Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2017, 07:03 AM   #341
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really wish they wouldn't do those sorts of comparisons. It's "car vs car shaped transportation object". Without being in it you can't really understand that it's a totally different feeling. And if you're an enthusiast, it's not a feeling you particularly want. You might as well be comparing a car to a bullet train. There's a reason they call it (and the NSX for that matter) "driving your laptop".
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2017, 08:00 AM   #342
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I really wish they wouldn't do those sorts of comparisons. It's "car vs car shaped transportation object". Without being in it you can't really understand that it's a totally different feeling. And if you're an enthusiast, it's not a feeling you particularly want. You might as well be comparing a car to a bullet train. There's a reason they call it (and the NSX for that matter) "driving your laptop".
I think the arguement is that for the price and interior and trunk space you get a sports car instead of a toaster with wheels. Though really they should be comparing to the equivalent bmws in a test like that
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:09 AM   #343
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

You don't get a sports car. That's my point. It's not really a sports car. I've no doubt that that driving experience is what some people might be into, because tastes vary in cars as much as anything else. But it is, in fact, a very fast toaster with wheels. Purely as a mode of transport, the only things standing between the present reality and "everyone who wants a practical vehicle for transportation should own one of these" is the cost, battery reliability in cold climates (which you'd hope they have a hold of by 2030) and the potential environmental concerns associated with scale (e.g. what would manufacturing and disposal of batteries for 200 million cars look like). But comparing them from a performance perspective just doesn't make any sense to me. I'd happily drive a Tesla as a practical vehicle. I don't have any desire to drive a Tesla as a car for fun.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:17 AM   #344
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting info on Tesla in the cold:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre...driving.64591/

Unfortunately he doesn't say how cold. Going from heated garage to heated garage shouldn't be a problem, but, say, driving to Lake Louise and leaving it all day? I wonder if it would have the range for that round trip in -15.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:35 AM   #345
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Interesting info on Tesla in the cold:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre...driving.64591/

Unfortunately he doesn't say how cold. Going from heated garage to heated garage shouldn't be a problem, but, say, driving to Lake Louise and leaving it all day? I wonder if it would have the range for that round trip in -15.
I would think a 100D wouldn't be an issue. The range is 530km.
With our 85D, the range is 436km and it's tight. Depending on how cold it is, we lose about 25-30% if the car is left outside like that. So from experience, in -20, doing 120km/hr, I would fill up on the way home at the Canmore supercharger and have plenty of charge to get home. That's my way of saying, I don't think it would make it, with me being able to stay warm doing the speed I want to. The car will make it home, BUT once the battery gets low, the car will go into conserve mode. The heater turns down, and the car will slow down. I would make it, but could be crawling. Heated garage to heated garage, no problem. The key is starting the car with the app, and warming up the battery before you go out. At Lake Louise, you turn the car on while getting ready to go. Toasty car when you get to it.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2017, 09:03 AM   #346
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
I would think a 100D wouldn't be an issue. The range is 530km.
With our 85D, the range is 436km and it's tight. Depending on how cold it is, we lose about 25-30% if the car is left outside like that. So from experience, in -20, doing 120km/hr, I would fill up on the way home at the Canmore supercharger and have plenty of charge to get home. That's my way of saying, I don't think it would make it, with me being able to stay warm doing the speed I want to. The car will make it home, BUT once the battery gets low, the car will go into conserve mode. The heater turns down, and the car will slow down. I would make it, but could be crawling. Heated garage to heated garage, no problem. The key is starting the car with the app, and warming up the battery before you go out. At Lake Louise, you turn the car on while getting ready to go. Toasty car when you get to it.
How long does a "fill" at the super charger take? Just curious.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:14 AM   #347
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzie_DeBear View Post
I looked at almost every car on the planet when I bought my last vehicle. And it came down to two: The Tesla and the RS7.

And in the end, there was no comparison between the two. The RS7 was more car in every way.

These guys had a clear agenda on that episode. I mean, they were talking about long road trips (something that many of us do), and for some reason they tried to criticize the Audi for being able to go more than 500 miles (800 kms). Somehow this was presented as a negative.

Meanwhile, the fact that the Tesla has to hit a charging station - and sit there for an hour - every 300-400 kms (as long as it isn't too cold) was brushed aside as a small inconvenience.

As Corsi was saying, you have to sit in a car and drive it to know what it is about. And driving the Tesla was not the same (driving a laptop, as Corsi put it).

Anyway, not sure what your point of posting this was. I assume it was to show that EVs can be better sports cars than ICs.

My view on it is that the Tesla is an amazing vehicle. And it is nice to know that it is possible to have an awesome driving machine, even with an EV.

if we ever get to the point where electricity is produced without burning fossil fuels, then we'll really be off to the races.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:26 AM   #348
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
How long does a "fill" at the super charger take? Just curious.
20-30 mins for 80% charge. After that it slows down substantially and if you want it filled right up, it will be a little over an hour. I only charge to 100% at home before a road trip, or at a hotel. The Banff springs offers free valet and charging, so I set the charging to 100. Normally at home my charging is set to 70% to preserve the battery and it's plenty of kms for us around town.

Last edited by bossy22; 05-13-2017 at 09:50 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2017, 09:37 AM   #349
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Doing a roadtrip in a Tesla. Say to Vancouver, or California for that matter, the car will tell you where all the superchargers are and you stop as you need. But it's not like getting gas. Your stop is 30 mins. Going to Vancouver with the family, comparing our old SUV to the Tesla, takes a couple of hours longer. If I'm alone, I like to get where I'm going. I stop only for gas, and eat in the car so that time difference would be larger.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:58 AM   #350
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was a big issue for me.

If you're staying relatively close to the city, and you can charge at night, no problem. Works like a charm.

But they aren't good for long trips yet.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:28 AM   #351
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
You might be surprised to hear that millennials are actually shockingly similar to boomers when boomers were that age in the 60s and into the 70s.

Anti-establishment, environmental, communal, spiritually, as opposed to monetarially driven. The similarities are astounding, now that I think about it more.

A lot of people thought society, as it was known, was coming to an end because kids (lazy hipsters) didn't seem interested in careers or other traditional things that drove society.

But a funny thing happened on the way to the commune... as we age, our priorities change.
Different environment altogether. Less career opportunities and less affordable housing means more people choosing to not have kids and live in places where they don't need cars. The data from Seattle for instance seems to be confirming that.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-...re-the-reason/
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:29 AM   #352
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There's also a heavily discussed thread going on at Tesla Motor Club regarding a new discovery that for some models, after doing a moderate number of fast DC charging sessions, the car's peak charging rate will be reduced in order to protect the battery from wear.

https://electrek.co/2017/05/07/tesla...umber-charges/
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre...harging.90230/

Which goes to show just how hard it is to match the ease of transferring huge amounts of energy quickly with liquid fuels.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2017, 10:48 AM   #353
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
There's also a heavily discussed thread going on at Tesla Motor Club regarding a new discovery that for some models, after doing a moderate number of fast DC charging sessions, the car's peak charging rate will be reduced in order to protect the battery from wear.

https://electrek.co/2017/05/07/tesla...umber-charges/
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre...harging.90230/

Which goes to show just how hard it is to match the ease of transferring huge amounts of energy quickly with liquid fuels.
This is true. It's known that you shouldn't use superchargers regularly. To keep your battery life extended, limit supercharger use. So only for road trips. Also, charge between 50 and 80% the majority of the time. And in winter, warm up your car. If you follow those rules, your battery can last a long time. My buddy's Roadster has only had a 10% degradation in his battery over the past 8 years.
Some people want free power and were charging at superchargers all of the time. With our car, we get free unlimited supercharging. With new models, Tesla is giving credits/year 400kwh which equates to approx 1000 miles. So you are limited to how much you can use them. After that you have to pay. 24cents/minute above 60kW, and 19 cents/minute below 60kW. This is to help keep battery life extended, as well as pay for all of these new chargers going in.
We've only had our car for a year and half and it's testing at 100%. We follow the recommend guidelines, and I fully expect to get 10 years out of the battery.

I don't know how Tesla is dealing with the degraded batteries. They have a 8 year unlimited warranty, so I imagine Tesla will just have to replace them.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:03 AM   #354
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Don't they have a recycling process to reuse a lot of the parts from the old batteries?
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 11:28 AM   #355
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Don't they have a recycling process to reuse a lot of the parts from the old batteries?
https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/blog/tes...ycling-program
Old 05-13-2017, 12:29 PM   #356
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Different environment altogether. Less career opportunities and less affordable housing means more people choosing to not have kids and live in places where they don't need cars. The data from Seattle for instance seems to be confirming that.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-...re-the-reason/
Not as different as you think.

First of all, every generation has lamented a lack of career opportunities. I graduated during a terrible recession and everyone I knew whined that we would be the first generation worse off than our parents. We weren't of course. And if I had a dollar for every time I've heard that since!

But back to your post...

In the 60s, there was a tremendous amount of concern that the baby boom would mean that there wouldn't be enough jobs to go around.

Also, there was a huge movement to not have children because: too much war, too much pollution, and not enough jobs.

There were reasons why communes were a thing - it wasn't just because it made for a great place to get high and live naked.

As for millenials in Seattle not owning cars, again, let's wait until they get a bit older before we burn all the infrastructure to the ground.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2017, 12:38 PM   #357
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2017, 03:21 PM   #358
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting twist that they seem to have used the Audi 7 series as their car
Old 05-13-2017, 03:30 PM   #359
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

So with those StoreDot cells, what are the drawbacks? Expensive? Lack of disposability? What's holding them back?
Old 05-13-2017, 03:46 PM   #360
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
So with those StoreDot cells, what are the drawbacks? Expensive? Lack of disposability? What's holding them back?
Apparently there is stability issues with the reactions. If the proper reaction occurs, unloading charge and recharging are fast and fully reversible. To date I believe, the issue is side reactions consume the anode making lifecycle of the battery is too short
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post: