Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2016, 07:56 PM   #521
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

So, someone on reddit posted that if the CRTC actually has any balls they might let Bell actually buy all of MTS, but sell of the wireless side of the business to another bidder. Idea was that it would give Shaw, who already has a big Manitoba presence on the internet/TV side a way into the market. Shaw already owns Wind, but does not have spectrum in Manitoba, and this would be a great way for them to get some, plus get 500,000 subscribers.

Shaw bought Wind for $1.6 billion and they got a pretty decent network in major cities across Canada, plus a million customers so good cash flow. They also have decent amount of spectrum but no 700mhz if I remember right. If they bought MTS they would have 700mhz spectrum in Manitoba, plus grow to 1.5 million customers overnight, combine the Wind/MTS networks since MTS has roaming agreements across Canada, and the result would be a viable 4th carrier in Manitoba and across more of Canada. Also, because MTS sold their internet/TV business to Bell, it would create more competition in that space for Manitobans as Bell and Shaw would have to compete with each other.

Thoughts?
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2016, 02:51 PM   #522
fleuryisgod
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I was thinking about making the switch to Wind using this plan here...

http://www.windmobile.ca/plans-and-d.../everywhere-60

It seems to me that if I'm out of their coverage zone I'd still have 1 gig of data with unlimited texts across Canada and USA. To me this just seems to make a lot of sense. Currently I'm using the Koodo Saskatchewan plan which is the same price (I'd bring my own phone) but it seems to make sense to upgrade to double the data and free roaming in the USA.

Anyone have any experience with there everywhere plans and if they actually get decent coverage out of the cities?

Thanks!!
fleuryisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:49 PM   #523
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

My SIL is in the States with Wind and says the service has been OK. We do run into some issues in the city; which is why we switched my son to Koodo last summer.

I'd ask yourself the following:
- How often do you come close to 5 GB of data?
- How often do you limit yourself because of the 5 GB limit?
- How often do you go to the States?

IMHO you are giving up a better network in Calgary (and Canada) for the extra data and the US roaming.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:52 AM   #524
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Re-launched as "Freedom Mobile" - which is an incredibly stupid name - and Shaw is begginning to roll out LTE. Calgary and Edmonton to be upgraded by spring 2017:

http://mobilesyrup.com/2016/11/21/wi...n-november-27/
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:26 AM   #525
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Re-launched as "Freedom Mobile" - which is an incredibly stupid name - and Shaw is begginning to roll out LTE. Calgary and Edmonton to be upgraded by spring 2017:

http://mobilesyrup.com/2016/11/21/wi...n-november-27/

That has to be the cheapest re branding in history just order a couple new letters and keep the same color .Driving around in the boon-sticks that is okotoks last nite I had no internet.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:42 AM   #526
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I also hate that "$40 (for 12 months)" garbage on the promo. That they are making it damn near impossible to see the real price is pretty much ending any thought of switching.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:20 AM   #527
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow that's corny. Only thing that would make it worse is if a cartoon William Wallace was their mascot.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:25 AM   #528
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I also hate that "$40 (for 12 months)" garbage on the promo. That they are making it damn near impossible to see the real price is pretty much ending any thought of switching.

Also the LTE won't be here until "summer" 2017 so I'm not sure I want to go back to 3G either.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:09 AM   #529
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Ya I expect that of TELUS. The exact company people are trying to leave.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 12:53 PM   #530
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I guess the scratched out price above ($5 over the promo) is likely the ultimate price. Wish they had made that clearer.

Incidentally, I'm not sure anyone should get their hopes up on actually getting LTE speeds any time soon. Shaw's spectrum is AWS-3/band 66, which almost nothing supports right now. Probably not until iPhone8/Galaxy 8 before Apple and Samsung jump on board. Band 4 - which is widely supported - is rolled into band 66, but I have no idea if AWS-3 is backwards compatible.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:40 AM   #531
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Too bad as I was hoping Shaw could bundle their other offerings with solid wireless service. Would be great to have a solid network and all the benefits of bulk pricing.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 10:46 AM   #532
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Too bad as I was hoping Shaw could bundle their other offerings with solid wireless service. Would be great to have a solid network and all the benefits of bulk pricing.
Quote:
The three incumbents have had a big head start, they were given their big tranches of spectrum for free 30 years ago,” he said. “In order for us to be able to survive and have a sustainable offering, we need low band spectrum.”

Shaw plans to launch its own mobile service eventually, Krstajic said, but for now is setting up Freedom as a less expensive flanker brand, similar to Rogers-owned Fido and Telus’ Koodo.

“We’ve been pretty clear there’s going to be a need for two brands,” he said, although he kept silent on the timing.
http://business.financialpost.com/fp...-a-fresh-start
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2016, 12:08 PM   #533
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Do they even have any low-band spectrum?

The strength of Shaw is with their fiber backbone and WiFi Access Points across the country. Wind never had that kind of footprint. Would be foolish to not use it to their advantage.

Not sure why it is taking so long to combine the use of the Shaw WiFi with Wind plans.....
Old 11-22-2016, 12:56 PM   #534
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Not for LTE, Nope. So far as I know, they only have the AWS-3 spectrum that Wind bought. The lower band spectrum they previously bought in 2008 lied dormant and was eventually transferred over to Rogers. Whoops.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:31 PM   #535
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I am honestly amazed they got to a million subscribers...
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2016, 08:18 PM   #536
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm enjoying it while it lasts. I can't imagine it will be long before they cut the US roaming.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:02 PM   #537
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Incidentally, I'm not sure anyone should get their hopes up on actually getting LTE speeds any time soon. Shaw's spectrum is AWS-3/band 66, which almost nothing supports right now.
Nexus 6P doesn't support this?!
Old 05-18-2017, 09:55 AM   #538
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Has anybody switched to their LTE service? Supposedly it's live now in Calgary and Edmonton.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:20 AM   #539
Southside
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We dumped Freedom Mobile about 1 month back. We had 3 lines with them and over the last year or so, more specifically the last 3-6 months we found thier coverage starting to fail us. Delayed text messages, dropped calls, roaming where we never roamed before, etc. We thought about their LTE, but honestly after considering the monthly rates and price of phones, the Big 3 looked a lot better.

Wind was great for a few good years. We were very satisfied, advocated for them in fact. I don't know what happened (perhaps the Shaw purchase), but between the network that seemed to be falling apart and comparing plans and phone prices, they lost us.
Southside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 04:02 PM   #540
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Strange time to drop Wind IMO. Their LTE network is apparently pretty great.