Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-18-2016, 08:37 PM   #81
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWSurvey View Post
@calgaryblood there are other things to think about. Price guarantee in this economy is a good thing to have, especially when both companies raise their rates often. Second with all the lost revenue that Telus is incurring from customers switching, or matching the shaw deal or giving discounts to retain, they will have to make that up some how. I imagine price increases may be coming. If shaw puts a dent in revenue, I imagine fiber deployments may slow down. This is my opinion, it could be completely wrong so take it for whatever it is.
This is fair. I really don't understand the legality of it but they did promise it for one year. I also called for my parents and got them a $70 savings.

Telus is usually very hard to deal with to get any type of discount but they really folded pretty easily when I called both times. The second time he's like "yeah no problem what day do you want it cancelled" as soon as I told him today his tune changed when he knew I was serious.

Competition is good so I'm happy either way.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:53 PM   #82
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceUppercut View Post
I'm only getting about 100 Mbps after installing the modem and having it switched to bridge. Am I going to have to call Shaw and ask why?
Make sure you are on a wired connection and use shaw speed test. If it says 150 there, then switch to fast.com, speedof.me, or speed test.net and verify.

If you get 100 on the non shaw links then call them, if the shaw test comes back under 150 then they may not have switched your account. I have had that happen before.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:00 PM   #83
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just signed up online. Do they call me and have me pickup the new modem, or just deliver it to my place?
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:39 PM   #84
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Called Telus and it was and 90 min wait decided f that called Shaw they set me up at $99 for Premium Cable package and 150 Internet and is dealing with cancelling Telus. Install for Friday. Bill goes from $215/month to $99 first year and $170 second year. Done deal.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:56 AM   #85
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

The installer who came to my house today said the new modems can not be put into bridge mode. I didn't bother arguing and just logged in and switched wifi off on the shaw modem. Getting 175 down 17.5 up on wifi with an Asus 66u.

Bridged or not I don't see any loss in its current form.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:06 AM   #86
gaffobohs
Farm Team Player

Exp:

So for the channels I have with telus I'd be paying for premium tv, $100 for year one and $170 year two. Telus rep doesn't know that as she said Shaw's popular TV pack is the same as what I'm on. They are matching the deal price wise but because they can only offer me 50mb I'm going to call back today and see if they can lower it anymore. Otherwise I'll go to Shaw. In year two I'll have the same channels and triple the internet speed for an extra $20.

On another note, has anyone had any issues with shaw in Airdrie? Friend of mi e had them 10 mins from where I am and their Internet kept dropping out and switched to telus.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
gaffobohs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:29 AM   #87
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
The installer who came to my house today said the new modems can not be put into bridge mode.
well we've got some conflicting information out of the various Shaw sources now don't we...assuming the new piece they're giving everyone is the Hitron? I'm getting one shipped cause stores are apparently first come first served only, and they confirmed twice that it will be in bridge mode.

I wonder how many people out there are accidentally running two wireless networks and wondering why the speed blows or keeps dropping out.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:01 AM   #88
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
well we've got some conflicting information out of the various Shaw sources now don't we...assuming the new piece they're giving everyone is the Hitron? I'm getting one shipped cause stores are apparently first come first served only, and they confirmed twice that it will be in bridge mode.

I wonder how many people out there are accidentally running two wireless networks and wondering why the speed blows or keeps dropping out.
Yes I have the hitron. Not a bad unit but didn't play nice with my APs and wouldn't assign them IPs so I went back to the Asus and had no issues at all. I get the exact same speed as well. Was getting around 30mbps down and 4mbps up slower when I had the Hitron broadcasting.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:13 AM   #89
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I read that the Hitron one can't be put into Bridge mode, but it can do IP passthrough. I have not looked into it at all, and my install date is on Thursday so I cannot provide any practical experience on the matter.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:16 AM   #90
Bob
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are two modem models out there now? I can't recall the make of my modem (I got it in-store on Saturday), but it's definitely in bridge mode (or something equivalent). I ended up with the same IP that I had with my previous modem, and that's usually assigned based on my router's MAC address (i.e. change router MAC and you get a new IP).
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:16 AM   #91
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
I read that the Hitron one can't be put into Bridge mode, but it can do IP passthrough. I have not looked into it at all, and my install date is on Thursday so I cannot provide any practical experience on the matter.
I have the Hitron in IP pass through mode and it works just like bridge.

Also real speed of 17.5MBps was hit by one of my servers this morning, which is about 154Mbps once TCP/IP and Ethernet overhead is accounted for.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Krovikan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2016, 09:31 AM   #92
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Sorry to detail this thread everyone.

So if I have this right, I can leave everything the same, but turn wireless off on the modem and plug a higher end Asus into the Ethernet and use it as my wireless access point? That would be way easier.
Since you have Telus 150, which is Fiber, you actually don't need the Telus modem. You can plug in your own router directly to the Telus ONT.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2016, 09:50 AM   #93
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have the Hiltron in bridge, or at least I told the guy in Chinook Shaw store to bridge it and he said no problem, took him 5 minutes to do. Maybe it is IP pass through, but I'm not that technical to understand the difference anymore.

I did have the internet drop out last night and stay off until I rebooted the modem this AM. I hope that is just a freak occurrence and not something that will start happening now, the old Cisco was rock solid.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:53 AM   #94
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Does anyone know how long this promo is good for? I am going on vacation tomorrow for a week and a half, so hopefully I can switch over to Shaw when I get back.

Also, could someone explain how Shaw's gateway system works? I have a Telus Optik wireless PVR for the main level because it is not wired. Does shaw have a wireless set top box?

Thanks cp!

Edit: just spoke to Shaw. They do not have wireless set top boxes, but I asked if it was possible to have Telus TV connected to Shaw Internet and they said it wasn't a problem.

Has anyone done this before? How difficult would it be to connect the telus tv to shaw internet equipment? Would I need to call a Telus technician to come out to install? The Shaw agent said that they cannot touch any Telus equipment because they are not trained to do so.

Last edited by me_dennis; 07-19-2016 at 10:34 AM.
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:03 AM   #95
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Tried hard to look at why to stay with Telus, my 3 year was up 1 month ago so timing is fantastic. I hate shaw's interface for tv, we have it at work, but I think the $1000 I'll save over the next year will help that. Plus, I'm interested to see how shawgo wifi is, and free roam tv....All in all, its a cheap deal for what it is, I'm paying $145 right now for Telus 25 and TV....
Aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:25 AM   #96
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
Tried hard to look at why to stay with Telus, my 3 year was up 1 month ago so timing is fantastic. I hate shaw's interface for tv, we have it at work, but I think the $1000 I'll save over the next year will help that. Plus, I'm interested to see how shawgo wifi is, and free roam tv....All in all, its a cheap deal for what it is, I'm paying $145 right now for Telus 25 and TV....
Shaw has much better wifi coverage than Telus at the moment and freerange TV is fantastic. Can watch TV anywhere on Android, iOS and PC as long as the login is used, though I think you can only stream one or two sessions at a time.

Your house is wired for coax as all houses have been in the last few years, you'd have to drag a cable over to the nearest outlet for TV to work.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:27 AM   #97
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just to end the confusion if there still is any, the modem used for 150 can be bridged, I had my install on Sunday - The installer wasn't sure, but I contacted tech support and they flipped it no problem.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:29 AM   #98
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nm

Last edited by GreatWhiteEbola; 07-19-2016 at 10:42 AM.
GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:51 AM   #99
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
Just to end the confusion if there still is any, the modem used for 150 can be bridged, I had my install on Sunday - The installer wasn't sure, but I contacted tech support and they flipped it no problem.
Edit:

Found this online

Directly connect an Ethernet cable from the modem to the computer.
Open a web browser and enter the following address to access the gateway login page: 192.168.0.1.
Login with:
Username: cusadmin
Password: password
Once the Basic page has loaded, click the Gateway Function.
Toggle the Residential Gateway function box from Enabled to Disabled.
Click OK and the gateway will restart.
Once the modem is online, plug a device into port one to test their connectivity.
While in bridged mode, only port one will be active on the gateway.
Note: If you want to put the modem back into gateway mode, factory reset the modem by pressing the reset button on the back for more than 10 seconds.

HOWEVER
The shaw version of this modem does not have that feature listed.

Last edited by Diemenz; 07-19-2016 at 11:09 AM.
Diemenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:19 AM   #100
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

To further my above post I called and talked to shaw. No accessible Bridge mode on this modem.

They walked me through setting it up on IP passthrough and I had already disabled Radio so that step wasn't needed on my end. According to the tech I spoke to all Shaw does to "setup" bridge mode is activate your second IP and then turn on IP passthrough and disable Radio. If you previously had a modem bridged with them your second IP is already active so you can enable passthrough by yourself. On the screen it will ask what port you want to enable passthrough for, pick whatever you want just know that they are labelled 1-4 with 1 being the closest to the coax input.

Slight increase in speed on IP passthrough of a few mbps, ran the test 5 times and this was the lowest. All tests on WiFi

Last edited by Diemenz; 07-19-2016 at 11:27 AM.
Diemenz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diemenz For This Useful Post:

Tags
deal , moarspeed! , shaw , telus , wideopen150