Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-15-2013, 02:22 PM   #1041
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here is some things - but of course PC puts it all to shame.

Spoiler!
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #1042
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
Just for clarity - the difference between 720 and 1080 is the difference between HD broadcast television(720) and Blue-ray(1080) correct?
Actually, most broadcast TV is available in 1080i/p (depending on your hardware, most is 1080i however) nowadays, and is only a few notches below Blu-Ray in bitrate.

That's not to say that some shows aren't compiled in 720p and upscaled to 1080i/p, but the majority (especially those made in the last 4-5 years) are at 1920x1080.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie
Couple things as I wade into the Microsoft slap down thread:

Whether 720p vs 1080p actually makes a difference depends on viewing distance and screen size. For many a gamer it will not make any tangible difference whatsoever. Especially with upscaling.

COD on the PS4 while 1080p native is struggles with frame rate and has noticeable issues in hectic areas. This is a case where a smooth running 720p is a much better experience than an inconsistent 1080p.
The major difference that even the average eye notices in 720 vs 1080 when it comes to 3D gaming, is the level of jaggies (or, aliasing). Anti-aliasing exists on all modern consoles to a degree, but as far as I know, none do MSAA (multi-sample AA, which applies smoothing to transparencies, decals, and particles), and only do 2x FXAA (post-process old style AA that only affects geometric edges, and usually only at a 2x refinement).

2x AA @ 720p is barely worth your time (takes ~8x AA to properly smooth the edge at that res), and 2x is okay at 1080, but 4x is the threshold of smoothness.

For shooters especially, AA allows you to have far more accuracy for distance shooting, and to help differentiate in objects via their silhouettes, since each geometric object retains it's intended detail and shape, rather than all sharing the same jagged edges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #1043
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Microsoft messaging isn't/hasn't gotten out. They have to keep pounding it out.

On Bloomberg even today. This was 180'd a long while ago. Come on man!

Old 11-15-2013, 02:31 PM   #1044
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
The Microsoft messaging isn't/hasn't gotten out. They have to keep pounding it out.

On Bloomberg even today. This was 180'd a long while ago. Come on man!

Microsoft has no one to blame but themselves. Their messaging for the Xbox One has been downright terrible
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #1045
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Well console never came...Future Shop sucks
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #1046
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got mine and got the update. It's having issues connecting to PSN, not surprisingly. Might just play some single player til it calms down a bit
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #1047
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently here is the HDMI issue that the rare person might come across. Remove it rather than trying to jam the cable in:

Old 11-15-2013, 03:23 PM   #1048
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
Just for clarity - the difference between 720 and 1080 is the difference between HD broadcast television(720) and Blue-ray(1080) correct?
No. HD broadcast is heavily compressed vs BD. This is why you see artifacts and degraded picture quality side by side with say a 1080i broadcast vs a 1080p BD.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:26 PM   #1049
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I walked into future shop @ 930 and walked out with a ps4 and ghosts....painless

And the graphics are stunning...I get killed because I stand around and look at stuff too much

-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #1050
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Any ideas on what they're worth on Kijiji? I can't really keep it, might as well sell it rather than return it.
Hard to say seeing how there is still availability in some stores. I expect a lot of people may have purchased consoles in hopes of making profit so Kijiji may be saturated with PS4 consoles with far few buyers than anticipated.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:31 PM   #1051
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Hard to say seeing how there is still availability in some stores. I expect a lot of people may have purchased consoles in hopes of making profit so Kijiji may be saturated with PS4 consoles with far few buyers than anticipated.
That's what I figured, but wasn't sure as there are some asking high prices on there still, didn't want to sell it for cheap and find out I missed out
Old 11-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #1052
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

I assume this image will get updated as more data comes in about various hard drive models:

Old 11-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #1053
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

^^ Looks like they are going easily for $580+ USD on ebay.com

Auction bids seem to be routinely around $600.

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #1054
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Best kijiji reply so far:

"do u smoke pot?"

Trying to setup for a trade I assume.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #1055
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Is there availability in stores though...everywhere I have called is sold out
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #1056
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearPizzaMan View Post
In the spirit of THUNDERDOME...

Now that console peasants are entering into HD gaming (well, almost), are there any launch titles that don't have superior PC counterparts? I was debating picking up a PS4, but there doesn't seem to be any compelling reason to do so this year.
That's why PS4's are widely available today unlike the PS3 which was sold out for weeks after release. Launch games simply aren't very good and the multiplatform games only offer better visuals over current gen. COD for example runs better on the 360 than the PS4 so why upgrade unless you have disposable income burning a hole in your pocket.

The XB1 has a slightly better launch lineup but unless you really want the new Kinect there's not a compelling reason to get one right away either unless you have to have Dead Rising 3 and Forza you can probably wait for Titanfall which looks like the first next gen killer app.

Bottom line is last gen was about the jump to HD all this gen is about is better resolution. Not nearly as compelling.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:40 PM   #1057
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was just playing around with Vita remote play and have to say if Sony markets that properly that can be a killer app.

From what I have read so far online if your speeds are quick enough there is very little lag, even if you are outside your home.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #1058
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I missed the mail delivery person so I got a door knocker. The person didn't tick any of the boxes in the "Your item will be available:" section though they did tick "Friday" in the business hours section. I'm just going to assume that means go on Friday.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:19 PM   #1059
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Bottom line is last gen was about the jump to HD all this gen is about is better resolution. Not nearly as compelling.
Yeah, the jump this time around isn't going to be as clear cut as PS2 to PS3 or Xbox to 360. Even the next generation. We're going to incrementally increase towards 4K rather than have single massive leaps I think.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:29 PM   #1060
TjRhythmic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Is anyone planning on getting an Xbox One, and possibly doesn't have one pre ordered.

I have a day one guaranteed console ticket, card, for the Deerfoot Meadows Future Shop.

The ticket secures one Xbox One for purchase at 8am on Nov. 22nd until store closing. Just need to take the ticket in and present it when purchasing it.

If anyone wants it, pm me.
TjRhythmic is offline   Reply With Quote