart.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:48 AM   #23
Cheerio
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Prediction: Sven will be scratched for Stempniak
Old 11-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #24
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
Prediction: Sven will be scratched for Stempniak
They have to send a player to Abbotsford to activate Stempniak IIRC. Not 100% sure.

Last edited by sureLoss; 11-12-2013 at 09:58 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2013, 10:00 AM   #25
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Berra is either going to give up a huge stinker tonight in his home Debut or steal the game.

Hoping he Steals the game and solidifies his role as at the very least, Calgary's 1A starter.

EDIT: Smid also make a strong appearance in his first game making us all believe that we may have a legit D corps once GIO returns.

Monahan with a goal and a helper tonight. Sven is a direct recipient with a goal.

Last edited by dammage79; 11-12-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #26
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Stemps is ready to return. Hartley pleasssse reunite the Monahan, Sven, Stempniak line.
Coaches can be so odd during a season ignoring what players click together. As for Hudler the guy can make things happen with any line he plays on this season.
wouldn't mind seeing that Backlund, Hudler, Cammy 1st line stay together.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #27
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

I like his hustle but I am unsure why TJ Galiardi continues to get top 9 icetime. Hes been horrible offensively (plays dying on his stick) and hes been turnover machine as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Husky For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #28
JobHopper
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Game 18 and 10 points out of 8th place.

Flames need to turn things around here and fast. As I've mentioned, I'm not to impressed with how Jay Feaster has been managing this team. You just hope he doesn't make some bonehead move like trading TJ Brodie now that he's acquired Ladislav Smid.

Brodie is a top 3 player on this team and more than likely who most other teams are after.

Joe Colborne will more than likely end up on the tope line with Hudler and Cammalleri at some point in this game if Backlund doesn't score tonight.

Mikael has 1 goal more than Chris Butler. Mikael has more less played himself off this team and since we're coming up to the 20 game mark he's more than likely done as a Flame.

Same with Jay Feaster who resigned him this summer. At this point you have to wonder if Brian Burke will take over the GM duties or give Bob Hartley the GM duties along with the coaching. Bob has a better vision for the team in my opinion and is about winning were Feaster almost sounds like he's happy to just tank. That's unacceptable for the Calgary Flames organization as they don't do that.

Reto Berra making his Dome debut, he'll play well as well as the defense group, who have been playing well as a whole.

The problem is scoring, everything is coming from Hudler and Cammalleri. Maybe try putting Backlund on a line with Stajan. Or try Galiardi or Jones with Hudler and Cammalleri.

Probably see some points tonight from Monahan, Baertschi and Reinhart which will be a bonus.

Flames have had a few days off here between games and should rebound with a win tonight.

Flames win 5-2
Old 11-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #29
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default GTD - Sharks vs Flames - 7:00 - SNet-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobHopper View Post
Game 18 and 10 points out of 8th place.

Flames need to turn things around here and fast. As I've mentioned, I'm not to impressed with how Jay Feaster has been managing this team. You just hope he doesn't make some bonehead move like trading TJ Brodie now that he's acquired Ladislav Smid.

Brodie is a top 3 player on this team and more than likely who most other teams are after.

Joe Colborne will more than likely end up on the tope line with Hudler and Cammalleri at some point in this game if Backlund doesn't score tonight.

Mikael has 1 goal more than Chris Butler. Mikael has more less played himself off this team and since we're coming up to the 20 game mark he's more than likely done as a Flame.

Same with Jay Feaster who resigned him this summer. At this point you have to wonder if Brian Burke will take over the GM duties or give Bob Hartley the GM duties along with the coaching. Bob has a better vision for the team in my opinion and is about winning were Feaster almost sounds like he's happy to just tank. That's unacceptable for the Calgary Flames organization as they don't do that.

Reto Berra making his Dome debut, he'll play well as well as the defense group, who have been playing well as a whole.

The problem is scoring, everything is coming from Hudler and Cammalleri. Maybe try putting Backlund on a line with Stajan. Or try Galiardi or Jones with Hudler and Cammalleri.

Probably see some points tonight from Monahan, Baertschi and Reinhart which will be a bonus.

Flames have had a few days off here between games and should rebound with a win tonight.

Flames win 5-2
Not sure if serious....

EDIT: Now that I know serious, most hilarious post of the week. But that sad kind of hilarious where you feel like a terrible person for laughing but you laugh anyway.

Last edited by strombad; 11-12-2013 at 10:28 AM.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to strombad For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #30
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Cammalleri would sure be a nice fit for the Sharks. A legit sniper to play with so many big body players.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #31
JobHopper
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by strombad View Post
Not sure if serious....
The record speaks for itself, just being realistic here.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #32
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Are you aware of what the teams goals and expectations likely were coming into the season? More like game 18 and JobHopper needs to figure out what stage in the development lifecycle the Flames are in.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #33
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I think you're confused as to what rebuilding means. There's never been anything to suggest trading Brodie is an option, or that Backlund has played himself off the team, or that anyone thinks Feaster is doing a bad job.

You're being silly, not realistic. But let that freak flag fly brother.
The Following User Says Thank You to strombad For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #34
JobHopper
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by strombad View Post
I think you're confused as to what rebuilding means. There's never been anything to suggest trading Brodie is an option, or that Backlund has played himself off the team, or that anyone thinks Feaster is doing a bad job.

You're being silly, not realistic. But let that freak flag fly brother.
You sure you're not in denial?

The Flames have quite a few prospects right now. When I say Feaster is mismanaging this team, I mean that Knight and Hankowski should be up here on the main roster and Backlund, Jones, Galiardi and maybe even Sven down in Abbotsford.

What do they do up here?

Let's not use the term rebuild as an excuse to lose and tank, that was last year and it's done.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #35
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

We're due for a win, especially after getting the short end of the stick in both St.Louis and Colorado. something has to break the right way.

Go Flames!
Old 11-12-2013, 10:37 AM   #36
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man this schedule has been tough lately with the Hawks, Sharks and all the other west teams, especially in light of some of the key injuries that we have.

Looks like we get a little bit of respite after the Sharks tonight, but not much.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #37
playmaker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Just because it's written first does not mean it is the top-line. Which ever line is playing best during the game is the top line. When you have a team built like the Flames are you are looking for the best 4 combinations, not "1st Line", "Secondary offense line", "Defensive Shutdown Line", "Grinder Line". These types of team structures are outdated IMO.

I would bet Hudler - Backlund - Cammalleri ends up with the most forward ice today.
True. But the point was to emphasize how small and soft Backlund's line is. The linueup would be better balanced if Cammy and Galiardi were swaped - that was my point.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #38
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Looks like Hartley will stick with Smid-Smith pairing:

Pat Steinberg ‏@Fan960Steinberg 9s Smid practicing with Smith for a third straight day. Looks like O'Brien sits out for the first time this year. #Flames
Old 11-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #39
EYE_Overstand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
You sure you're not in denial?

The Flames have quite a few prospects right now. When I say Feaster is mismanaging this team, I mean that Knight and Hankowski should be up here on the main roster and Backlund, Jones, Galiardi and maybe even Sven down in Abbotsford.

What do they do up here?

Let's not use the term rebuild as an excuse to lose and tank, that was last year and it's done.
You realize :

1. The AHL is a great league to keep developing in
2. Backlund has been called out already
3. Whoever said the flames are trying to shop Brodie because they got Smid?
4. Ummmm Rebuild Year 1
5. You realize this isn't after the trade deadline and this is game 18?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EYE_Overstand For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #40
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Looks like Stempniak will draw in:

Randy Sportak ‏@SUNRandySportak 9s #Flames lines:
Galiardi-Stajan-Jones;
Cammalleri-Backlund-Hudler;
Baertschi-Monahan-Stempniak;
Bouma-Colborne-McGrattan.

Reinhart and Jackman out