Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2017, 10:15 PM   #321
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also 5% down and dual income purchasers have both increased prices but also the ability to pay those prices. So the person today only needs 35k but also they should move out of Van or Toronto or wherever they are if the job they are in doesn't support the home ownership options they want.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:25 PM   #322
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
One final problem to address: where, other than in Vancouver or Toronto, is $750,000 representative of a starter home?

Comparable homes, in normal areas, when factored for interest rates, are not 3 to 4 times more expensive, as you were originally presenting them to be.

At least not when compared to the late 70s or early 80s. The 90s? Sure. Because housing prices had been flat for a while and weren't all that expensive compared to other periods.

Again, I am not saying things aren't tough right now. But the dates used in the original post to this chain were random and didn't represent anything close to the worst times to buy.

As your numbers show, once mtge rates are factored in, the differences are quite a bit less than the headline price implies. Looking at the early 80s, and comparing starter home to starter home, it isn't as crazy as some people want to believe.
Lol...$750k does not get you a starter home in Vancouver or Toronto anymore...

You can buy an actual home on the street my parents bought their starter home for in Hawkwood Calgary for about $700k. The home is over 30 years old now, and falling apart. They got a brand new home. Every home on that street was filled with young parents in their 20s. They all had brand newly built houses.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 11:32 PM   #323
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
One final problem to address: where, other than in Vancouver or Toronto, is $750,000 representative of a starter home?

Comparable homes, in normal areas, when factored for interest rates, are not 3 to 4 times more expensive, as you were originally presenting them to be.

At least not when compared to the late 70s or early 80s. The 90s? Sure. Because housing prices had been flat for a while and weren't all that expensive compared to other periods.

Again, I am not saying things aren't tough right now. But the dates used in the original post to this chain were random and didn't represent anything close to the worst times to buy.

As your numbers show, once mtge rates are factored in, the differences are quite a bit less than the headline price implies. Looking at the early 80s, and comparing starter home to starter home, it isn't as crazy as some people want to believe.
I didn't come up with those numbers, they were real world examples from another poster talking about houses he and his parents bought. Feel free to provide your own that show that the current rate of affordability isn't completely out of whack though.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:40 PM   #324
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Lol...$750k does not get you a starter home in Vancouver or Toronto anymore...

You can buy an actual home on the street my parents bought their starter home for in Hawkwood Calgary for about $700k. The home is over 30 years old now, and falling apart. They got a brand new home. Every home on that street was filled with young parents in their 20s. They all had brand newly built houses.
Yeah, the same ratios apply in a lot of places. I have relatives who live on Vancouver Island. They bought a house in the mid '70s for ~$30K, their son bought a house in the same neighborhood in 2002 for $105K. Now those same houses (now 40+ years old) are worth $350-400K. Newer houses in the same area go for $450-500K.

Once again the mid '70s price and the price 25-30 years later is pretty much identical after accounting for inflation (both are ~$135K in today's dollars) while the current price is nearly 3 times as expensive.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:58 AM   #325
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Yeah, the same ratios apply in a lot of places. I have relatives who live on Vancouver Island. They bought a house in the mid '70s for ~$30K, their son bought a house in the same neighborhood in 2002 for $105K. Now those same houses (now 40+ years old) are worth $350-400K. Newer houses in the same area go for $450-500K.

Once again the mid '70s price and the price 25-30 years later is pretty much identical after accounting for inflation (both are ~$135K in today's dollars) while the current price is nearly 3 times as expensive.
But the cost of borrowing is all but free, which is what is actually inflating house prices
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 06:43 AM   #326
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever_Iggy View Post
Interesting read. As I said in my follow up post, I am an inactive investor for the majority of my investment portfolio. The part that I do play with, my returns are more moderate and I would have been better just lumping it into the bulk of my investments.

My posts weren't meant to brag or take a side. It was more to point out my nativity on the matter and that my experience was different than another posters. Since we are dealing largely with anecdotal examples, I offered mine.
I wasn't having a go...If you're a passive investor and realize that your play money would've been better off in the index you're doing pretty well.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:45 AM   #327
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
If you are regularly beating bench-marks, then you are either a criminal or incredibly lucky.

For goodness sake, I have a CFA 1 and I work in marketing, and I know this stuff. I barely passed Grade 12 math, and I get that the law of averages applies for a reason.
Skip the ethics section?

Congrats for signing up.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rutuu For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 06:55 AM   #328
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a train wreck this has turned into....
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 07:03 AM   #329
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyboy2 View Post
. . . people who know me would tell you I am NOT the smartest man in the room, but I am the most genuine and interesting.
Impossible.

He is:

HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HockeyIlliterate For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 08:53 AM   #330
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I didn't come up with those numbers, they were real world examples from another poster talking about houses he and his parents bought. Feel free to provide your own that show that the current rate of affordability isn't completely out of whack though.
I know you didn't. I didn't either. I have continuously referred to the early eighties. But there are so many different discussions and poor comparisons in this thread.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:23 AM   #331
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Actually your example proves the opposite given that you're comparing a 29 year period with extremely high inflation to a 19 year period with low inflation. $39K in 1969 was equivalent to $184K in 1998 dollars, so those prices are dead on. On the other hand, $185K in 1998 dollars is equivalent to $264K today so the $750K example is nearly 3 times more expensive after accounting for inflation.
I don't think its fair to compare the same property in the same city.

The city has changed. Buying a house in a 500k city is different than buying a house in a 1 million person city. The distance from the new housing stock greatly affects the price the person is willing to pay. Any comparison should really be done on new construction at the suburban edge of the city if you want apples to apples. As you can't expect a city to grow in size and not have higher property values the closer you are to downtown.

It would be like moving from Saskatoon to Calgary and expecting prices to remain the same.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 09:40 AM   #332
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I don't know what any of you are talking about but near Mexico you can get like 10 avocados for a dollar.

Pretty much solves this whole thread, you're welcome.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 09:54 AM   #333
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I don't know what any of you are talking about but near Mexico you can get like 10 avocados for a dollar.

You're right, going to Mexico really does mostly solve the problem.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:54 AM   #334
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post

Yah, but how much is the bread??
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:56 AM   #335
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Great point, just goes to show you have deep and varied this conversation is. Avocados, bread, so many costs to consider.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 09:58 AM   #336
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I don't think its fair to compare the same property in the same city.

The city has changed. Buying a house in a 500k city is different than buying a house in a 1 million person city. The distance from the new housing stock greatly affects the price the person is willing to pay. Any comparison should really be done on new construction at the suburban edge of the city if you want apples to apples. As you can't expect a city to grow in size and not have higher property values the closer you are to downtown.

It would be like moving from Saskatoon to Calgary and expecting prices to remain the same.
This is a good point. So many other factors go into housing costs. You know where houses have remained relatively stable for the last few decades? Houston. Never mind the ring roads upon ring roads of sprawl and impending infrastructure maintenance disaster. (hidden costs)

People lobbied the government for easier home ownership 20 years ago. Next thing you know we ended up with 0% down 40 year mortgages. The market exploded and when everything settled out the same wealthy 2/3rds of Canadians could own.

Meanwhile in the last 30 years the population of Calgary has gone from 600k to 1.3 million. Go 30 years further back to 1956 and the population of Calgary was 180k. My buddy pays $1,300 US/month to rent a 200 sq. ft. studio a 30 minute train ride from Manhattan. You probably couldn't find a studio that small in Somerset but it sure as hell isn't going to cost you near that much. Simple supply and demand.

Your average post war bungalow built in the 50's was 1,000 sq. ft or so. What's an average suburban starter home? 1,800 sq. ft? Comparing apples to apples, starter homes on the edge of the city where the land is practically worthless, a modern home should cost double - it's twice the size.

So government intervention, rapid population growth and huge homes. Is it really a surprise that homes have gotten more expensive? Oh yeah, don't forget the easy access to free money.
kevman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:59 AM   #337
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
It's Mexico, you use tortillas. Perfect for your Instagram.

Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:04 PM   #338
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyIlliterate View Post
Impossible.

He is:

I am now disappointed his name isn't Hockeyboy2X.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:20 PM   #339
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyboy2 View Post
You have yourself a great day.
Oh Hockeyboy2, he's as smooth as he is handsome!
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 02:43 PM   #340
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

via Imgflip Meme Generator
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post: