Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-18-2015, 11:40 AM   #501
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Gotta think pricing will be pretty competitive until Wind has a better network. Otherwise people will just to the Big 3.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2015, 06:42 PM   #502
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Gotta think pricing will be pretty competitive until Wind has a better network. Otherwise people will just to the Big 3.
That's exactly it and they will remain low while Shaw is looking to attract customers.

It'll likely be lower until the a year or two after a low band LTE build out and out of city network gets built.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 08:11 PM   #503
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll stick with Shaw at a marginally higher price, so long as the US deal remains the same.
DoubleK is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoubleK For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2015, 02:45 PM   #504
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I`m on the fence about this deal! could be really for expansion, but really bad for prices.

How much of the mobile infrastructure does SHAW have left from the last time they tried to get into this? didn't they spend $1b+ to build towers and such a few years ago?
MrCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:05 PM   #505
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think that matters much. They changed the regs in 2014 to make companies cooperate and collocate on existing facilities.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:13 PM   #506
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCallahan View Post
I`m on the fence about this deal! could be really for expansion, but really bad for prices.

How much of the mobile infrastructure does SHAW have left from the last time they tried to get into this? didn't they spend $1b+ to build towers and such a few years ago?
The link in reply 489 mentions that Shaw sold their spectrum to Shaw - but for the deal to pass regulators, Rogers had to transfer some of its own spectrum to Wind. Sounds like by acquiring Wind, Shaw would be ahead of the game now as opposed to buying Wind and keeping its existing spectrum.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 04:22 PM   #507
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Someone should do a test and see how often they are within coverage range of existing Shaw Wifi Access points.

Reason being is because VoLTE and VoWiFi are supposed to work together seamlessly, and if Shaw could leverage their existing WiFi footprint they could have a fast start on everyone else.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 04:56 PM   #508
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Driving not much. Out and about I have Shaw Open coverage a fair amount of the time.

My gf has Shaw, I have Telus. We usually have wifi coverage through either provider once we get to wherever we are going.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:47 PM   #509
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

In case anyone is wondering about the timelines for the upgrades.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2016, 02:35 PM   #510
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Thoughts on Wind these days?

Can I buy a new iPhone (unlocked) and put a wind SIM in it? How's coverage? I'm almost always in the city, and when I go somewhere, it's usually to Edmonton, where I also should have coverage. If I plan to go somewhere else, I could buy a prepaid sim?

I'm currently with Bell, but both my wife and I are past the end of our contracts, and my phone's battery is awful.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:59 PM   #511
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Thoughts on Wind these days?

Can I buy a new iPhone (unlocked) and put a wind SIM in it? How's coverage? I'm almost always in the city, and when I go somewhere, it's usually to Edmonton, where I also should have coverage. If I plan to go somewhere else, I could buy a prepaid sim?

I'm currently with Bell, but both my wife and I are past the end of our contracts, and my phone's battery is awful.
Wind coverage is good in city and speeds are okay reasonable (was getting ~5Mbps down, 0.5 up in most places). You will roam outside the city on any of the Robellus towers otherwise at very reasonable rates so you don't need a prepaid sim unless you are out there for weeks, it's $0.05/MB so is pretty good. The frequency that Wind is on is not great so you may experience some not as great reception in larger concrete buildings.

Any unlocked phone that works with AWS-1 (1700Mhz band 4) will work on Winds current 3.5G network. AWS-3 (band 66) will be required for their LTE/4G network slated for late this year/early next year. No phones currently support band 66 but a new iPhone does support 1700/band 4.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2016, 03:19 PM   #512
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Wind coverage is good in city and speeds are okay reasonable (was getting ~5Mbps down, 0.5 up in most places). You will roam outside the city on any of the Robellus towers otherwise at very reasonable rates so you don't need a prepaid sim unless you are out there for weeks, it's $0.05/MB so is pretty good. The frequency that Wind is on is not great so you may experience some not as great reception in larger concrete buildings.

Any unlocked phone that works with AWS-1 (1700Mhz band 4) will work on Winds current 3.5G network. AWS-3 (band 66) will be required for their LTE/4G network slated for late this year/early next year. No phones currently support band 66 but a new iPhone does support 1700/band 4.
So basically, any phone bought right now won't be able to access their new network they are building?
Old 01-05-2016, 03:55 PM   #513
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
So basically, any phone bought right now won't be able to access their new network they are building?
Any phone bought right now that supports band 4 (i.e. iPhone) will support their 3.5G network based on what I understand from the slide deck capture I posted earlier. Their 4G LTE network rolls out with on AWS-3 first (meaning no current phones will support it) and the entire AWS-1 network will be converted to 4G at some later time in the 2016-2020 time frame. Based on this I don't think their LTE network will be supported by current phones to start with.

I have no idea how that slide came to be leaked in the first place. Might have been from some early deck that is no longer relevant so I could be wrong, but that is the information as I understand it.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2016, 11:07 AM   #514
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Looking at that Upgrade path is so odd. Weird to see the Wind orange replaced by Shaw blue.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:30 PM   #515
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just got a splashy email from Wind about improved service in Calgary. I will believe it when I see it, though to be honest it has been a lot better lately than this time last year.

It's on their Network Updates page as well.

I was really impressed visiting sis-in-law in Burnaby - great coverage, solid signal, and pretty good speeds from downtown Vancouver all the way to Abbotsford.

ETA: I'm curious if the dead zones I noticed with Wind have been improved - the worst were in the Blue arena at Crowchild Twin, and at Telus Spark.
billybob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:57 PM   #516
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob123 View Post
I just got a splashy email from Wind about improved service in Calgary. I will believe it when I see it, though to be honest it has been a lot better lately than this time last year.

It's on their Network Updates page as well.

I was really impressed visiting sis-in-law in Burnaby - great coverage, solid signal, and pretty good speeds from downtown Vancouver all the way to Abbotsford.

ETA: I'm curious if the dead zones I noticed with Wind have been improved - the worst were in the Blue arena at Crowchild Twin, and at Telus Spark.
I can't speak for those dead zones, but I will say that my general speed has increased significantly - 2 to 2.5 times faster than I was getting before. It is noticeable.

I also don;t find downtown as much as a dead zone now either, although admittingly that's generally just me driving through/stuck in traffic (kids watching a show type of thing).

I also just switched to the $60/month plan, 10GB data in a wind zone, 1 GB/unlimited texting/something like 40 hours of talking outside a wind zone. I.e. I can basically use my cell phone like just about anyone else now
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:36 AM   #517
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speeds have improved a lot. I've taken speed runs all over the city and the results here are typical of what you get now after all the upgrades.

I haven't had any real issues with signal either except inside the company warehouse. Even downtown that used to be a major problem.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:13 AM   #518
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup, that is around what I am getting. Signal strength and reliability has also quite improved.

Its still a discount carrier, so you have to expect some issues, but for the price and what I get...its a no brainer for me.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:18 AM   #519
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

I was with Rogers a year ago at $90 (had been with them for 15 years), with Fido now at $65. But I like having the quality network. But based on the latest opinions here I may need to make the jump at $40. Especially when I go over 2GB of date it is just a soft limit. Fido is charging when going over.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:40 PM   #520
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Check out the Koodo $48 plan thread. I switched my son from a grandfathered $33 unlimited Wind plan to Koodo about a year ago. The difference in the network speed and reliability was critical.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote