Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-28-2017, 11:27 PM   #2021
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
Hatched a 100% slugma from a 2km egg yesterday.
My second 100%, along side my 100% kingler.
I, too, happen to have exactly 2 perfect Pokemon. Unfortunately, they're a 0% Caterpie and a 0% Magikarp. Kept them just because.

As I understand it, it's actually much more rare to get 0% than 100% due to eggs always rolling at least pretty good. Aren't I lucky!
Aegypticus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aegypticus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 11:37 PM   #2022
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Your high IV Gyarados will almost be 100 times your level, maxed out. 56% is unfortunate though. It's max will be at least 100 points lower CP, at your level, probably 150. Will also take another 80 candy to max it.
You are better than me though. Even though it would eat up 500 candy and 80k dust to make a meh Pokémon, I wouldn't be able to help myself. I'd have to.
I finally had enough magicarp candy on Sunday to evolve my first Gyarados. I had to choose between evolving one with high cp and lower IV, or one with lower CP but high IV. I evolved the one with high IV because I don't know how long it will take to get another 400 candies. I can always power up my high IV Gyarados.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:04 AM   #2023
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
You mentioned before players should wait and conserve Stardust until level 30. I have some high IV captures/hatches that are all level 20-22 like Dragonites (with steelwing/hurricane though), Gyarados with good moves, Vaporeons, Flareons, Jolteons (all good moves). Are these worth the Stardust powering up now or better to wait till to see if I can get better by level 30?
Anything that you know will be a keeper is good to dust, but I would limit that to highest CP Pokémon (Dragonite, Gyarados, Rhydon, etc).
As tempting it is to pump Eevee evolves, I would try to resist. Your pumped up Vaporeon will easily get passed by others as you approach higher levels, which doesn't mean it won't be good to use to in gym battles.

This is mostly talking from the standpoint of creating gym mons that will be higher standing in gyms.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:50 AM   #2024
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Anything that you know will be a keeper is good to dust, but I would limit that to highest CP Pokémon (Dragonite, Gyarados, Rhydon, etc).
As tempting it is to pump Eevee evolves, I would try to resist. Your pumped up Vaporeon will easily get passed by others as you approach higher levels, which doesn't mean it won't be good to use to in gym battles.

This is mostly talking from the standpoint of creating gym mons that will be higher standing in gyms.
Yes my two Gyarados are 95-100%, Rhydon is only 88% though but I think is good enough to power up since move set is optimal. I hesitate with my high IV Dragonite because of the Steelwing. Does that matter much though? I have another Dragonite with low IV but decent movement.

Just not sure if IV or moves are more important for higher level gym battles.
FlameOn is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 09:59 AM   #2025
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Yes my two Gyarados are 95-100%, Rhydon is only 88% though but I think is good enough to power up since move set is optimal. I hesitate with my high IV Dragonite because of the Steelwing. Does that matter much though? I have another Dragonite with low IV but decent movement.

Just not sure if IV or moves are more important for higher level gym battles.
Not an expert on battling by any means, but I do know that Niantic has said they are doing 3 more major updates in 2017, and the first one is a gym rework. I know they did a rebalancing in the last and people were upset that their optima, move sets were no longer so optimal, so maybe go with IV?

Again, I'm definitely a complete amateur at battling, but I'm thinking whatever rework they have coming down the pipe is really going to shake things up. Maybe good Pokemon today won't even be good anymore. I think everyone should be prepared for the whole thing to be turned upside down.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aegypticus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 02:00 PM   #2026
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure if an 'expert' in gym battles, but it is the only reason I played prior to Gen 2 coming out, and am sitting in 17 gyms. (We are bullies - tear down our gym and we will burn all of yours to the ground). Anyway, I wouldn't call this absolute truth, but I think it's very good advice:
All that matters for Pokémon to put in gyms is high IV, which translates to high CP. Also note that high attack translates into highest CP. And BTW, your high 80's or 90% IV Pokémon are definitely better than mine. I'm good to go with 75%+ IV with high attack. I am near the top of several 3000+ CP gyms where 60 points is the difference between 3rd place and 10th place in the gym, so at some point those few IV% points will make all the difference.

I basically have 3 subsets of Pokémon:
- High CP to put on gyms.
- High CP with best attacks to bring down gyms.
- 1500-1800 CP Pokémon with good attacks to build prestige. These will be water, electric, grass, etc.
So your Dragonite with steel wing is a perfect Pokémon to put in a gym. Dragonites are really only good gym placeholders, imo. There are far better to use to battle with (higher HP).

Aegypticus has a great point though. For example, prior to one of the last CP adjustments, Arcanine was a great gym placeholder. It took a big CP hit when they adjusted - which made them pretty much useless. They have changed the gym rules a few times and screwed up my roster of Pokémon that were effective. So keep in mind that what is a good strategy and roster now may not be at some point in the future.

Edit to add: Your lower CP Dragonite will still max out at higher CP than a 100% Vaporeon, for example. Within reason.

Last edited by EldrickOnIce; 03-29-2017 at 02:14 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 03:39 PM   #2027
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegypticus View Post
Id be less concerned about the strength of my dudes if I were in a better state when it comes to gyms. I really want to get into them and get some coins, but everything around here is dominated by blue, and I picked red because it's the best colour, obviously. As it stands, I've never had a Pokemon in a gym in my entire time playing, and most stuff here has the lowest Pokemon at around double my best. Seems like such an uphill battle to even get started on gyms.

Really looking forward to the promised gym overhaul. Hoping it becomes a bit more viable to get into them at below level 30, and it sure would be nice to see more than the same 5 Pokemon in every gym.
I am in the same boat. I chose red and it seems that every gym around my work and home are level 10 blue gyms. I know that I can never touch them so I don't bother. I have all but given up on battling again as unless it is a group of us and we can battle multiple times we are not doing anything.
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:18 PM   #2028
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here is a site that might help a little:
https://gymhuntr.com
It allows you to scan your local area (or anywhere) to see gym levels and the Pokémon in them. It might help you find some gyms to place Pokémon.

But yes, the field needs to be evened up some. By collecting in gyms for so long, bag has been 1000 items for a long time, so you have way more ammunition than lower level players. And without group play its almost impossible to get any foothold anywhere. We go as a pack of at least 5 or more. Tear down any level 10 gym in 20 minutes or less, using maybe 5 or 6 revives, then build it way up in no time too. I think Niantic will continue to and expand on promoting the social aspect of group play, so it might become even more important to team up.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:44 PM   #2029
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'd like to see all gyms available to all 3 teams at all times. Still have some system for owning the gym, but allow all players to get something out of it no matter how crappy you are. Maybe each team could have a progress bar and the highest one owns the gym or something.

Funny thing, my brother and I got into our first gym ever just 90 minutes ago. It was very strange. Gym was unclaimed and near where we were going, so we walked over before going into the bar. Nobody was there and it had been sitting for 5 minutes, so we popped in a 900 CP Quilfish and a 1250 Crobat and claimed our coins. It turned over twice in the next 45 minutes.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:33 PM   #2030
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegypticus View Post
I'd like to see all gyms available to all 3 teams at all times. Still have some system for owning the gym, but allow all players to get something out of it no matter how crappy you are. Maybe each team could have a progress bar and the highest one owns the gym or something.

Funny thing, my brother and I got into our first gym ever just 90 minutes ago. It was very strange. Gym was unclaimed and near where we were going, so we walked over before going into the bar. Nobody was there and it had been sitting for 5 minutes, so we popped in a 900 CP Quilfish and a 1250 Crobat and claimed our coins. It turned over twice in the next 45 minutes.
OK. So your brother and you. Now find one or two more and try attacking a gym. Count it down. 3-2-1 and hit go at same time to start battle together. It will show how many are engaged in top left corner (a few seconds after starting) and see how easy it is to breeze through your opponents.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2017, 01:15 AM   #2031
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got a Farfetch'd this morning in Kyoto!
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2017, 01:40 AM   #2032
jeffman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hatched 3 larvitar in a row evolved one to tyranitar
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2017, 05:28 AM   #2033
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
Got a Farfetch'd this morning in Kyoto!
I leave for Tokyo Saturday so the wife and I are hoping to catch one as Well!

Also stocked up on Tauros to troll gyms there
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I_H8_Crawford For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2017, 06:48 AM   #2034
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Caught a gold Magikarp a few hours after Farfetch'd! Lucky day, I guess!

Also I've gotten 6 or 7 10 km eggs since I've been in Japan. Still haven't hatched anything I need, though.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2017, 05:44 PM   #2035
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Evolved my Tyranitar as well! Finally got my second evolve item on my 7 day spin and got an upgrade, but I don't have enough candies. Doh. Guess I'm walking my porygon for awhile.
FlameOn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:15 AM   #2036
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Evolved my Tyranitar as well! Finally got my second evolve item on my 7 day spin and got an upgrade, but I don't have enough candies. Doh. Guess I'm walking my porygon for awhile.
I found a native Tyranitar a couple days ago. Need to start walking it so I can level it up. Still searching for a dragonite though.
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:50 AM   #2037
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Added Kingdra and Porygon2 today! Pokedex up to 225 out of a possible 234.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:06 PM   #2038
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

0.5 km away from Kabutops, and completing my gen 1.

20,000 xp away from level 30.

What to walk next? I think Snorlax, I need to power those guys up.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:38 PM   #2039
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

so.... horrible question to ask, I am well aware. My kid wants to play and I don't have time to level her up an account. Is it safe to buy a level 15 off ebay? Or are there safer sources to grab an extra account?
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:27 PM   #2040
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracher View Post
so.... horrible question to ask, I am well aware. My kid wants to play and I don't have time to level her up an account. Is it safe to buy a level 15 off ebay? Or are there safer sources to grab an extra account?
Why does your kid need a leveled up account?
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote