Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2016, 08:11 PM   #641
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I've noticed it's usually how the channels are coding their episodes too.

For example, they won't tag an episode as new, so it doesn't get picked up by the PVR.
I never had an issue with Telus. It's pretty crazy that Telus can be so ahead of Shaw when it come to the T.V portion of their products. Telus T.V is miles better than Shaw T.V. I used to have Shaw and thought for sure things would have gotten better in the three or so years I didn't have it but it's just as bad, maybe worse.

The PVR with Telus held more recordings and I never had a problem with recording episodes being missed. It literally fails more than 50% of the time.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 09:12 AM   #642
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's weird, I have one fail maybe every few month, always because the guide info is wrong. What pvr are you using?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 09:20 AM   #643
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Weird, I have Shaw, never had an issue. My brother has Telus and he has had them out to look at his TV and box a few times now. Drops channels, pixelated pictures, guide not showing recordings.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 10:43 AM   #644
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've had Shaw Gateway for 6+ years now, the only issue was with a faulty HDMI cable, which I supplied. As a family, we record to 60% capacity every week(including Flames games with 1 hour overage), never an issue with programming.

GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 10:54 AM   #645
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gateway has been reliable for me too. Only issue I really have is you set a new program to record first run only but still get the repeats.

I bought the gateway the day it became available (jan 1 2010 I think?), is there newer hardware that you can upgrade to? That laggy menu interface continues to annoy.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 11:08 AM   #646
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I plugged a 2 TB drive into the gateway and have never had to worry about storage space. I don't know why they put such dinky little drives in them.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:11 AM   #647
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I don't know why they put such dinky little drives in them.
Because they wanted you to buy the expander drive from them.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 05:36 PM   #648
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
I bought the gateway the day it became available (jan 1 2010 I think?), is there newer hardware that you can upgrade to? That laggy menu interface continues to annoy.
There's the new XG1 that was released late last year. The interface is pretty snappy and works with the Shaw Gateway app though it's still limited to 1080p.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/.../10394913.aspx

It was $247 last year on BF but no discount this year.

Quote:
Shaw doesn't sell hard drives anymore and they've been historically very open to people using their own external drives unlike the American cable cos.

Last edited by accord1999; 11-27-2016 at 05:38 PM.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 10:52 PM   #649
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I thought they stopped selling the expander a long time ago. A few years back I was going to buy one and they didn't have one for sale. I ended up building one that was 3TB for roughly the same price as the 1TB Shaw used to sell. Been rock solid too, few years and zero issues. Very easy to build one yourself vs. buying a pre package.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:47 AM   #650
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

What's the latest on the Hitron?

I signed up last night for Internet 150 and am going to pick up the modem after work today. Should I request the Cisco, or have Hitron issues been resolved?

Also, anyone know if I can get it before returning the old modem? Ideally I'd like to connect the new one first, then return old one afterward.
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:02 AM   #651
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've done that before. I think you pick the new one up, and they bill your account and credit it when you return the old one. That was about 5 year sago though so it might have changed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2016, 10:04 AM   #652
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post

I signed up last night for Internet 150 and am going to pick up the modem after work today. Should I request the Cisco, or have Hitron issues been resolved?

Also, anyone know if I can get it before returning the old modem? Ideally I'd like to connect the new one first, then return old one afterward.
My brother-in-law just got Internet 150 and a modem yesterday, and he got the Hitron.

I'd also be curious to hear whether there has been a fix. We still have one at my office, and we haven't experienced the dead ethernet port problem in at least a month. But anecdotal info is anecdotal...
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2016, 11:26 AM   #653
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
My brother-in-law just got Internet 150 and a modem yesterday, and he got the Hitron.

I'd also be curious to hear whether there has been a fix. We still have one at my office, and we haven't experienced the dead ethernet port problem in at least a month. But anecdotal info is anecdotal...
I just got Internet 150 and the Hitron installed this weekend. The installer said they had a bad batch before but should be ok now. I also read there was a firmware update that supposedly fixed things. Will update if I have issues.
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flaming Choy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2016, 12:59 PM   #654
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post

Hitron issues should be resolved soon if not already resolved (it seems like it has been resolved though). If the issues are resolved with the sleeping ethernet ports and since the bridging/IP Passthrough isn't as annoying to set up anymore, IMO, Hitron all the way. My old Hitron installed at my parent's place is working fine. No sleeping ethernet ports. But I never got sleeping ports in the first place and no issues with my power line ports. I mean, worst case scenario, Shaw is pretty good in getting you replacements and sending techs out to look into issues.

Things to note: A Hitron looks better than the Cisco. The Cisco is about 15-20% bigger than the Hitron and looks like tech from the early 2000s. The Hitron is a nice square, sleek look and some friends had to do a second look at my mantle as they originally thought it was some weird art piece.

There's no point in waiting to return the old modem. You can only register one modem at a time to an account. The moment they activate the new modem, the old one is useless until you call in to get it set as the main modem again. You will lose internet until the new activated modem is installed.

What you can do though is to acquire the new modem but not activate it. Bring it home, plug it all in, then call in to activate the modem if you want to minimize down time. BUT, if you're going that route, just schedule an appointment with a Shaw installer.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2016, 01:35 PM   #655
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Things to note: A Hitron looks better than the Cisco. The Cisco is about 15-20% bigger than the Hitron and looks like tech from the early 2000s. The Hitron is a nice square, sleek look and some friends had to do a second look at my mantle as they originally thought it was some weird art piece.
This is a very good point. The Cisco is pretty big and fugly in comparison. Not a big deal for me personally as mine sits in my basement in the utility room.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2016, 01:20 PM   #656
Bob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone know if Shaw did something to their network? My average ping to gateway is now half what it used to be (~16 ms down to ~8 ms). That was one thing Telus always seemed to do better.
Spoiler!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:34 PM   #657
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally fixed my computer problems (aka have a different rig now).

Hardwired, but holy crap is this speed from Shaw fast - I'm registering 180 mps internet right now. Its insane. Its on the new page before I even finish clicking my mouse...
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:20 PM   #658
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Just got shaw 150 today and I'm not even hitting 100 with hardwired connection. Getting 95. Think something is wrong?
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:43 PM   #659
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Just got shaw 150 today and I'm not even hitting 100 with hardwired connection. Getting 95. Think something is wrong?
My first thought is, either your computer or the router/switch you connected it to doesn't support Gigabit, only 10/100Mbps.

It could be a bad cable, but unlikely...
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:47 PM   #660
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth22 View Post
My first thought is, either your computer or the router/switch you connected it to doesn't support Gigabit, only 10/100Mbps.

It could be a bad cable, but unlikely...
I think it's the computer. It's rather old. My phone did a wifi speed test at 123mbs. It's still over 90 while my wife is watching Netflix over Wifi in another room.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deal , moarspeed! , shaw , telus , wideopen150