Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-22-2013, 01:37 PM   #201
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
Yeah? How do you figure that? Last year Bouwmeester was on the ice for 105 goals against. That's good for third most goals against in the league. He also had the 11th worst +/- in the NHL last year, a grand total of 884 NHL players had a better +/- then him last season.

You obviously wouldn't subtract Bouwmeester without adding another Dman. $6.7M in salary could buy something decent. I honestly think (and have for awhile) that getting him off of this team is instant addition by subtraction.

I agree but the time to do that was in the summer. I don't see a team trading a top 6 centermen or a 2nd pairing dman with grit for Bouw during the season. The only thing he could probably get back is, picks, prospects, and 3rd liners. None of that will help this season in making the playoffs and trying to convince Iggy to re-sign.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #202
EddyBeers
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
I agree but the time to do that was in the summer. I don't see a team trading a top 6 centermen or a 2nd pairing dman with grit for Bouw during the season. The only thing he could probably get back is, picks, prospects, and 3rd liners. None of that will help this season in making the playoffs and trying to convince Iggy to re-sign.
It might be enough to convince Iggy to waive his NMC and be traded to a contender for the playoffs though.
EddyBeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #203
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:
Well I think we all know by now that Jay Bouwmeester will not help the Calgary Flames in making the playoffs anyways.

You would have to figure some teams out there would have to look at his Panther years and figure their team/staff could get him back to his 15 goal/40 point form.

I think the biggest problem in moving him will be his agreement to waive his NTC.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #204
vektor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I hope we really light it up, or really really stink out the joint. Getting blown out 5 games in a row, last place in the league. Maybe then we'd can Bouwmeester, I want him off the team, forever. He's not worth 2 million a year. Someone disprove me:

-terrible shot
-never hits
-never clears the front of the net
-does not take position physically

in essence he's not a shut down guy and he's not an offense guy. He adds nothing, at all. Get him off the team now is my opinion, he's sucked for years, time to stop beating this dead horse. Whatever it takes don't let him wear a Flames jersey. I hope we buy him out this summer, re-sign Iginla cheap and start the rebuild process finally. This team has so many god damn holes, waiting for Jay Bouwmeester to find his way is going to make us the laughing stock of the league.
vektor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:09 PM   #205
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
Well I think we all know by now that Jay Bouwmeester will not help the Calgary Flames in making the playoffs anyways.

You would have to figure some teams out there would have to look at his Panther years and figure their team/staff could get him back to his 15 goal/40 point form.

I think the biggest problem in moving him will be his agreement to waive his NTC.
Waiving his NTC will be a problem but i still think the return for Bouw will lessen the chances of the flames making the playoffs. Just say they get a pick and prospect for him, do you think calling up Breen is going to make the flames better?

I don't like Bouw's game but he is still a serviceable top 4 d-man. Breen is not at this stage.

I do find it funny that some of the posters wanting Bouw gone for a bag of pucks, are the same that think Iggy will re-sign in Calgary if they don't make the playoffs. Not sure if you are one of them.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #206
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

As much of a dick move as I thought it was when Keenan broke Sarich's streak by benching him, they should sit Bouwmeester and get this damn Ironman streak out of his mind. Maybe then he'll start playing like a D-man and not like a ballerina.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #207
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
As much of a dick move as I thought it was when Keenan broke Sarich's streak by benching him, they should sit Bouwmeester and get this damn Ironman streak out of his mind. Maybe then he'll start playing like a D-man and not like a ballerina.
Do posters really think benching him will change the way Bouw plays? I'm for giving it a shot, but i doubt it will change anything.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:15 PM   #208
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do posters really think benching him will change the way Bouw plays? I'm for giving it a shot, but i doubt it will change anything.
Benching a 7 million dollar player to try and suggest you won't play ownership's big ticket player is laughable. Benching him to break the "avoid an injury" streak might be different.

But you're probably right, it's likely just not in him.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:15 PM   #209
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

Could we not trade him to whoever has our missing draft pick in exchange for that draft...free up cap and then make 1 year offer on one of the top RFA's that their team would be hard pressed to match....we would be rolling the dice that the player wants to re sign for more accurate money the next year but it might be worth it.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #210
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I guess it wouldn't hurt. Its not like he can play any crappier. Maybe that way, he won't be scared to get hurt and actually play with more intensity.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #211
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if he would waive to go to Edmonton? That would be awesome!
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #212
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
How I see that playing out....

Hartley: "Bouwmeester, how would you feel if I bench you next game?! How would you like it if your ironman streak ended that way?!?!"

Bouwmeester:

Hartley: "You'd be pissed though! Right?!?! That'd get you mad!"

Bouwmeester:

Last edited by The Fonz; 01-22-2013 at 02:25 PM.
The Fonz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #213
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammertime View Post
I lost faith in him last season when the Pens were in town, and sportsnet showed a clip of Crosby making Jay look foolish 1 on 1 the previous time they met. A few shifts later, Crosby does the exact same thing and blows by Jay to put the Pens up by 1. At that point, I knew that the book is out on Bouwmeester and he's an overrated number 4/5 Dman at best.
I remember the exact same play.

I also remember giving Bouwmeester **** for it on either these boards or HF and getting crucified for it...
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #214
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

well if we judge defenseman on highlight real goals opposing generational talent forwards scored on them, most dmen would be ridiculed in the league.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #215
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
well if we judge defenseman on highlight real goals opposing generational talent forwards scored on them, most dmen would be ridiculed in the league.
what about also good talented forwards, average talented forwards, mediocre talented forwards, guys that can barely skate, etc..?
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #216
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I think a kick in the ass is the only thing that works on the guy. He's very comfortable, very casual. But there are emotions there, see: The way he played after being left off the 2010 Olympic team and the way he played after the Peca thing. He looked like an ####### for a couple games.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #217
RITFW
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I wonder if he would waive to go to Edmonton? That would be awesome!
Maybe the Flames could get a Jordan Leopold type guy and a 3rd rounder. Maybe not.
RITFW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RITFW For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #218
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RITFW View Post
Maybe the Flames could get a Jordan Leopold type guy and a 3rd rounder. Maybe not.
Thanks for kicking us when we're already down.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phanuthier For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #219
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
what about also good talented forwards, average talented forwards, mediocre talented forwards, guys that can barely skate, etc..?
haha, not the point i was trying to make. Bouwmeester can look avg and 4' tall due to most forwards in the league.

However, stating all faith in the guy was lost the day Sidney Crosby made him look foolish is an unfair standard/bar. that is what i was trying to get at, at least
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:10 PM   #220
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
Thanks for kicking us when we're already down.
you gotta laugh at it.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote